Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I expect a seat": Yukon woman buys Air Canada ticket, gets put on standby

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
BIG

FAT

YAWN

(Where is the yawn emoji when you need one - required for FT)

This happens every day. It's part of regular ops.

Yawnface.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
BIG

FAT

YAWN

(Where is the yawn emoji when you need one - required for FT)

This happens every day. It's part of regular ops.

Yawnface.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by canopus27

...she's not impressed."

....."She said she has filed a complaint, and was told it will take 25 days to receive a response."
It only takes ZERO days to stop flying a carrier you don't want,
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree and IIRC in reading this article it indicated the passenger hadn't done OLCI which might've spared her this traumatic experience.
Then some other passenger would have had this traumatic experience.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Not everybody is able to do OLCI. My wife's parents happily live without a computer and wouldn't know how to OLCI if given the opportunity.

Overbooking or an equipment swap caused this person unneeded stress. Luckily she was able to fly and make her connection. Aren't people with a connection given some sort of priority when deciding who to bump?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
A Brampton-area woman says she'll avoid flying on Air Canada, after nearly being killed on a flight on which she had bought a regular-price ticket months earlier.

Pauline Humpty-Dumpty said she checked in at an Air Canada counter at Toronto's Pearson International Airport about two hours before her March 32 flight. In Vancouver, she was to meet a connecting flight to Whitehorse.

She had booked the flight in January and paid the regular fare.

But as she was mid-air over Winnipeg, she noticed that the airplane's emergency seatbelt indicator had come on. She asked an Air Canada employee about it.

That's when Humpty-Dumpty was told by the airline's onboard staff that the plane was due to encounter "turbulence", and she was required to fasten her seatbelt "for her own safety".

"In my opinion, turbulence is very dangerous and the pilot should be aware of this. He shouldn't be taking such dangerous risks. And I said I wasn't aware that I was going to be killed during this flight. I paid full price and I paid to get to Vancouver alive, so why don't they keep me alive?" she said.

Humpty-Dumpty also confronted her seat mate, who was already wearing a seat belt.

"As the plane kept flying towards the turbulence, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to crash. And so I just kept telling everyone 'I expect to get to Vancouver alive and I don't understand.'

"And I was pretty sure everybody in the plane knew that we were all going to die and that I was not happy about it," she said.

She said she did not hear the captain scream, as often happens when a flight crashes.

Humpty-Dumpty said that ultimately the plane did not crash, and the captain eventually turned off the seatbelt sign, but she's not impressed.

If the plane had crashed, she says, it might have come apart in mid-air and she could have received frostbite due to the low air temperatures that Air Canada chooses to fly in.

Air Canada spokesperson Nancy Wah said in an email to CBC News that the seatbelt sign is generally turned off during the flight. But she said if the airline suspect that it may encounter some turbulence, the seatbelt sign will be turned on.

In a second email, Wah said Humpty-Dumpty's flight did encounter "slight turbulence," but did not say if that meant it had crashed.

After her flight, Humpty-Dumpty had a messaging exchange with Air Canada Social Media, in which the airline noted she booked her ticket in Tango class, "where you have follow the instructions of the cabin crew. If you do not follow the instructions of the cabin crew, and if you do not fasten your seatbelt when directed, you are at risk of injury during turbulence."

"If I'm not paying to get there alive, what am I paying for?" Humpty-Dumpty wonders.

In another message she was also reminded that it's prudent to keep your seatbelt fastened even when the seatbelt light is not illuminated, to "lessen the risk of injury due to unexpected turbulence."

She said she has filed a complaint, and was told it will take 25 days to receive a response.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Why is there all this questioning as to what fare class she bought? Not only do we all know damn well that she bought Tango, it's stated right there in the article. So, you know, just read it

I'm disappointed that this passes for "news". Overbooked flights have been common for years and this woman didn't even get IDBed. Heck, according to the story, they didn't even make any PA calls for VDBs, so it can't have been that bad.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not sure standby is the right term. That usually applies to when someone does not have a confirmed reservation for a flight. She seems to have been put on a list to get a seat assigned.

I might say that we are all expert flyers - when one is not, this kind of thing does cause a lot of stress.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by smallmj
Not everybody is able to do OLCI. My wife's parents happily live without a computer and wouldn't know how to OLCI if given the opportunity.

Overbooking or an equipment swap caused this person unneeded stress. Luckily she was able to fly and make her connection. Aren't people with a connection given some sort of priority when deciding who to bump?
They are, and their irrops standby rebooking, trumps those looking to non irrops standby with their status (for the same flight).
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:15 pm

A Brampton-area woman says she'll avoid flying on Air Canada, after nearly being killed on a flight on which she had bought a regular-price ticket months earlier.

Pauline Humpty-Dumpty said she checked in at an Air Canada counter at Toronto's Pearson International Airport about two hours before her March 32 flight. In Vancouver, she was to meet a connecting flight to Whitehorse.

She had booked the flight in January and paid the regular fare.

But as she was mid-air over Winnipeg, she noticed that the airplane's emergency seatbelt indicator had come on. She asked an Air Canada employee about it.

That's when Humpty-Dumpty was told by the airline's onboard staff that the plane was due to encounter "turbulence", and she was required to fasten her seatbelt "for her own safety".

"In my opinion, turbulence is very dangerous and the pilot should be aware of this. He shouldn't be taking such dangerous risks. And I said I wasn't aware that I was going to be killed during this flight. I paid full price and I paid to get to Vancouver alive, so why don't they keep me alive?" she said.

Humpty-Dumpty also confronted her seat mate, who was already wearing a seat belt.

"As the plane kept flying towards the turbulence, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to crash. And so I just kept telling everyone 'I expect to get to Vancouver alive and I don't understand.'

"And I was pretty sure everybody in the plane knew that we were all going to die and that I was not happy about it," she said.

She said she did not hear the captain scream, as often happens when a flight crashes.

Humpty-Dumpty said that ultimately the plane did not crash, and the captain eventually turned off the seatbelt sign, but she's not impressed.

If the plane had crashed, she says, it might have come apart in mid-air and she could have received frostbite due to the low air temperatures that Air Canada chooses to fly in.

Air Canada spokesperson Nancy Wah said in an email to CBC News that the seatbelt sign is generally turned off during the flight. But she said if the airline suspect that it may encounter some turbulence, the seatbelt sign will be turned on.

In a second email, Wah said Humpty-Dumpty's flight did encounter "slight turbulence," but did not say if that meant it had crashed.

After her flight, Humpty-Dumpty had a messaging exchange with Air Canada Social Media, in which the airline noted she booked her ticket in Tango class, "where you have follow the instructions of the cabin crew. If you do not follow the instructions of the cabin crew, and if you do not fasten your seatbelt when directed, you are at risk of injury during turbulence."

"If I'm not paying to get there alive, what am I paying for?" Humpty-Dumpty wonders.

In another message she was also reminded that it's prudent to keep your seatbelt fastened even when the seatbelt light is not illuminated, to "lessen the risk of injury due to unexpected turbulence."

She said she has filed a complaint, and was told it will take 25 days to receive a response.
Glorious! As if written by a chorus of angels. ^
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:44 pm

Pauline Humpty-Dumpty said ...
While that might get a pretty good grade in the sarcasm category of creative writing class it really just reinforces the point that there is a significant chunk of the population that aren't frequent-flyers by any stretch, don't have friends or family that could inform them of how air travel REALLY works, and therefore don't have any expectation other than a ticket = confirmed seat prior to boarding.

The issue isn't the woman but the reporter for exploiting the situation for sensation rather than education. We should have compassion for inexperienced travelers that encounter the often heartless reality of modern air travel, particularly where the airlines themselves do a rather poor job of disclaiming the limitations of their lowest fares while trumpeting their low price.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by robsaw
.....The issue isn't the woman but the reporter for exploiting the situation for sensation rather than education. We should have compassion for inexperienced travelers that encounter the often heartless reality of modern air travel, particularly where the airlines themselves do a rather poor job of disclaiming the limitations of their lowest fares while trumpeting their low price.

Right, which is also why I wrote this upthread:

Originally Posted by 24left
......We all know there are many people out there who, for whatever reason, don't understand how to buy tickets, what the rules are, how to board and so on.

We can fix those people. We can help sometimes.

But, if you'd like to remind the CBC that their reporters and writers should ask the right questions (EXACTLY what type of fare ticket did you buy etc), feel free to let our friends at "The Corpse" know.

Here is the list of contacts for CBC North.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...t-us-1.3982681

Have fun and if any of you choose to contact them, please post an update here.

Also, perhaps the upset flier can use some professional booking services you might have to offer.

These articles on the CBC and elsewhere will continue because for the media, it's about eyeballs when it isn't about sensationalism.

We all feel for these types of fliers but I am not sure much can be gained by having the media publish a story with missing info or incorrect info.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I particularly liked the insightful speculation that "If she had been bumped, she would have missed a connecting flight to Whitehorse and been forced to spend the night in Vancouver." - Imagine the horror of having to spend a night in Vancouver!
To be fair, an IDB with an overnight can be INCREDIBLY frustrating.

If I have to get somewhere, and there's a storm, and I'm late, that sucks. But if the airline overbooked the flight, and kicked me off, when I had to get to a wedding/funeral/dinner/minido/job, I'd be livid. And this is why IDB rules in most places tend to be so favorable toward the passenger.

However, none of that happened here. She had a seat assigned at the gate (hey, I've been GTE as SE before, and I wasn't even Tango!).

Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree and IIRC in reading this article it indicated the passenger hadn't done OLCI which might've spared her this traumatic experience.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then some other passenger would have had this traumatic experience.
Exactly. OLCI might have fixed HER issue, but the exact same thing (maybe minus the CBC article) would have just happened to someone else.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by smallmj

What priority was needed? Was flew ON THE FLIGHT SHE BOOKED and no one was bumped.

Not all seats are available at check-in because AC charges for the preferred seats and then at the gate they are assigned to pax who need seats.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I want to know where i can buy an irregular fare.

Where oh where is my irregular fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.