Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Middle name for AC domestic ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

Hi!

My friend has a first middle and surname. In the past, my friend had no problems inserting his middle name on international tickets, while linking it to their Aeroplan number. However, we were booking a domestic flight, and we asked the agent to insert the middle name, but the agent was very adamant "no there is no need for middlename for a domestic ticket"

Is this true?
My friend's government ID reads as: first middle surname, but the ticket reads as first and surname only. Will this be an issue for a domestic flight?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Hi!

My friend has a first middle and surname. In the past, my friend had no problems inserting his middle name on international tickets, while linking it to their Aeroplan number. However, we were booking a domestic flight, and we asked the agent to insert the middle name, but the agent was very adamant "no there is no need for middlename for a domestic ticket"

Is this true?
My friend's government ID reads as: first middle surname, but the ticket reads as first and surname only. Will this be an issue for a domestic flight?
I can only share my experience. I never have my middle name on my ticket and I don't have a problem. I've only flown a few flights though
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I can only share my experience. I never have my middle name on my ticket and I don't have a problem. I've only flown a few flights though
Thanks!
Only a few flights, and you are S100K and 3MM? hmmmm.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AC S100K, Emirates Gold, Marriott Platinum, Accor All Platinum, Nexus, Global Entry
My tickets generally have my first name, 5 letters of my middle name and then my last name (not sure why but that is what usually happens) and I have never had issue flying either domestically or internationally on AC because of that.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I don't use my middle name on domestic tickets and never have an issue (it's on all of my ID).
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:05 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I concur with the others. I don't even put my middle name on international bookings, altgough I will enter it in the APIS, especially when going to the US as I've had some problems when not doing so.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Hi!

Is this true?
Wife has middle name, and it's never on the ticket. It's not an issue. IIRC, the ticket only needs the first first name. Everything else can go in APIS.

Can someone comment about people with two last names (eg: Alberto Andreas Gonzalez Lopez).
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I concur with the others. I don't even put my middle name on international bookings, altgough I will enter it in the APIS, especially when going to the US as I've had some problems when not doing so.
I don't even put it on APIS. I literally never use it, and the only time I've had an issue in recent memory was checking into the Fairmont Singapore. They updated my profile to include my middle name, and I've been trying to remove it ever since
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't even put it on APIS. I literally never use it, and the only time I've had an issue in recent memory was checking into the Fairmont Singapore. They updated my profile to include my middle name, and I've been trying to remove it ever since
Good luck with that. It's been 11 years and counting for me to have my middle name removed from my Fairmont profile, still there!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your name is a lot less common than mine though

I went through a phase in 2014 or so where I wasn't putting my middle name in APIS and was getting extra scrutiny from US CBP >50% of the time. I was sent to secondary a few times. They never bothered to do much with me there, just asked a few extra questions, but it was annoying and sometimes time-consuming.

My father, who also has a common first name, has independently found that not putting his middle name on often leads to hassles with CBP.

If I'm going to Europe, I don't bother, but to the US, always.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AC 75k, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platnium
I have my first and middle name in the AC system as two first names. My first middle initial was showing up after my first name, and because it starts with A, it looked like a new name - similar to how Michael becomes Michaela with the addition of an "A". I've never had issues with that either....
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by caycay
I have my first and middle name in the AC system as two first names. My first middle initial was showing up after my first name, and because it starts with A, it looked like a new name - similar to how Michael becomes Michaela with the addition of an "A". I've never had issues with that either....
I have the same issue on United. Got the UA FF number primarily for OLCI as opposed to mileage accrual. But somehow UA munged my first name and middle initial into a new first name. A bit of a pain when checking reservations, upgrades or stuff like that, but I can live with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.