Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No - a five year old should not sit by himself

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold

A couple weeks ago I booked six Aeroplan reward tickets for my family to YEG-YYZ-MCO return over the Christmas 2017 break (yes - I plan early). Seats in either row 12 and 13 were selected with no problems. Got an e-mail from Aeroplan this morning telling me the YYZ-YEG return segment had been cancelled so we were moved to a later flight. Five of the party were put into row 16 (no recline) and our five year-old ended up being put in row 21 by himself.

Called to get our row 13 seats back for the new flight and encountered a pretty snarky agent on the line when I complained about the five year-old being put by himself. His response was that the computers don't know how old the passengers are (then why does it not pick up on the DOB that I enter?) and that I have to monitor the flights myself. I was a little blown away by his comment that if the computers were made smarter then AC would have to hire fewer agents like himself. Perhaps AC's highly esteemed IT department is a guaranteed union benefit .

Oh well, I got my revenge - booked a couple of short-haul round-trips on WS right after getting off the phone with him.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:28 am

To be fair, AC SOP would be to make the necessary adjustments to seat assignments during manual check-in or at the gate to ensure the child is seated with the parent. So the automatic seat assignment really doesn't have any meaning.

They could of course invest in better IT and make sure the automatic algorithm groups parent and child(ren) together, but they could also make a functional website. I'd prefer the latter to be done first...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Sounds like the guy was just using a (slightly misguided) sense of humour, because he is correct. If their IT worked properly, net result would be fewer jobs for people like him

Kind of depends how hard you complained---I try to take it easy on the phone staff. They just sail on the ship--they didn't build it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YEGAccountant
A couple weeks ago I booked six Aeroplan reward tickets for my family to YEG-YYZ-MCO return over the Christmas 2017 break (yes - I plan early). Seats in either row 12 and 13 were selected with no problems. Got an e-mail from Aeroplan this morning telling me the YYZ-YEG return segment had been cancelled so we were moved to a later flight. Five of the party were put into row 16 (no recline) and our five year-old ended up being put in row 21 by himself.

Called to get our row 13 seats back for the new flight and encountered a pretty snarky agent on the line when I complained about the five year-old being put by himself. His response was that the computers don't know how old the passengers are (then why does it not pick up on the DOB that I enter?) and that I have to monitor the flights myself. I was a little blown away by his comment that if the computers were made smarter then AC would have to hire fewer agents like himself. Perhaps AC's highly esteemed IT department is a guaranteed union benefit .

Oh well, I got my revenge - booked a couple of short-haul round-trips on WS right after getting off the phone with him.
I would have booked my 2017 Xmas break now if AC hadn't raised the price 40%. My business will also be going elsewhere if they don't drop again soon.

Unfortunately what you mention is all too common, friend booked six seats for family. Got a notification the flight had been changed and found the four kids (all under 12) were spread over the entire rear cabin.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
Couldn't your 5 year old have just switched seats with one in row 16? I do understand your frustration with loosing your row 13 seats, did you get them back?
"I would have booked my 2017 Xmas break now if AC hadn't raised the price 40%. My business will also be going elsewhere if they don't drop again soon."
I will be doing the same for my annual trip to the Caribbean next winter since AC has raised the return fare by 39%! Since it's a rouge flight WS is a good alternative.

Last edited by Northern Canuck; Mar 31, 2017 at 3:17 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Couldn't your 5 year old have just switched seats with one in row 16?
Logic not allowed.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Couldn't your 5 year old have just switched seats with one in row 16? I do understand your frustration with loosing your row 13 seats, did you get them back?
"I would have booked my 2017 Xmas break now if AC hadn't raised the price 40%. My business will also be going elsewhere if they don't drop again soon."
I will be doing the same for my annual trip to the Caribbean next winter since AC has raised the return fare by 39%! Since it's a rouge flight WS is a good alternative.
Is Row 16 an exit row ? It is on a A321 and if so, kids not allowed. And on the A321 could be 5 seats as the crew has the jump seat. Just my thoughts, could be on another airframe.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Logic not allowed.
Touché. Why let logic get in the way of a good rant?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
To be fair, AC SOP would be to make the necessary adjustments to seat assignments during manual check-in or at the gate to ensure the child is seated with the parent. So the automatic seat assignment really doesn't have any meaning.

They could of course invest in better IT and make sure the automatic algorithm groups parent and child(ren) together, but they could also make a functional website. I'd prefer the latter to be done first...
I've been there and done that so you'll have to forgive me for being pessimistic with their SOP. We had a similar situation about one year ago, and equipment change would have put us in an exit row, so they split us up without letting us know, and not all of the kids were with adults. Flight was full so they couldn't adjust. Made for an interesting trip...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
Sounds like the guy was just using a (slightly misguided) sense of humour, because he is correct. If their IT worked properly, net result would be fewer jobs for people like him

Kind of depends how hard you complained---I try to take it easy on the phone staff. They just sail on the ship--they didn't build it.
I consider myself pretty easy going and usually joke with the call centre staff, must have just been a really off day for him because the overall call and attitude I received was somewhat rude...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

All of our kids are 10 and under (well will be 11 and under at the time of the trip) - we'd rather have everyone together. We did get our seats back - the seat map for Rows 12-14 was completely open. Not sure why the computer couldn't simply put us back into 13 automatically.

With regards to the price I was shocked at how expensive the flights were. Tango fares running at $2k/person? Glad to have the IKK - total with taxes for the six of us was just over $900 plus 150k aeropesos. My parents decided to fly the day before us but booked into Delta First for $1200pp all-in.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Is Row 16 an exit row ? It is on a A321 and if so, kids not allowed. And on the A321 could be 5 seats as the crew has the jump seat. Just my thoughts, could be on another airframe.
It's on a A320 so it's one row ahead of the exits...but I didn't want the possibility of an equipment change moving us to an exit row.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by YEGAccountant
I've been there and done that so you'll have to forgive me for being pessimistic with their SOP. We had a similar situation about one year ago, and equipment change would have put us in an exit row, so they split us up without letting us know, and not all of the kids were with adults. Flight was full so they couldn't adjust. Made for an interesting trip...
AFAIK for safety reasons they must seat children <12 adjacent to their parent/guardian in case of emergency. If you didn't file a formal complaint at the time, you really ought to.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:17 pm

AFAIK for safety reasons they must seat children <12 adjacent to their parent/guardian in case of emergency. If you didn't file a formal complaint at the time, you really ought to.
and yet thousands of children between the ages of 8 and 12 every year travel without a parent anywhere on the airplane.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Please be realistic. AC flights are regularly oversold and at the time of year and route booked is a certainty. You assume that a seat change is easy to do. It may not be, especially with no availability. The parent is being a responsible prudent person by taking care of this now and not waiting to play seat lotto. Keep in mind that had OP waited until then and a problem ensued, OP would be labeled an idiot, and a bad parent as per previous posts on FT on similar issues.

Originally Posted by mapleg

Staff can be quite obnoxious when reading from script. I attempted to change a flight from HKG and the agent was an absolute jerk. Not only did he chew his gum loudly in my ear, he didn't understand the route or the fare structure. I dealt with it another way. However, 30 minutes wait, 20 minutes wasted on phone with Cletus and I realized I should bill AC for my time.

'The higher cost is due to the excellent and high quality meals served on board. As well, the additional investment in cabin cleanliness and spiffy hats for Rouge FAs makes it worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.