Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It seems like the standby/upgrade list is no longer useful to give a somewhat accurate picture of where you really are... especially since we've lost the lurkers and the start of branded fares.
Even though it wasn't perfect before, it was definitely reliable. I'd say it's no longer "reliable".
Agree, but recall what it used to be like BA (Before App). We had to ask the lounge agent/GA/Concierge for "an indication" of where we were. Sometimes in couched terms , like "Should I eat in the lounge or is it likely that I'll have breakfast on the plane".
Now at least if you're nth on the list and there are n-1 spaces left, I know to eat in the lounge.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Hi Guys, I am on a morning flight tomorrow that is sold out in economy but still has 11 free business class seats (on 12, only 1 booked) and 4 people on the list for e-upgrades. I am number 4.
Should I cancel my eupgrade request in the hopes that the gate agents bumps the elites to the front of the cabin? I believe the flight is overbooked.
I am P25K, what's my play here? I am looking to minimize usage of eupgrades recently, as last time I didn't request an upgrade but oversold flight and I was bumped to the front complimentary. Think this can happen again tomorrow?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by royal757
Hi Guys, I am on a morning flight tomorrow that is sold out in economy but still has 11 free business class seats (on 12, only 1 booked) and 4 people on the list for e-upgrades. I am number 4.
Should I cancel my eupgrade request in the hopes that the gate agents bumps the elites to the front of the cabin? I believe the flight is overbooked.
I am P25K, what's my play here? I am looking to minimize usage of eupgrades recently, as last time I didn't request an upgrade but oversold flight and I was bumped to the front complimentary. Think this can happen again tomorrow?
Well, you'd have any S100Ks, E75Ks, E50Ks, and E35Ks in Y ahead of you for an opup, so, I would stick to your eUpgrade request... but that's just MHO.
But also, if you tell us which route, we (I) might change opinions.
Like if it's YYZYVR, YYZSFO, etc. then there will be a high likelihood of many status passengers on these flights, especially for a Monday morning... again, just MHO.

Also, your referenced opup flight... which time/day/route was it?
skybluesea and canopus27 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:52 pm

Well, you'd have any S100Ks, E75Ks, E50Ks, and E35Ks in Y ahead of you for an opup, so, I would stick to your eUpgrade request... but that's just MHO.
But also, if you tell us which route, we (I) might change opinions.
Like if it's YYZYVR, YYZSFO, etc. then there will be a high likelihood of many status passengers on these flights, especially for a Monday morning... again, just MHO.

Also, your referenced opup flight... which time/day/route was it?

so my reference Eup was LGA-YUL on Friday afternoon 5:40pm and my Eup for tomorrow is YUL-LGA 630AM.

Last edited by royal757; Mar 31, 2019 at 8:53 pm Reason: quote added
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
so my reference Eup was LGA-YUL on Friday afternoon 5:40pm and my Eup for tomorrow is YUL-LGA 630AM.
I'm not familiar with how popular/busy that route is (I'll assume it is a business heavy route), I'd say that if you really want your breakfast Scotch with your omelette, to keep your eUpgrade request. Again, just MHO. There are others here who I'm sure do this route often who can give you a better picture.

Added: The only other thing I can think of is asking a check-in agent how many AC status passengers are in Y (in general) to give you an idea...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It seems like the standby/upgrade list is no longer useful to give a somewhat accurate picture of where you really are... especially since we've lost the lurkers and the start of branded fares.
Even though it wasn't perfect before, it was definitely reliable. I'd say it's no longer "reliable".
​​​​​​ It was no more or less reliable when it launched than it is now.
D582 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 11:00 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by canadiancow
People are conflating the usefulness of the list with the silliness of the process. The list is indeed unchanged. The process is worse than before, because I can pay more for a Flex branded fare and end off worse upgrade-wise than I would be on a Tango. The latter is what's rubbish.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:44 am

I'm not familiar with how popular/busy that route is (I'll assume it is a business heavy route), I'd say that if you really want your breakfast Scotch with your omelette, to keep your eUpgrade request. Again, just MHO. There are others here who I'm sure do this route often who can give you a better picture.

Added: The only other thing I can think of is asking a check-in agent how many AC status passengers are in Y (in general) to give you an idea...
so I rushed to the gate this morning and asked her to take me off the e-up list as I knew she was going to comp. upgrade all elites to J.
As she was taking me off, the system apparently had just cleared me and my eups coupons were already taken it. She said I could make a request to Aeroplan to get them back.

my point is : I am angry I had to use those e-ups when I knew for sure Gate Agent was going to comp the elites. It's not an elite heavy route, and I wasn't able to cancel check in to cancel the eup request.

anyone have experience asking for eups back since the Gate agent comp'ed the elites?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so I rushed to the gate this morning and asked her to take me off the e-up list as I knew she was going to comp. upgrade all elites to J.
As she was taking me off, the system apparently had just cleared me and my eups coupons were already taken it. She said I could make a request to Aeroplan to get them back.

my point is : I am angry I had to use those e-ups when I knew for sure Gate Agent was going to comp the elites. It's not an elite heavy route, and I wasn't able to cancel check in to cancel the eup request.

anyone have experience asking for eups back since the Gate agent comp'ed the elites?
Sorry to hear that - like I said, it was just MHO and I wasn't familiar with the route. I've done hundreds of flights to the USA (but from YYZ) for work, including EWR/LGA and it has always been business heavy with many status passengers on Mondays/Thursdays/Fridays.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Originally Posted by D404
People are conflating the usefulness of the list with the silliness of the process. The list is indeed unchanged. The process is worse than before, because I can pay more for a Flex branded fare and end off worse upgrade-wise than I would be on a Tango. The latter is what's rubbish.
You're right. It's not the list itself, but the processing of it.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:49 am

Sorry to hear that - like I said, it was just MHO and I wasn't familiar with the route. I've done hundreds of flights to the USA (but from YYZ) for work, including EWR/LGA and it has always been business heavy with many status passengers on Mondays/Thursdays/Fridays.
I understand. Do you think I have any chance of asking AirCanada for my eups back if I make my case solid explaining it? Any experience with getting eups back in a similar situation?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand. Do you think I have any chance of asking AirCanada for my eups back if I make my case solid explaining it? Any experience with getting eups back in a similar situation?
I've only heard of eUps being credited back due to admitted mistakes by AC... but not in a case such as yours.
Btw, how did you know 100% that you were going to be given an opup?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:19 am

I've only heard of eUps being credited back due to admitted mistakes by AC... but not in a case such as yours.
Btw, how did you know 100% that you were going to be given an opup?
because the APP said only 1 book in business class, and 11 free seats. When I phoned AC reservations they said there were only 4-5 elites on the flight. When I arrived at the gate, the agent showed me there were only indeed 4-5 elites on the flight (me included as a P25k haha). And she was processing the comp.upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.