Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Right from the beginning you've supposed to have carried your passport with you regardless, which is why the Nexus machines going to/from the US require you scan the passport in one direction and the card in the other.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Right from the beginning you've supposed to have carried your passport with you regardless, which is why the Nexus machines going to/from the US require you scan the passport in one direction and the card in the other.
... no they don't ???

The new NEXUS machines in Canada require a one-time passport scan, but there's a button fro "I don't have my passport with me".

Other than that, it's never technically required to make the machines work in either direction.

The really old GE machines don't accept it, but:
1. That's not a NEXUS machine
2. I've only seen them once in all my travel
pilot007, D582 and WannabeSE like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
... no they don't ???

The new NEXUS machines in Canada require a one-time passport scan, but there's a button fro "I don't have my passport with me".

Other than that, it's never technically required to make the machines work in either direction.

The really old GE machines don't accept it, but:
1. That's not a NEXUS machine
2. I've only seen them once in all my travel
Right enough about the new machines, I was referring to the old ones that had been in use for years and years. Perhaps I should have been clearer about that, but the point was, passport typically inserted into the kiosk when heading into the US, card inserted on return.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Right enough about the new machines, I was referring to the old ones that had been in use for years and years. Perhaps I should have been clearer about that, but the point was, passport typically inserted into the kiosk when heading into the US, card inserted on return.
Any of the GE machines (as shown below) which have been in use in Canadian airports for at least 6 or 7 yeas now accept NEXUS cards instead of passports. This is true only at Canadian pre-clearance airports. If you land directly in the US you must use your passport, even though the machines are the same.

SuperCargo and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:27 pm

Those aren't NEXUS machines. And they do accept NEXUS (and other) cards, as multiple people have said.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
It so varies. I've used my NEXUS to check in online and then to check a bag at the counter, only to be told at boarding that I'm required to show my passport. Agent at YYJ threatened to not let the SE ahead of me fly when he presented his NEXUS and argued that it was sufficient. I'd also planned to use my NEXUS, and my passport case had, of course, slipped to the bottom of my bag under my laptop, so it was a bit of a thing to dig it out.

Different airports, different days, different scenarios, different answers. Did have NEXUS accepted for check in and boarding at SFO recently, though. YMMV?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by dibby
Agent at YYJ threatened to not let the SE ahead of me fly when he presented his NEXUS and argued that it was sufficient.
Was that in Oct/Nov 2019? If so, it may have been me.

When it happened to me, it was very concerning, as I had many YYJ-YVR-SFO flights where I actually didn't have my passport with me, but I luckily did that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.