Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?

Old Jan 8, 17, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, AS, CX, UA, SPG VIP, Marriott Gold, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle

Hi all,

On Dec. 30, 2016 I flew LAX-YVR on AC, with only my Nexus card on me. I'm a Canadian citizen and live in Canada.

AC staff/contractors -- the check-in and gate agents asked if I had my passport on me, citing "new Canadian law" requiring the same. I was allowed to board without presenting a passport, and entered Canada without trouble.

Any similar recent experiences with AC? Any truth behind the airline agents' claim?

Thanks,

Jplus
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC
hmm maybe to do with the ETA?

I never realized AC was accepting only Nexus, for the longest time they refused to consider Nexus for anything so I just stopped even trying with it.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:17 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Using a Nexus card as sole identification for air travel is a fairly recent development. Up until a year or two ago, the CBSA required a passport for all air travel in addition to a Nexus card. So maybe the agent you spoke to was unaware of the rule change?

I don't think ETA has anything to do with it, since if OP is a Canadian citizen, an ETA isn't necessary.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:18 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
No truth. Just misinformed agents.

To be honest, they're still not as bad as Porter.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/passenger-denie...card-1.3029989

But even this article gets it wrong in many places.

WestJet tells its passengers to bring their passports, but Air Canada said Nexus is valid in place of a passport for U.S. and Canadian citizens but says passengers need a passport to return to Canada by air.
Which is also wrong.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I flew back from PHX yesterday. I had my passport with me but I never presented it and nobody mentioned it. Basically, I just traveled on my NEXUS card.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:38 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
last week a worker at YYZ transborder argued with a guy in front of me. He was approaching the Global Entry machines, but was abrupty told he could not proceed without showing his Nexus card (which he said he left at home). The agent eventually gave in to let him 'try' the machine anyway but shook her head saying it won't work.

My kid gave the agent some free retraining "maam, global entry mahines only need passport and fingerprints. Nexus cards and iris scans are only when you enter Canada."
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:44 pm

SFO-YYZ-YWG. Tried check-in with Nexus only. Agent at the desk asked for passports because the "system didn't like that we had a domestic connection" with only a Nexus.

Had passports on hand so no worry, but sort of defeats (part of) the point of Nexus.
Old Jan 8, 17, 11:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by segacs View Post
Using a Nexus card as sole identification for air travel is a fairly recent development. Up until a year or two ago, the CBSA required a passport for all air travel in addition to a Nexus card. So maybe the agent you spoke to was unaware of the rule change?

I don't think ETA has anything to do with it, since if OP is a Canadian citizen, an ETA isn't necessary.
Agent insisted earlier today that passport number be added to upcoming transborder reservations. Nexus already there. She was adamant that was insufficient. Not worth an argument.
Old Jan 8, 17, 11:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
last week a worker at YYZ transborder argued with a guy in front of me. He was approaching the Global Entry machines, but was abrupty told he could not proceed without showing his Nexus card (which he said he left at home). The agent eventually gave in to let him 'try' the machine anyway but shook her head saying it won't work.

My kid gave the agent some free retraining "maam, global entry mahines only need passport and fingerprints. Nexus cards and iris scans are only when you enter Canada."
During original Nexus interview and renewal interview, agents stressed not to use Nexus/global entry queues if I don't have the card with me. Amused that a recent transborder crossing at YYZ included declaring something to an agent -- I did Global Entry and checked yes to one question. Offered Nexus card and he couldn't have been less interested. He did want passport.

Last edited by Bartolo; Jan 9, 17 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 9, 17, 12:51 am

Programs: AC*S100K, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Plat
Had this as well departing from the US recently. OLCI accepted NEXUS as the form of ID, agent at the station demanded passport as well. But still wanted to see NEXUS card. "Since November" was the reply when I asked if this is new.
Old Jan 9, 17, 1:50 am

I eagerly await someone with Nexus being denied boarding by AC on a flight home to Canada and then taking AC to Court so we get a legal precident.
Old Jan 9, 17, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, AS, CX, UA, SPG VIP, Marriott Gold, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
Thanks for the sharing your data points. On the strength of the Nexus card, Timatic says:

Summary

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

Type: Notice
Canada - Destination Passport

Passport required.

Travel without passport is possible for:

Nationals of Canada with a NEXUS Card if residing in Canada embarking in USA or Canada and entering Canada from the USA only.

Document validity rules:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to nationals of Canada must be valid on arrival.

Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or accepted departure document is required by the US immigration authorities.

The following regulations apply to children/minors:

If a travel document issued by Canada to minors under 16 years of age displays "Signature Not Required/non requise" on the bio-data page, the child is not required to sign. Parent/legal guardian must not sign this travel document under any circumstances. Canadian passports and other Canadian travel documents must only be signed by the person whose name appears in the travel document.

Parent(s) traveling with a child under 18 years are strongly advised to hold documentation containing evidence that the child is theirs.
Parents who are separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available, in order to clarify custody rights. All children irrespective of nationality traveling alone or with adults that have no legal custody over them, are also strongly advised to hold a letter of travel consent signed by a legal guardian or parent with legal custody, containing:
- authorization to travel (with another person, when applicable) and to be outside the country;
- destination in Canada, also indicating length of stay;
- the signor's address and phone details.
Old Jan 9, 17, 5:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I guess I'll be taking my passport with me just in case when I fly down to SFO. I thought the whole point of Nexus was to eliminate passport usage when flying USA/Canada. I would not want the necessary hassle.
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Contract agents in IAH are particularly bad about making up rules on this. Had a fight with a particularly nasty woman who wasn't interested in learning the actual rules.

Gave up fighting. But still don't provide them passport unless they insist. Last time I gave them my nexus card and she asked if I had my passport and I answered yes and only gave her the passport when she insisted on seeing it.

I would never travel without my passport as Nexus system could be down. Your passport is always the gold standard of entry. Nexus is a convenience.
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:36 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Had this happen to me about three weeks ago boarding in DEN to YVR on UA. Agent quoted "new rule"* imposed by Canada requiring air travellers to use passport. She insisted upon seeing my passport at the gate (yes, always carry it) but of course I entered YVR using only Nexus at the kiosk.

CBSA site suggests passport is a good idea, but I interpret it's not mandatory for Cdn citizens returning to Canada by air from the US. Airline policy may differ as per the site: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

(*edit): I suspect the agent/airline confusion or policy change may have coincided with the introduction of the new eTA, which of course doesn't apply to US or Canadian citizens.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jan 9, 17 at 6:43 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: