Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Original Aeroplan Member Wanting Flight History Records

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Aeroplan Member Wanting Flight History Records

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Also, if you have origin-destination and date pairs, plus identification that matches the name on ticket, you can make an Freedom of Information request. Air Canada has been very responsive to the last 250+ of these requests I've made in the last 6 months.
I know you're chewing your cud on this one, AC being a private company and not accountable under federal or provincial Freedom of Information legislation.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I know you're chewing your cud on this one, AC being a private company and not accountable under federal or provincial Freedom of Information legislation.
I assume he means PIPEDA, which does apply to AC.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
You're right. Wrong law name thing... here is the wording used in the first reply I received from AC, which I'll assume has reference to more correct wording:
Dear Mr. Drunk,

This is to acknowledge receipt of an Access to Personal Information Request, dated June 7, 2016.
Whatever the act/law/blah (falls under PIPEDA), I have a pile of DCS records, PNRs, etc... possibly useful for the OP. PM me for the template that seems to be working thus far.

Edit: I suppose it's been over a duration of almost 7 months, whereas I said 6 months earlier. My mistake.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Also, if you have origin-destination and date pairs, plus identification that matches the name on ticket, you can make an Freedom of Information request.
If people like me and the OP had the O/D and dates of our flights, we wouldn't really need to contact AC to request that info, would we?

I know you're chewing your cud on this one
Does that mean something different in Ontario? I think you're trying to tell DC that he's full of manure, but I've always heard that expression to mean something along the lines of pondering, deep thought, etc...

Besides, it would have been much more fun to direct that at canadiancow

Dear Mr. Drunk,

This is to acknowledge receipt of an Access to Personal Information Request, dated June 7, 2016.
I'm outraged at AC's informal and unprofessional communication style. They should be calling you Mr. Cargo! If my next piece of correspondence from AC is addressed to Mr. Adam, boy, there will be hell to pay.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 4, 2017 at 1:27 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by DaveObee
A couple of years ago I asked for the numbers from 2004-2005-2006. Somewhere along the way I lost the file that that info, so my Aeroplan record 1993-2016 had a gap.

Anyway, the answer that I received ...

Thank you for your email.

Details about recent activity and the total miles available in your Aeroplan account to date can be found in the Your Account section of our website. Kindly note, you must be logged in with your Aeroplan number and password to view your account details. Members have the option to download a print of the last 12 months transactions. Older transactions are archived and available on request only. Kindly note, there is an administration fee of $10.00 CAD to retrieve, print and mail a copy of each monthly statement. For immediate assistance, we invite you to call the Aeroplan Centre at 1-800-361-5373. Representatives are available from 7 am to midnight (ET).

We trust this information to be useful.

This seems reasonable. $120/year. It takes someone time and effort to pull this together.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If people like me and the OP had the O/D and dates of our flights, we wouldn't really need to contact AC to request that info, would we?
Yea, well, OP was looking to get records from Aeroplan anyhow... which I think I mentioned upthread I've successfully requested but only tested back to 2014. It was gratis, but YMMV understandably.

I'm outraged at AC's informal and unprofessional communication style. They should be calling you Mr. Cargo! If my next piece of correspondence from AC is addressed to Mr. Adam, boy, there will be hell to pay.
Oh, AC had the right name. I'm just accustomed to introducing myself like "Hi! I'm Drunk" at DOs...

I don't chew cud, but I will suck bits of food from between teeth and chew that.. does that count?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
DC that he's full of manure, but I've always heard that expression to mean something along the lines of pondering, deep thought, etc...

Besides, it would have been much more fun to direct that at canadiancow
Yes, I was confused about who posted that, and indeed thought it was our canadiancow, and I wanted to paraphrase "tongue in cheek" appropriately for a cow, thus thinking "chewing one's cud" might be a similar turn of phrase. (Having had both gentlemen at my table at the miniDo last month, I am less confused as to who is who.)

As to the point under discussion, there is a privacy law that requirement that companies holding data about us to reveal that information to us upon request. However, there is a "reasonable" period of time such information must be held by law...and going back 20+ years for flight numbers one's flown is somewhat beyond the pale. Remember, in those days data was not stored on chips. I would even expect that in the early years of Aeroplan, data was stored on tape if not large floppy disks. And was quite expensive to archive, not to mention the tape or disk material may have "crumbled" and be unreadable if improperly stored. We take cheap memory for granted, but remember, when AE started up the first generation PCs had 64K motherboards and 256K of memory was considered "huge"!

In doing some cleaning up of paper work files over the holidays, I came upon all my AE and Cdn+ statements from Day 1 until Cdn+ was folded into AE, and then AE stopped mailing paper statements. Also cleared away tax/financial records going back as far...figured I'd just keep the last seven years as required by law and clear out a few banker's boxes!

Last edited by Shareholder; Jan 4, 2017 at 9:01 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
Sorry my opinion does not match your desired answer.
With respect, mapleg, the OP was seeking factual answers, not random opinion. It's clear you don't approve of the idea, so why not gracefully step back?

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of AE in 2014, AC did send those of us who had been elites every year since tiers were established a wall map of the world with a printout of our most frequent destinations. A set of pins was also included so we could stick them in all the cities we'd flown to with AC.
A wall map with pins. In 2014. Was this cutting edge idea devised by the same folks that designed the IT system?
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
A wall map with pins. In 2014. Was this cutting edge idea devised by the same folks that designed the IT system?
I suppose someone with their own Man Cave might have dreamed this up. I lack the wall space to hang such a map, and if I did have another blank wall, would have found a few other things of more priority and value to mount (as I have already done in my den). In fairness, it was a nice recognition gesture. I suppose a virtual version might have been something more usable, for example as a screen saver version that let us map our past and future flights. But those were the days when AC was still trying to make its mobile app somewhat useful (which it certainly wasn't three years ago) and it still isn't integrated with AE so we could at least check out Altitude information and actually make award bookings as is possible with other airlines' apps.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Has anyone tried doing this recently (asking for a data dump of historical Aeroplan transactions or Air Canada flights?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.