Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Just heard from a good source....

AC is starting
YYZ-BEY very soon
In planning stages for 2017
YVR-BKK, YVR-MNL
In longer term planning
YYZ-JNB
Not in the cards
SIN or AKL
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I would have thought it would be YUL - BEY. I wonder if that route will be mainline or Rouge.

BKK and MNL are probably good routes for the 788 and possibly the 777HD in high season - I would think they'd want to maximize the Y seats with minimal J.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Interesting.

There have been rumours about service to BEY for many years, but I too would've assumed YUL-BEY.

YVR-MNL sounds like a perfect Rouge route.

YVR-BKK is slightly surprising given the dstance and the relatively low yield.

YYZ-JNB would be a great addition, but making money on an ULH flight isn't easy when there are dozens of one-stop alternatives.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:47 am

I agree YVR-BKK and YVR-MNL would be a good rouge route but they don't have the equipment to fly that far without stopping somewhere. Not that I dispute OP sources but I find the BKK route hard to believe as it's been discussed before and the low yield was always one of the main reasons it was never started as well lack of suitable equipment.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting desperate on what to do with all these planes they have ordered it would seem?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AC E50K
Damn I would have loved a route to AKL
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AC E50K
I assume BEY would be on the 787 and they don't really seem to want to operate those out of YUL, which would explain why it would be from YYZ.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Getting desperate on what to do with all these planes they have ordered it would seem?
I'll take a direct flight from YHZ - LAS if they have a spare plane lying around
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Philippines Airlines flies YVR-MNL, but there is no competition on YVR-BKK. for YYZ flyers who go to BKK for work, its still a one stop option. I'd use it rather than going via HKG/NRT.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
I suppose if you're going to try it, now's the time when you can simply send a plane to the desert if the route doesn't work out. Otherwise they'll probably send planes with life left in them to the desert. I'm not sure anyone predicted long-term $50 oil when they ordered all those new planes. Airlines were in a big hurry to retire older frames when oil was over $100, I doubt that is presently the case or at least with the same urgency.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Hard to imagine AC successfully completing with PR's low fares, more comfortable seating and better on board service to MNL. Especially when much of the target market is the Filipino diaspora that is already familiar with PR unlike "old stock" Canadians that only consider AC.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
don't see YVR-BKK at all, YVR-MNL 788 yes

I don't remember where I was reading this, but I heard AC was frustrated with TG for code share, since the price and the schedule is not in favour, and sometimes TG will only give Y seat even if the customer buy "J" via AC website.

small Thai community in Canada compare to filipinos, and Canada is not really typical "Thai" tourist destination
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Seven of us are flying to YUL to BKK in J on CA through PEK in March. I would have preferred AC, but doubt we would get anywhere close to the same fare as we did on CA.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by llbean
Just heard from a good source....

AC is starting
YYZ-BEY very soon
In planning stages for 2017
YVR-BKK, YVR-MNL
In longer term planning
YYZ-JNB
Not in the cards
SIN or AKL
Not surprised that AKL is not in the cards. NZ would eat AC's lunch many times over with their all-around superior hard and soft product and extremely competitive prices.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Eternity000
Damn I would have loved a route to AKL
NZ runs this route from YVR, and they run a smaller plane. In the past this route has been cut and come back... I can't see AC competing with NZ on this route and doubt there's any demand from any other AC hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.