Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YYT82
TG exited the North American market last year, so I would agree that if AC does indeed operate YVR-BKK there will be enough traffic to keep this going. TG did not run non-stop, as they fuel up in ICN and/or NRT if I recall correctly.

I would not be taking AC YVR-SIN if SQ already runs non-stop SFO-SIN, and AC probably knows many customers who think this way.
I believe that TG exited due to their overall financial struggles. That doesn't speak highly to the routes profitability, or it speaks highly of TG's ability to lose money on almost any route. I suspect the later; I would guess that AC would be able to fly it at a lot lower CASM than TG. TG is in a world of trouble. Having said all that, IIRC they have been planning on starting it again via LAX or SFO once they stabilize. Somebody clearly thinks there is sufficient customer traffic for a West Coast to BKK route.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by ridefar
Maybe they are counting on Filipino nationals being acquainted with the spotty maintenance and safety record of PR and think they would rather fly on a real airline? I have flown to MNL several times, but no matter the convenience I will not get on a PR plane. Which means YYC-YVR-HKG-MNL. Wasn't PR on the verge of being banned from a whole bunch of international routes due to their maintenance?
That's TG not PR.

Anyways have heard this rumor RE MNL for quite some time now from concierges. Hopefully it will come to fruition on 2017 for convenience sake. PR flies to YVR 10X weekly, so hopefully AC would join in.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
That's TG not PR.

Anyways have heard this rumor RE MNL for quite some time now from concierges. Hopefully it will come to fruition on 2017 for convenience sake. PR flies to YVR 10X weekly, so hopefully AC would join in.
I am not sure if you are trying to be funny. I think you mean it is TG and PR?

PR spent some time being banned by the EU and downgraded by the FAA. Things are "better" now? Maybe.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...92482087790594

On the subject of the route: I believe Winnipeg is the largest community of Filipinos outside of the Philippines? Provides quite a market.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I am not sure if you are trying to be funny. I think you mean it is TG and PR?

PR spent some time being banned by the EU and downgraded by the FAA. Things are "better" now? Maybe.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...92482087790594

On the subject of the route: I believe Winnipeg is the largest community of Filipinos outside of the Philippines? Provides quite a market.
In any event...I really hope AC does the MNL route. But I'd rather fly CEB-HKG-YVR or MNL-ICN/NRT-YVR than MNL-YVR direct PR.

I'm not worried with their maintenance. But like you, I'd rather not step into PR longhaul with their bunkbed style biz class and BYOIpad on biz

Filipinos tend to not have any loyalty to PR I've noticed. Most fly to MNL from NA anyways with KE/CX/JL/NH, etc. So this might work if the price is right.
Attached Images  

Last edited by supatight80; Dec 14, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by llbean
Just heard from a good source....

AC is starting
YYZ-BEY very soon
In planning stages for 2017
YVR-BKK, YVR-MNL
In longer term planning
YYZ-JNB
Not in the cards
SIN or AKL
Unsubstantiated rumour. The new routes for 2017 have already been discussed at length. Algiers is the destination that will arrive long before Beirut. Yes, easy access to Beirut would be popular in some key Quebec Liberal swing ridings, however, there are more lucrative routes to implement first. The cost of security and screening to obtain approval would devour the profit margin.

YVR-BKK? No. Philippines and Vietnam are a more lucrative target market. Did you not see the code sharing deal AC just entered with Cathay to develop the SE Asian market? I'd be thrilled to fly YVR-BKK, but Canadians don't go to Thailand like they go to other SE Asian destinations. AC is better served boosting its service capabilities to its Asian hubs first. In any case, there are few if any available landing slots at BKK. The airport is over capacity now and is trying to expand. HKT can't handle its traffic either with its crappy single runway.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:09 pm

Filipinos tend to not have any loyalty to PR I've noticed. Most fly to MNL from NA anyways with KE/CX/JL/NH, etc. So this might work if the price is right.
That is for sure. Every time I have flown CX HKG-MNL I have met Canadian Filipinos. They didn't get to HKG on PR!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
That is for sure. Every time I have flown CX HKG-MNL I have met Canadian Filipinos. They didn't get to HKG on PR!
Indeed, CX's presence at MNL is massive. HKG-MNL traffic is also huge, and one of the few intra-Asia routes with true First Class.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
In any event...I really hope AC does the MNL route. But I'd rather fly CEB-HKG-YVR or MNL-ICN/NRT-YVR than MNL-YVR direct PR.

I'm not worried with their maintenance. But like you, I'd rather not step into PR longhaul with their bunkbed style biz class and BYOIpad on biz

thats nasty omg so 3rd world
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:08 am

My dreams of an AC flight to SIN are shafted once again.

I love hanging out in BKK, but not sure I'd fly there to transfer over TYO/HKG
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
BKK is unlikely for another reason. It is still very, very difficult for Thai nationals
to get visas to Canada. I'm not talking about short-term "girl-friends", but rather
business people with long established companies, doing business in Canada for decades,
having been educated at American university - they have to go through such hoops
and paperwork to get a visa that most do not bother.

So traffic would be mainly originating in N.A.

Further, many people such as myself who do go to BKK for business also stop
in other countries ( China, Indonesia, Korea, etc.). A YVR non-stop is not that
appealing when I can fly non-stop from YYZ to China/Korea/Taiwan and then
continue on to BKK.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
My dreams of an AC flight to SIN are shafted once again.

I love hanging out in BKK, but not sure I'd fly there to transfer over TYO/HKG
Likewise

YVR-SIN would be fantastic
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
I can't imagine what "gate" BKK would assign to AC. Every time I'm through there I get a gate that turns into a 15 minute packed bus ride to a plane sitting among what look like decommissioned aircraft.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
AC wont be in a rush to serve JNB, the flights are $2500 in J class so often and Y is under $1k.
And i doubt there would be enough customers wanting to pay extra for a nonstop flying from YYZ.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:49 pm

Before AC took over CP the latter airline was flying YVR-HKG-BKK daily if I remember correctly. So AC does not have to do nonstop--they can extend the HKG flight to BKK.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Eternity000
Damn I would have loved a route to AKL
+1; on the other hand ANZ is pretty amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.