Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes coming; Update AC turned down for YUL - BEY route (10Jul17)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:24 am

Didn't AC used to do YYZ-TLV on the 763? If so, it seems that YYZ/YUL-BEY would also be doable, and doable on Rouge - even as a summer seasonal service. IIRC this was announced within the last ten years, but it never happened.

The security angle is definitely a consideration, but European carriers seem to manage it alright.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by flybit
AC wont be in a rush to serve JNB, the flights are $2500 in J class so often and Y is under $1k.
And i doubt there would be enough customers wanting to pay extra for a nonstop flying from YYZ.
There is a market from the west coast if they can somehow tap into that. It's expensive to fly from Vancouver or California to South Africa. In fact when booking premium economy from Vancouver to South Africa it's cheaper to connect through HK on Cathay.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'll take a direct flight from YHZ - LAS if they have a spare plane lying around
As would I!
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
There is a market from the west coast if they can somehow tap into that. It's expensive to fly from Vancouver or California to South Africa. In fact when booking premium economy from Vancouver to South Africa it's cheaper to connect through HK on Cathay.
IME it very much depends when you book.

I've frequently seen YVR-JNB fares in the $1kCAD range in Y and $2.2kCAD in PY on AC/LH. Especially the former is an insanely low fare IMO considering the amount of flying (and accounting for the fact that $200-$300 of that are airport fees / taxes).

And I'm not surprised CX may be cheaper at times. YVR-HKG-JNB is only ~10% more miles than a typical YVR-YYZ-FRA-JNB routing, so it makes sense to compete for pax from the West Coast.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
See I'm thinking BKK would be Rouge. BKK can be pricey to get to for tourists, but cheap once there, if AC could corner the "backpackers" types it might be a pretty full flight on a consistent basis.

MNL I always find hard to grasp. Go to YVR any night and you'll see line after line of people with Balikbayan boxes, just like Delhi, they're on all flights. So the demand is clearly there. But I've asked all my Filipino friends and they all say they'd love to take PR but it's just too pricey. Stopping in TPE/HKG/PVG/PEK is a breeze for them considering most are going to MNL or points beyond for a minimum of 2 weeks.

So my question would be, can AC keep the prices at a point where people will pay?

JNB would be really cool. I've wanted to go there, it's also so expensive and whenever it's on sale it's DL or BA and I prefer to stay on Star. Beirut would be cool, never been there, an AC flight would open up award space so that's good.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Didn't AC used to do YYZ-TLV on the 763? If so, it seems that YYZ/YUL-BEY would also be doable, and doable on Rouge - even as a summer seasonal service. IIRC this was announced within the last ten years, but it never happened.

The security angle is definitely a consideration, but European carriers seem to manage it alright.
There would not be security concerns for AC to fly to/ from BEY. I am not sure why people think this (I write this as someone who has been to Lebanon many times).
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:52 pm

When are they ever going to launch YYC-HKG? Or are they now more focused on the Chinese Mainland market, rather than Hong Kong (noting that Hainan now flies YYC-PEK).
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
See I'm thinking BKK would be Rouge. BKK can be pricey to get to for tourists, but cheap once there, if AC could corner the "backpackers" types it might be a pretty full flight on a consistent basis.

MNL I always find hard to grasp. Go to YVR any night and you'll see line after line of people with Balikbayan boxes, just like Delhi, they're on all flights. So the demand is clearly there. But I've asked all my Filipino friends and they all say they'd love to take PR but it's just too pricey. Stopping in TPE/HKG/PVG/PEK is a breeze for them considering most are going to MNL or points beyond for a minimum of 2 weeks.

So my question would be, can AC keep the prices at a point where people will pay?
You find it very easy to grasp a 767-300ER flying from YVR to BKK?

But yet find it very difficult to grasp a YVR-MNL flight with line after line of people bound for MNL every single night even on a "too pricey" PR flight that's almost always full 10X weekly?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by karachi
Philippines Airlines flies YVR-MNL, but there is no competition on YVR-BKK. for YYZ flyers who go to BKK for work, its still a one stop option. I'd use it rather than going via HKG/NRT.
for me, it would be the other way-I'd rather be in the air for 12 or so hours to NRT followed by 6 hours to BKK from NRT and then have some place to stretch rather than 15-16 on the proposed YVRBKK nonstop.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by theworld
When are they ever going to launch YYC-HKG? Or are they now more focused on the Chinese Mainland market, rather than Hong Kong (noting that Hainan now flies YYC-PEK).
When they can figure out how to get more range from a CRA.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by JTXC
There would not be security concerns for AC to fly to/ from BEY. I am not sure why people think this (I write this as someone who has been to Lebanon many times).
It was apparently security concerns (I believe expressed by the Feds) that scotched an earlier attempt by AC to fly YUL-BEY
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
there is a thread on AC FT, on flights to JNB......... google it, search it i just tried but its beyond my abilities to find it
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by The Lev
It was apparently security concerns (I believe expressed by the Feds) that scotched an earlier attempt by AC to fly YUL-BEY
Air France, BA, Alitalia, Lufthansa, Qantas, the ME3 etc. all fly to Beirut. With the change in govt and a change in ideology, I dare say, this might happen for AC now.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Air Canada asks authorization for YUL-BEY

Today in LaPresse (in French)

Article mentions that this route is at the top of the list for AC and that both them and local business groups have had constructive discussions with the federal government on potential opening up that route, which would be the only direct, non-stop flight from North America. Reason cited for holding back remains national security
http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie...l-beyrouth.php
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.