Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by lcohen999
$500 for 12 hours in J. That is a good deal
Thats what I thought! I saw the cabin was J9C9D9Z8P6R3 and figured my chances were good, so I bid the lowest I could.....This may be part of the 'lower bid' for certain flights announced a while ago.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:02 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Plumber
Thats what I thought! I saw the cabin was J9C9D9Z8P6R3 and figured my chances were good, so I bid the lowest I could.....This may be part of the 'lower bid' for certain flights announced a while ago.
Good score!

I wish my upcoming flight YVR- LHR had a minimum that low - for me it's $920 from N to J/P. And that's with J9/C9/D9/Z9/P0/R7.

No 'lower bid' for me.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Good score!

I wish my upcoming flight YVR- LHR had a minimum that low - for me it's $920 from N to J/P. And that's with J9/C9/D9/Z9/P0/R7.

No 'lower bid' for me.
Same here, I'm flying the reverse LHR - YVR and for me the minimum bid is $1200 from U to Business Class
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:25 pm

I've been monitoring an upcoming YVR-LHR flight which was offering a minimum bid from PY N to Business Class for $920. But today, 5 days before the flight, I now see the message that there is "no space available" on the bid site for the first time, at least for this flight.

Coincidentally (or not), this is the day that both Z and P availability went to zero on EF. The flight is still J9/C9/D9 and even R3, so I'm wondering if bid-up seats come from Z/P inventory.

Or maybe there's no rhyme or reason and it's just a coincidence after all.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Dec 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm Reason: Fix punctuation.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I've been monitoring an upcoming YVR-LHR flight which was offering a minimum bid from PY N to Business Class for $920. But today, 5 days before the flight, I now see the message that there is "no space available" on the bid site for the first time, at least for this flight.

Coincidentally (or not), this is the day that both Z and P availability went to zero on EF. The flight is still J9/C9/D9 and even R3, so I'm wondering if bid-up seats come from Z/P inventory.

Or maybe there's no rhyme or reason and it's just a coincidence after all.
I am tracking another flight with Z =1 and still get 'no space available'
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:19 pm

And , as of today with exactly the same availability, the bid offer is once again available. I'm guessing it's AC IT rubbing off on whomever provides the upgrade bid backend service.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Is Prem Econ (class N) eligible for bid upgrade to business class?

hi,

booking a trip using aeroplan miles and wondering if anyone has had experience getting the upgrade email for a bid upgrade after booking a class N Prem second ticket on AC?

thanks
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Why wait for an email?

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada
YYCJeff likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Bid upgrades :

All A320:

YEG-YYZ $370-$920 Pass
YYZ-YEG $370-$920 Pass
YYC-YYZ $400-$950 Pass
YYZ-YYC $400-$950 Pass

E90 :

YYZ-GCM x 2 $220-$600 Put in at $220(4 of us in J already, no one else) , will use E Upgrade companion if not accepted
GCM-YYZ x 2 $220-$600 Put in at $220(4 of us in J already, no one else) , will use E Upgrade companion if not accepted

The YYZ-GCM at booking wanted $2500 one way for J, $5000 round trip extra. Would probably play up to $300 but $220 seems pretty good right now based on our loads.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Bid upgrades :

All A320:

YEG-YYZ $370-$920 Pass
YYZ-YEG $370-$920 Pass
YYC-YYZ $400-$950 Pass
YYZ-YYC $400-$950 Pass

E90 :

YYZ-GCM x 2 $220-$600 Put in at $220(4 of us in J already, no one else) , will use E Upgrade companion if not accepted
GCM-YYZ x 2 $220-$600 Put in at $220(4 of us in J already, no one else) , will use E Upgrade companion if not accepted

The YYZ-GCM at booking wanted $2500 one way for J, $5000 round trip extra. Would probably play up to $300 but $220 seems pretty good right now based on our loads.
and... the original fare classes/bases were...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:45 pm

U/H

YYZ-GCM-YYZ Aeroplan Market reward

EDIT: cancelled the $220 and put in at $300 each... only 3 seats suddenly now left in J +_+
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:31 pm

Flight just went from J6 to J2 T-5... Assuming people E-Upgraded as R is still 1 and there was only full J fares left ($5000 now $7000 r/t LOL). UGH! It sucks that two of us have almost all our e eups but can't apply until day of departure for her.

2 more days until they start confirming bid upgrades. Hoping it works!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Adore
Adding some further data to YYZ-HKG. I booked YYZ-HKG in November 2017 to fly in February 2018. Minimum bid for business is $1,100 and premium economy is $680.

There was a post from lynchpin_yyz back in June 2017 where he said the minimum bid was $750. The minimum bid for YYZ-HKG seems to continue going up.
Have YYZ-HKG booked 10 days from now in PE, N fare
Minimum Bid to J is $810,

Using E-upgrade would be $750 plus 26 credits. and I have 75 credits expiring 2/28/2018 and 2 round trip Trans-Pacific flights booked in the next 2 months. First YYZ-HKG, 2nd YYZ-HND both departing YYZ on a Saturday and flying back on a Monday.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
Have YYZ-HKG booked 10 days from now in PE, N fare
Minimum Bid to J is $810,

Using E-upgrade would be $750 plus 26 credits. and I have 75 credits expiring 2/28/2018 and 2 round trip Trans-Pacific flights booked in the next 2 months. First YYZ-HKG, 2nd YYZ-HND both departing YYZ on a Saturday and flying back on a Monday.

Thoughts?
I would check the loads in J just before the 72h bid deadline and decide at that moment.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:48 pm

Upgrade data points for YYZ-FRA

Flying YYZ-FRA in several weeks. Over 20+ J seats open. Any ideas on what a successful upgrade bid would be?

Thanks,
COF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.