Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Quick question: I bought a standard economy seat on ORD YYZ in september. Will the flight be offered a bid for upgrade to J? If Im successful, can I check two luggage for free per J cabin?
Old May 24, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another Question

I've never flown AC before and just booked BOS-YUL-LYS after Norwegian emailed me that my flight was cancelled.

I bid $345 on the YUL-LYS segment (and another $345 on the return) for an upgrade to premium economy. The minimum bid was $275. It's an L fare on the outbound and a K fare on the return. Current status is "Pending". I suppose I won't find out for a couple weeks...but anything else to keep in mind?

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've never flown AC before and just booked BOS-YUL-LYS after Norwegian emailed me that my flight was cancelled.

I bid $345 on the YUL-LYS segment (and another $345 on the return) for an upgrade to premium economy. The minimum bid was $275. It's an L fare on the outbound and a K fare on the return. Current status is "Pending". I suppose I won't find out for a couple weeks...but anything else to keep in mind?

Thanks!
If you post the dates, someone can check the loads and predict the possibility of success. Without knowing how many unsold seats there are in PY its pretty hard to predict.
Other option is to call AC and find out what it would cost to upfare to PE so you dont have to guess if you win the lottery. On a dummy booking in July the fare to PE from lowest economy is $400 is which is very close to what you have 'bid' ($345). So if you are willing to pay $345, may make more sense to cough up $400 and get a confirmed seat in PE.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
If you post the dates, someone can check the loads and predict the possibility of success. Without knowing how many unsold seats there are in PY its pretty hard to predict.
Other option is to call AC and find out what it would cost to upfare to PE so you dont have to guess if you win the lottery. On a dummy booking in July the fare to PE from lowest economy is $400 is which is very close to what you have 'bid' ($345). So if you are willing to pay $345, may make more sense to cough up $400 and get a confirmed seat in PE.
Thanks. It's

AC 828 on June 8
AC 829 on June 17

When I booked this morning it wanted another $1200 per person for PE.

Last edited by gfunkdave; May 24, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Thanks. It's

AC 828 on June 8
AC 829 on June 17

When I booked this morning it wanted another $1200 per person for PE.
AC828 :
9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 O9 E9 N9 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9
So I would say your chances are good for the bid being accepted. Specially since you have offered more than the min.
AC829 :
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R4 O8 E8 N6 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9
Little tougher here but still likely to succeed.
These loads may change nearer that date but unlikely to completely sell out or sell close to capacity.
This a Airbus 330. E and N are PE classes. So this means there are at least 9 seats unsold in PE on the outbound and 8 on the return.
All the low fare economy classes are still available so unlikely to be any op-ups.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neat, thanks! Which fare buckets are premium economy?
Old May 24, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Neat, thanks! Which fare buckets are premium economy?
O E N
gfunkdave likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Quick question: I bought a standard economy seat on ORD YYZ in september. Will the flight be offered a bid for upgrade to J? If Im successful, can I check two luggage for free per J cabin?
Put your booking code and name into the AC website and it’ll tell you if you can bid on an upgrade. LMUs will be offered at OLCI if there is space in J they’re willing to sell to people. More seats free, cheaper LMU. No seats no LMU.

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Accepted bids give you J allowance 2 x 32kg checked luggage. I assume LMUs do too but am not 100% and AC doesn’t seem to clearly define this.

It’s possible someone who doesn’t get that allowance (so basically non status, though P25 gets 2 at 23kg) already can chip in, or someone with better search skills than me.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I've only ever bid the absolute minimum for PE (price to J has always been insane) and to date I've never been rejected which for me is just fine on both trans-con and TATL

Latest example has been about $200 CAD for a bid up to PE at T-72 which on a YYZ-YVR trip of just under 5 hours is fine for me given i was on a S fare bucket but YMMV
Old May 28, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I recently attended a Plusgrade presentation and learned the following:
  • Altitude status positively impacts chances to be approved for an upgrade, even if bid is lower that nobody or lower status passengers.
  • Certain passenger categories, such as passengers ticketed with kids, are disqualified from having their upgrade bids selected.
  • These kind of criteria can be different for other airlines using Plusgrade.
Neil791 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
  • Altitude status positively impacts chances to be approved for an upgrade, even if bid is lower that nobody or lower status passengers.
  • Certain passenger categories, such as passengers ticketed with kids, are disqualified from having their upgrade bids selected.
Nice to hear that Altitude status improves bid upgrades success.
What other passenger categories disqualify a upgrade ? Got the part about kids but what else ?
Old May 28, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, what is a Plusgrade presentation?
Old May 29, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
It's just someone from Plusgrade who made a presentation during a technology / start-up seminar.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
It's just someone from Plusgrade who made a presentation during a technology / start-up seminar.
<br />Thanks for sharing....interesting tidbits!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Here's a bidding strategy question -- I have a flight coming up from YTZ-YUL-TLV (the PE seats were 1/2 the price on the connecting flight). If I submit an eBid for the YUL-TLV leg and 'win' then I can't even try a same day confirmed change to get onto the YYZ-TLV flight. So, the question is whether it's worth even trying for J or sucking it up and just accept the fact that I'm flying PE -- so that I can at least try to get on the direct TLV flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.