Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wigg
Moderator note: Any questions regarding availability/fare buckets on a specific flight or flights should be posted in the fare bucket check request thread. Any such posts in this thread will be deleted.

Q: When should I use eUpgrades, and when should I use AC Bid?
A: For starters, you can use both of them on a single booking. If one upgrade is accepted, the other is cancelled at no cost to you. One thing to consider is that eUpgrade priority is highly influenced by your Aeroplan Elite status and the fare class of the original ticket, but AC Bid is influenced by your bid as compared to other people. If you don't have a high Aeroplan Elite status, AC Bid may be the better choice for you.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade do I get additional SQM / SQD now for my flights?
A: No.

Q: If I use a Bid Upgrade on an International Flight leaving YYZ/YVR do I get access to the Signature Lounge?

Q: When will I find out if my bid was successful?
A: You will be sent an email within 36 to 48 hours prior to your departure.

Q: If I am successfully upgraded, which baggage limit applies?
A: The baggage rules of the upgraded ticket apply. Note that this is different than eUpgrades, where the original tickets baggage rules still apply.

Q: When do I pay for a bid?
A: Your credit card is only charged when the bid is accepted, which will happen no earlier than 48 hours before departure. Note that if your card is declined, even temporarily for a fraud check, you will lose the bid and will not get another opportunity.

Q: Can I cancel an AC Bid?
A: Yes, but only until 48 hours before departure.

Q: If I cancel the booking after successfully bidding for an upgrade, or if I miss the flight, will I get a refund?

Q: If Air Canada rebooks me on another flight, what happens to my AC Bid upgrade?
A: You keep it and Air Canada will put you in the upgraded cabin on the new flight. If the new flight does not have Premium Economy, or if there are not enough Business class seats, then your AC Bid will be refunded.

Q: I have a flight going from XXX to YYY on DD-MM-YY and the minimum bid is $ZZZ - what are my chances / what should I bid?
A: No one here really knows how Plusgrade as implemented by AC really 'decides' which bids to accept.
There are so many potential variables that it's best just to bid what you feel the upgrade is worth to you.

Q: I was successful in a Bid Upgrade to the PY cabin. Can I now use my e upgrades to attempt to upgrade to J?

A: No. Only 1 upgrade is allowed. The same applies to a last minute upgrade to PY.

AC Bid Upgrade - FAQs

If your upgrade request is accepted, the fare conditions for the original ticket you purchased shall remain in effect and will be applicable with respect to cancellation policies, change fees, conditions for minimum and maximum stay, and rules relating to the accrual of frequent flyer miles. All other conditions will be per the upgraded fare class.

On the AC website:

"AC Bid Upgrade - Your opportunity to travel in a higher cabin class"

https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/AirCanada

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Bid Upgrade Program

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
I've got an upcoming flight from YUL-YYZ and I've been given the option to upgrade with the range being between $100-$300 CAD (lowest-highest) which i'm not going to bother with for such a short trip.

The interesting thing is that the flight was booked by my corporate TA based in Norway and the price to select a regular (and preferred) seat ahead of time is in NOK, whereas the upgrade quote is in CAD?!?

For such a short flight i'm fine paying $23 CAD (converted from NOK) for a 'preferred' seat as opposed to bidding $100 CAD for a chance to sit one row further forward
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Have you and others seen my response upthread?

Do folks not see the currency change option (drop down menu in the top right corner) or is the consternation over which default currency is shown?
I did see that, but didn’t see a change option and haven’t been able to check via a PC since. My issue with be the default currency, given the 1.3x USD/CAD rate at present.

Originally Posted by Neil791
I've got an upcoming flight from YUL-YYZ and I've been given the option to upgrade with the range being between $100-$300 CAD (lowest-highest) which i'm not going to bother with for such a short trip.

The interesting thing is that the flight was booked by my corporate TA based in Norway and the price to select a regular (and preferred) seat ahead of time is in NOK, whereas the upgrade quote is in CAD?!?

For such a short flight i'm fine paying $23 CAD (converted from NOK) for a 'preferred' seat as opposed to bidding $100 CAD for a chance to sit one row further forward
If the $100 is J you will get a much better seat that a few more inches of legroom and any preferred seat costs refunded. Of course, it’s stil only a 1.5h flight. You may get a sandwich too lol.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: A3, AC

Anyone seen this before?
https://imgur.com/bQJEZ1X

Edit: Image display doesn't seem to work for me, even using imgur....
Edit2: Seem to have gotten things working...ish?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cyralax

Anyone seen this before?
https://imgur.com/bQJEZ1X

Edit: Image display doesn't seem to work for me, even using imgur....
Edit2: Seem to have gotten things working...ish?
This may be a recent AC promo announced that had bids for certain routes reduced by 20%
cyralax likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Is the flight J0? Unlikely I know. AC phone reservations might know.

Edit - If you somehow booked basic on the return (no idea if K is possibly basic these days, I think it used to be Tango) ... no upgrades are allowed.
Interestingly on the outbound, I see O0, E0, N0 for the outbound (this is Rogue so Premium Economy O/E/N is the highest available buy-up) via ExpertFlyer. Meanwhile searching for the return it's showing J9, C9, D9, Z2, P0, R0 FWIW. I'm somewhat tempted in calling an agent but the last time I called them to inquire all they would tell me is that the eligible routes and flights are up to the discretion of management. And no, these aren't Economy Basic fares, since they are only available on Canada Domestic flights per Air Canada. I was thinking that maybe AC wouldn't accept bids this early for a December flight but saw upthread that someone got such an offer (albeit for Domestic).

Any ideas?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
And no, these aren't Economy Basic fares, since they are only available on Canada Domestic flights per Air Canada. I was thinking that maybe AC wouldn't accept bids this early for a December flight but saw upthread that someone got such an offer (albeit for Domestic).

Any ideas?

Safe Travels,

James
Not to stray too far off topic, but AC is now posting Economy Basic fares for international flights as well. I was looking at some surprisingly cheap LHR fares ex-YVR the other day, only to discover they were economy basic.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Not to stray too far off topic, but AC is now posting Economy Basic fares for international flights as well. I was looking at some surprisingly cheap LHR fares ex-YVR the other day, only to discover they were economy basic.
Ok... double checked itinerary and both outbound and return are called "Economy - Standard" and booked into, which also lists a free checked bag. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I suspect this entitles me to bid-upgrade (ticket was booked direct with AC)?. Also somewhat surprised how bloody expensive flights to Europe are - paid nearly $800 CAD for this (including 15% fare discount thanks to AMEX) booked several months in advance. Meanwhile I could fly from YOW to HKG for around $800 CAD on UA booking the ticket about 4 weeks out.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Edit - If you somehow booked basic on the return (no idea if K is possibly basic these days, I think it used to be Tango) ... no upgrades are allowed.

Just wanted to let you know that (domestically at least) K books into Eco-Standard.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cyralax
Just wanted to let you know that (domestically at least) K books into Eco-Standard.
With branded fares now in play, a domestic/transborder K fare class can map to both Flex and/or Standard (fka Tango) fare bases, depending on route.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Ok... double checked itinerary and both outbound and return are called "Economy - Standard" and booked into, which also lists a free checked bag. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I suspect this entitles me to bid-upgrade (ticket was booked direct with AC)?. Also somewhat surprised how bloody expensive flights to Europe are - paid nearly $800 CAD for this (including 15% fare discount thanks to AMEX) booked several months in advance. Meanwhile I could fly from YOW to HKG for around $800 CAD on UA booking the ticket about 4 weeks out.

Safe Travels,

James
If it’s not Basic or full I have nothing beyond AC IT.

Standard is indeed a free bag internationally. You would get another as *G I believe. $800 RT TATL is actually a good price for AC.

Bear in mind YYZ YXE is still $725-750 next summer. And that’s about half the distance.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold

If the $100 is J you will get a much better seat that a few more inches of legroom and any preferred seat costs refunded. Of course, it’s stil only a 1.5h flight. You may get a sandwich too lol.
this is true, and given I've been in Scandinavia for the past 3 months the idea of spending $100 on a sandwich isn't too far fetched...LOL!!!
Queen B likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Travelling on an Aeroplan reward ticket (booking class X) - Upgrade offered at check-in from EWR - YYZ is $164.

Travelling to ICN and at T- 16 days, I have been offered an upgrade from Premium Economy lowest (Booking Class E )as follows:

YYZ - YVR: $220 - $700, initial prompt from AC is $350;
YVR - ICN: $700 - $1,780, initial prompt from AC is $850.

* If I were to bid the lowest offer, that would be an additional $920 and the cost of my PE ticket was approximately $1,200, one way, for a total of $2,120. At the time that I made my reservations, business class was offered at approximately $2,300, so I would recommend to those wanting to travel in business class to Asia to purchase it outright, based on PE lowest fares. Note, that I don't have the costing to business class for those travelling in Standard/Flex fares.

Returning from HKG - YYZ and at T - 30 days, the offer from Premium Economy Lowest (Booking Class E) as follows:
HKG - YYZ: $845 - $1,500, initial prompt from AC is $1,150.

* Similar scenario as above, my PE ticket was approximately $1,400 one way and taking into account the lowest bid of $845, the total cost would be $2,245. At the time that I reserved my reservations, business class was offered at approximately $2,500. As many others have indicated, why play the lotto game for $250. It would be interesting to see the data points for upgrade to J class from the Standard/Flex fares.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:58 am

^ Thanks qrctraveller68 for the info, it's good to have the comparison for final cost after upgrade vs outright purchase at time of reservation.

Recently on AC888 YOW-LHR, bid upgrade range was $900-2 000 taxes in; didn't bid, and at OLCI, AC offered $1 250 plus tax. On AC889 LHR-YOW, range was $900-2 000; I bid $905 (just to be ever slightly above minimum) and was accepted. Original fare was $1 050 return (L) booked T-7 days, so assuming bids of $905 would have been accepted both ways, total would have been $2 860. I don't know what the business fare would have been at reservation time, but a similar itinerary now at T-7 days is $9 250.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
Hi everyone! Long time lurker posting for the first time here. I was just looking at the AC bid upgrade page recently and noticed that there seems to be a new section for 'instant upgrades'. Not sure if this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find any posts that relate to this new 'feature'. I'm guessing these new instant upgrades will end up coming out of the ever so elusive R space. Then again, if they charge anything like the 21 million they were asking for in the recent LMU discussion there may not be many takers.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Thanks for your advice as well governorgeneral, as I know a few of us from YOW, do travel this route frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.