Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is YYC a fake AC hub?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:21 pm

Passengers numbers 2015

Hi,

For the last three weeks there has been a number of newspaper stories on the customs/immigration delays here at YUL and the published total passenger numbers for 2015 is that YUL, which had fallen behind YYC , is now again ahead : YYZ 39,6 million, YVR 19,7 million, YUL 14,8 million and YYC 14,6 million, but I Think that when YUL was behind YYC, YUL still had more international passengers.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaudi1234
but I Think that when YUL was behind YYC, YUL still had more international passengers.
That's all these cheap flights on either AF or cheap charters to France.

Not sure if these should count as a plus or a minus though.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You've clearly forgotten Yellowknife which is only serviced from YYC and YEG.

EDIT: to add some serious commentary, yes, YYC is a hub. Not a big one, but for many of the smaller stations in BC and Alberta where you're obliged to connect in YYC or YVR on the way to anywhere, I'm sure people would rather connect in YYC when heading to YYZ/YUL & Atlantic Canada than backtrack to YVR.
That's crazy talk. YZF *used to be* a hub back when we had YYC, YEG, and YVR. Now, just relegated to second-tier status. Or something like that...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
YYC is a hub because AC says it's a hub. But the point of the post is, it's not just a slightly smaller hub that YVR, YUL and YYZ. It's quite a lot smaller. Hence "fake". But AC can, I suppose, call any airport a hub, just like WS doesn't call YVR one (but it kinda is).

Yes, people can connect to YXE and YQR through YYC, but they can also do that at all the other hubs and YWG so people are not generally going to do this unless they are being fed into YYC from a small airport in AB or from YYT. No one transits YYC from the east; they'll go through YYZ.

All three major AC hubs have lounges in domestic, international and trans-border. Even YQR has a domestic lounge.
eigenvector has already made some great points and I don't want to duplicate those, but I will add a couple of thoughts.

Your original point was that many destinations AC offers from YYC are "better out of YVR". But you seem to have shifted tack with this laundry list of complaints above and I think this is going off the rails a bit. So let's look at some of these.

YYC-LHR? So does YHZ, it's not a hub. It also has YHZ-BOS.
So what? For many people living in AB/SK/parts of BC, YYC is the most convenient connection point for LHR.

YYC-LAS is Rogue - WS is likely a better choice.
[...]
YYC-PHX is Rogue - WS is likely a better choice.
Again, so what? Do people from other parts of the prairies connect through YYC to get these flights on AC/ACr? Yes.

YYC-SEA is seasonal and Alaska now offers mainline service year round.
So what? AC has seasonal routes from every hub, including YYZ, YVR and YUL. Does that make them not hubs?

As for AS, they have (most days) 3 daily departures and only one, the least convenient one of the day, is mainline. The others are on Q400s. As far as I'm concerned, DL actually has the best service on this route.

YYC-IAH is a CR7 and both UA and WS offer more comfortable options.
Nothing to do with this being a hub. AC flies CRJs to BNA from YYZ, WS flies 737s. Does that mean YYZ isn't an AC hub?

As for WS being more comfortable, dream on. CRAs suck on that route because they're noisy and the J product is sub-par, but a CRA in J is better than WS+ and a CRA in Y is better than WS Y. The only place WS wins is on overhead bin space.

I also find the AC flights have better timing for connections to/from LatAm and if I'm working the day in IAH, would rather be on AC8107 so I can get a full day of work in rather than the UA flight a couple hours earlier.

YYC-SFO - More comfy options offered by UA.
Depends on what equipment UA is running on the day. Try sitting in Y on one of their CR7s, it's frigging awful, the CRA is definitely better (although we'll see whether that holds after the refit).

But again, this has nothing to do with YYC being a hub. Some might say JAL has a better product than AC; does that invalidate YVR's TYO service from hub consideration?

I'm hoping OGG gets added as a 787 route soon.
Notice how YYC-OGG is still mainline but the YVR flights have all been rouged? So, YVR really shouldn't be considered as a hub since AC has a better option from YYC and WS might be more comfortable if flying from YVR, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.