Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid Year-Round (Almost)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Madrid Year-Round (Almost)

Madrid for years has been one of our (my) seasonal gems operating generally between June & October. Looks like the season has been expanded to include service YYZ-MAD until January 6, with a slight interruption until March 1. Loads have been very healthy and being one of my regular runs, the 787 has served the route well. J carries a significant % of business traffic and PY has been extremely popular on the route. Service reverts back to the 767 through the quieter period, but great to have a continued direct link.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Madrid for years has been one of our (my) seasonal gems operating generally between June & October. Looks like the season has been expanded to include service YYZ-MAD until January 6, with a slight interruption until March 1. Loads have been very healthy and being one of my regular runs, the 787 has served the route well. J carries a significant % of business traffic and PY has been extremely popular on the route. Service reverts back to the 767 through the quieter period, but great to have a continued direct link.
December we go.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Man, I wish I'd looked at connecting at MAD for BCN. Rouge was awful. Post to follow. Too wrecked at the moment.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Man, I wish I'd looked at connecting at MAD for BCN. Rouge was awful. Post to follow. Too wrecked at the moment.
I flew mainline through FRA and then LH to BCN. Arrived maybe 40 minutes later than the Rouge direct from YYZ? But much much more comfortable.

^
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Good to hear! But sad it's getting the 767. Maybe they'll re-do the J and add PY one day!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I flew mainline through FRA and then LH to BCN. Arrived maybe 40 minutes later than the Rouge direct from YYZ? But much much more comfortable.

^
And how early did you have to leave from YYZ in order to arrive only 40 minutes later than the Rouge flight?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Good to hear! But sad it's getting the 767. Maybe they'll re-do the J and add PY one day!
But only for a brief period. It's the aircraft that best matches Winter capacity. Non-Stop still trumps a connection.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jasdou
And how early did you have to leave from YYZ in order to arrive only 40 minutes later than the Rouge flight?
You know what? I'd have been happy to leave earlier for the airport if I had put the 8-hour rouge comfort in the proper perspective. AND if it cost me a 3-hour layover in FRA MLL, I am cool with that. Live and learn. More free wine in FRA MLL than on board YYZ-BCN Y class. (I didn't even see them selling wine.) And if I recall correctly, you get wine in mainline Y TATL.

Non-stop trumps connection if non-stop is mainline or flight duration < X, where X is one's personal threshold of tolerance for rouge minus. I have discovered that for me, X < 8 hours.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: AC*SE
Loads have been very healthy and being one of my regular runs, the 787 has served the route well.
Great, well maybe I'll see you in a few weeks then!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:56 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyquiet
You know what? I'd have been happy to leave earlier for the airport if I had put the 8-hour rouge comfort in the proper perspective. AND if it cost me a 3-hour layover in FRA MLL, I am cool with that. Live and learn. More free wine in FRA MLL than on board YYZ-BCN Y class. (I didn't even see them selling wine.) And if I recall correctly, you get wine in mainline Y TATL.
Even better, since FRA-BCN is intra-Schengen, you would presumably be in the LH Senator lounge, which has better food and beverage offerings than the FRA MLL (although I don't mind the FRA MLL). And on the way home, you'd have your pick of an LH Senator or MLL. Or do both!

But I would tend to agree that the connection is likely the superior option given the sheer discomfort of rouge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.