Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Equal price: buy YUL - MEX direct in Premium Rouge or YYZ - MEX on AC J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Equal price: buy YUL - MEX direct in Premium Rouge or YYZ - MEX on AC J?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Lightbulb Equal price: buy YUL - MEX direct in Premium Rouge or YYZ - MEX on AC J?

Hi y'all,

I fly mostly TPAC... and AC TATL. I try to avoid Rouge... but I'm now going to MEX for a few days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a choice between a direct flight on Rouge (sigh?) in Premium economy (AC1988) or J class on YYZ - MEX (AC993), adding getting to YYZ from YUL. That doesn't bother me much if I'm in for a disastrous experience on Rouge Premium (and a better one on AC J)!

Both relevant flights are on A319 (Rouge vs AC configurations). Both routes sell for exactly the same price.

Have you flown either AC1988 in Premium or AC993 in J? What would you recommend? What are the main differences? What am I gaining from adding a connection (or losing if I don't). I've been generally spoilt on TPAC AC J and mostly on the 787. I know neither will compare, but how does Premium compare to J on that type of route (TCTL - 5 hour flight)

My inclination is to think that service/food/wine and IFE would be better through YYZ on AC. Rouge confuses everything (or does it?)

I know a lot has been written on Rogue, but I thought this question might still be relevant. If it's not, please point me in the right direction... it's a huge forum out there for occasional users

Please help!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
The physical seats will be identical aside from the lack of seat-back IFE on the ACr flight. Considering they're the same price, I'd book the flight that offers you the best schedule.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
If you're not stuck on AC or *A partners, Aeromexico flies direct YUL-MEX. I had a very pleasant experience with them last time I did that route.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
The physical seats will be identical aside from the lack of seat-back IFE on the ACr flight. Considering they're the same price, I'd book the flight that offers you the best schedule.
Agreed. Would also add the meals etc should be essentially the same on the two flights as well. Unless you really love seatback IFE, there's no reason not to take the direct.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by segacs
If you're not stuck on AC or *A partners, Aeromexico flies direct YUL-MEX. I had a very pleasant experience with them last time I did that route.
Thanks, but yes, AC it has to be...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I would take the connection via YYZ so I could have in-flight wifi.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Agreed. Would also add the meals etc should be essentially the same on the two flights as well. Unless you really love seatback IFE, there's no reason not to take the direct.
Thanks! Seat guru has AC A319 at 38-39 (pitch) and Rouge 319 at 36... I'm guessing at 6' tall, that's not much of a difference...?

And really? Same meals / wine? That's good to know... there is such a difference between J and PE on TPAC flights I had almost vowed not to fly PE ever again (that was on the YYZ - NRT AC1 a few years back)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
Thanks! Seat guru has AC A319 at 38-39 (pitch) and Rouge 319 at 36... I'm guessing at 6' tall, that's not much of a difference...?
Air Canada's website lists the pitch for the ML 319 at 37" and rouge at 36". Honestly, until you made this post I had no idea there was a difference -- IME they're completely indistinguishable when you're sitting in them apart for the missing IFE screen.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffsim
Air Canada's website lists the pitch for the ML 319 at 37" and rouge at 36". Honestly, until you made this post I had no idea there was a difference -- IME they're completely indistinguishable when you're sitting in them apart for the missing IFE screen.
Hahahaha! Thanks. I always go to seat guru .. Never would have checked AC for that info
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I would take the connection via YYZ so I could have in-flight wifi.
Really? You mean the in-flight WiFi that's slow as molasses and half the time can't manage to get a connection?

To each his own. But personally I'd prefer saving the extra couple of hours on the connection and just using the internet when I land.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
Hahahaha! Thanks. I always go to seat guru .. Never would have checked AC for that info
AC's website does have some useful info from time to time

Anyway, I go back to my first point about schedule. Choose whichever one works best for you in terms of departure and arrival times. That doesn't always mean going with the direct flight, although in this case, they arrive at roughly the same time so I'd totally take the ACr option and catch another hour-ish of sleep ^
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat same. Service same. You want to tradeoff silly rouge uniform for an extra stop? To each his own.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Seat same. Service same. You want to tradeoff silly rouge uniform for an extra stop? To each his own.
Agreed.
Amazed by people electing to connect when they're lucky to have n/s service in their home market (assuming negligible price and schedule difference)

Not sure if it's a luxury or a curse having enough extra time in life to spend it waiting in lines and walking through airports.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Same price for a direct flight? Take the direct flight! Rouge Premium vs. Mainline J short-haul, despite all the caterwauling on this board, is pretty similar.
EDIT - oops, may have to change my tag line
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Front Cabin? 5.5 hours versus 7.5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.