Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gluten-Free what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: SE100k
I tend not to have much sympathy for those (including my wife) with special dietary needs who don't pre-plan then whine about people and organisations not taking their dietary considerations into account; on the other hand Gluten Free has become a bit of the fad du jour and it does seem odd that AC would put their staff in a situation where:
1. a meal service offers only products with gluten
I don't eat carbs or sugar as a rule, almost everything served has gluten, so I just work around it. I've been on flights where the only dinner meal was breakfast (#winning), where they didn't have enough meals for J at all, where they didn't even have meal service because they couldn't heat the meals, and even times when they couldn't serve coffee or tea. I've been on flights where Y pax treated the inflight selections as grocery shopping and they ran out of food by row 14 or 15...

Airline food is overrated at the best of times, and if you have special dietary needs/preferences, keeping some snacks in your carry-on is just wise.

I guess my working rule is - as long as they have wine to serve, I'm happy
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Member

What would I do?

I'd simply eat the gluten -
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by KenHamer
What would I do?

I'd simply eat the gluten - .....
Thanks Ken.

The last minute and a half of the video is all one needs to remind the universe that some humans are not very smart. Gluten-free dog food? Seriously?

What's that line about parting a fool from his money...
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
In all these years of FT I never thought I'd see the day where an entire thread was devoted to The Lovely Mrs. Lev's (TLML) flatulence.

The reality is The Lev was hosed. Either he spends 10h next to TLML without food, or he spends it next to her with food that disagrees with her.

This is glorious. May this thread never die. May it become the new "Duplicate, please delete."
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by zorn
In all these years of FT I never thought I'd see the day where an entire thread was devoted to The Lovely Mrs. Lev's (TLML) flatulence.
You must be new here.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by The Lev
Was flying with WifeLev in PE from YYZ-HND the other day. WifeLev is Gluten-free but we didn't book any special meal for her knowing that usually there's enough GF alternatives. She eats the salad and main course from the first meal (bins the roll and dessert). Mid-flight snack is delivered and it is noodles (gluten), sandwich (gluten), cookie (gluten). WifeLev asks the FA if there are any gluten-free alternatives. FA asks if she had ordered GF meal and she says no. FA says nothing is available.

A couple of hours later, WifeLev is getting hungry (she does not share my ability to go long periods of time without nourishment). FA goes by and she explains her GF situation and says by mistake she packed her nuts in her checked bag, so would it be possible to get a bag of nuts, which she would be happy to pay for. FA says no, BoB is only on North American flights, that these things are monitored very closely by management and that giving nuts to a PE passenger would be considered "theft" (seriously???) and offers to get her pretzels (gluten). WifeLev asks for the Service Director who comes by a few minutes later.

Fortunately early in the flight, the SD had introduced herself to us and said "if there is anything I can do to make your flight more comfortable...", so my wife reminded her of this and explained the situation asking again for a big of nuts. She returned a couple of minutes with a couple of bags of cashews.

This whole episode left me somewhat torn - on the one hand, I tend not to have much sympathy for those (including my wife) with special dietary needs who don't pre-plan then whine about people and organisations not taking their dietary considerations into account; on the other hand Gluten Free has become a bit of the fad du jour and it does seem odd that AC would put their staff in a situation where:
2. a FA doesn't have discretion to deal with the above situation sensibly and the SD needs to get called to get something/anything that the person can eat

All I know is that I would not have wanted to be anywhere near my wife if she had been forced to go 10+ hours without food.

End of rant.
You're situation sucks (or more specifically your wife's). It would be nice if the FA had the ability to make such a call but currently they do not.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:49 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
This whole episode left me somewhat torn - on the one hand, I tend not to have much sympathy for those (including my wife) with special dietary needs who don't pre-plan then whine about people and organisations not taking their dietary considerations into account; on the other hand Gluten Free has become a bit of the fad du jour and it does seem odd that AC would put their staff in a situation where:
2. a FA doesn't have discretion to deal with the above situation sensibly and the SD needs to get called to get something/anything that the person can eat

All I know is that I would not have wanted to be anywhere near my wife if she had been forced to go 10+ hours without food.
I don't place any blame on AC for #1, but re #2, I think this is a case of you just having a bad FA. Sounds like the SD took care of the situation though.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
What would I do?

I'd simply eat the gluten - You Probably Don't Need to Be on that Gluten-free Diet.
Makes me think of this:

Oh, and @segacs, great post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.