Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Current eUpgrade Promotion for eUpgrade Requests Made Until June 30, 2020

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/special-offers/eupgrade-offer.html

Upgrades to Business Class

US

Europe/Middle East/South America

Asia/Australia
Upgrades to Premium Economy

US (This is the only promotion for Premium Economy at this time)

Print Wikipost

New eUpgrade Requirements! Co-pay for lower flex fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
LMAO
great! I can maybe eUp my flight back from Florida, only $150 to eUp a K fare, but I paid just over 150 so a little over for business isn't a bad deal!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I love how they made new eup rules and then eliminated them with promos for 2 years.

What's going to happen the day they finally stop?
I suspect the speculation in the other thread about domestic PE is correct - They will revert to the 'new' eup rules when domestic PE is ready for sale.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Remember the only thing thats changing when the promotion ends is the ability to eup tango and AE rewards. The reduced credits, and expanded upgrade window were permanent enhancements to the program. It was just a little confusing as they were announced at the same time.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
I suspect the speculation in the other thread about domestic PE is correct - They will revert to the 'new' eup rules when domestic PE is ready for sale.
Probably went down like this:

(Late October 2014)
AC Management: We need to get rid of the cheapeners that are taking up potential revenue seats
AC Altitude Team: We can devalue eUpgrades to reduce cheapeners
AC Management: Good, do it! Throw them a bone on upgrades to PE where we only give them one decent meal.
AC Altitude Team: Done. Upgrades to J cabin now costs 50% more credits, and upgrades to PE is half of that.

(December 2014)
AC Marketing: We haven't sold many domestic PE seats.
AC Management: And we're paying compensation for cabin downgrades.
AC Operations: There just aren't many aircrafts fitted with PE seats that operate domestically. When we swap a wide body with PE seats for an aircraft without PE seats, downgrades are inevitable.
AC Management: We thought we would be able to sell domestic PE, that's why we told Altitude to devalue domestic eUpgrade program so significantly. Now you want us to admit that we f---ed up? No f---ing way.
AC Altitude: We can save your face by running an indefinite promotion, until all wide bodies are fitted with PE seats.
AC Management: Good, do it! Don't f--- up again.

(September 2015)
AC Management: PE retrofit isn't done yet.
AC Altitude: Got it, we extend the promotion.

(September 2016)
AC Altitude: We extend the promotion again, and throw in co-pay for Tango and Aeroplan tickets.

(April 2017)
AC Management: We are ready to sell domestic PE again.
AC Altitude: When?
AC Management: Summer 2017
AC Altitude: Promo ends May 14 so that the FFs get used to the new requirement.

Disclaimer: No idea if the above is true. It was just for fun.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I wish some of these promotions would include crossing an ocean

sigh...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Remember the only thing thats changing when the promotion ends is the ability to eup tango and AE rewards. The reduced credits, and expanded upgrade window were permanent enhancements to the program. It was just a little confusing as they were announced at the same time.
I think a lot of people are missing this very important point.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think a lot of people are missing this very important point.
Yeah. And apparently it needs saying explicitly because every time it is pointed out that the reduced requirements/increased window no longer has a time limit half a dozen people keep the thread going as if it too changes on May 14th.

I also think too much is being made of domestic PY. Unless they are reconfiguring aircraft, it will be a very small % of routes that will offer this (same % as international J on domestic routes?). It may become more prevalent in the future but for now it is just not that big a deal.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I wish some of these promotions would include crossing an ocean

sigh...
+1 (meeeeelion)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
I also think too much is being made of domestic PY. Unless they are reconfiguring aircraft, it will be a very small % of routes that will offer this (same % as international J on domestic routes?). It may become more prevalent in the future but for now it is just not that big a deal.
Slightly less since the 763s aren't getting PY but have international J.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by YYT82

(Late October 2014)
AC Management: We need to get rid of the cheapeners that are taking up potential revenue seats
AC Management: Good, do it! Throw them a bone on upgrades to PE where we only give them one decent meal.
AC Altitude Team: Done. Upgrades to J cabin now costs 50% more credits, and upgrades to PE is half of that.

(December 2014)
AC Operations: There just aren't many aircrafts fitted with PE seats that operate domestically. When we swap a wide body with PE seats for an aircraft without PE seats, downgrades are inevitable.
AC Management: We thought we would be able to sell domestic PE, that's why we told Altitude to devalue domestic eUpgrade program so significantly. Now you want us to admit that we f---ed up? No f---ing way.
AC Altitude: We can save your face by running an indefinite promotion, until all wide bodies are fitted with PE seats.

(September 2015)

(September 2016)
AC Altitude: We extend the promotion again, and throw in co-pay for Tango and Aeroplan tickets.

(April 2017)

Do you work at AC?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Member

(Late October 2014)

(December 2014)

(September 2015)

(September 2016)

(April 2017)

The werd(c) you are looking for is 'plausible'.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
I have a question regarding this. I recently purchased an aeroplan reward ticket with my mums miles, and went to my eupgrade account to see if it could be upgrade-able in future. I'm not actually interested, but was curious as it's new to me the potential capability (Also, on the flight I'll be on there's almost 0 chance anyway). It says it can't be done because I'd need to nominate the traveler (me) to be an upgrade nominee.

I then went to my mums upgrade account, and found it could be up-gradable. That seems odd, but also suggests for the first time that aeroplan numbers are now added to reward tickets. Given this apparent change, is there a way of changing the aeroplan number associated with the booking. Also, hypothetically, were an reward ticket upgraded with the bookers account, is that even OK given we're supposed to use our own credits for our own travel. Or is this just another AC technical fail again?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

(Late October 2014)

(December 2014)

(September 2015)

(September 2016)

(April 2017)

Good thing you added the disclaimer. For a min I thought you were serious about a "decent meal" being offered.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moorw003
I have a question regarding this. I recently purchased an aeroplan reward ticket with my mums miles, and went to my eupgrade account to see if it could be upgrade-able in future. I'm not actually interested, but was curious as it's new to me the potential capability (Also, on the flight I'll be on there's almost 0 chance anyway). It says it can't be done because I'd need to nominate the traveler (me) to be an upgrade nominee.

I then went to my mums upgrade account, and found it could be up-gradable. That seems odd, but also suggests for the first time that aeroplan numbers are now added to reward tickets. Given this apparent change, is there a way of changing the aeroplan number associated with the booking. Also, hypothetically, were an reward ticket upgraded with the bookers account, is that even OK given we're supposed to use our own credits for our own travel. Or is this just another AC technical fail again?
This is an unintended side effect.

When you book an Aeroplan ticket, the number for the account the miles came out of is added to the FQTR field.

There are all kinds of interesting and stupid issues with this, not the least of which is your inability to upgrade yourself.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I wonder why I could eUpgrade from X to J internationally as a SE, but I can't eUpgrade from X to PE. odd..... or maybe I can but the table in the preview is wrong....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.