Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Didn't re-check bags at Toronto Airport for customs. Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't re-check bags at Toronto Airport for customs. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ffsim
You're 100% right in what you're saying WRT connecting bags not having to be reclaimed, so please don't think I'm arguing with you. But nowhere on that sign does it say to not pick up your luggage. Nor does it suggest your luggage is checked through. In either language.

The first time I saw that sign, my reaction was, "yeah, and? I always have to present my receipt to an officer" and I walked right by.
Yes I know... Was just trying to illustrate what the signs in the baggage hall look like. When I first saw those signs for NEXUS members I interpreted it as you must speak to the officer at the NEXUS desk, which I have done on the few times I was a connecting pax in YYZ. In all of those occasions, they scan boarding pass and "clear" the bag. Not sure what happens if you don't do that.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by D582
In all of those occasions, they scan boarding pass and "clear" the bag. Not sure what happens if you don't do that.
Oh, interesting. See, I thought the "agent" we had to present the receipt to was the agent who *everyone* presents their receipts to before we get to the escalators going into the main baggage area.

I'd have never thought to stop to see the agent at the 'special services' desk about my checked luggage because the sign doesn't suggest I should.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I come in from one of the listed countries!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I agree. That sign is a usability fail. Does not specify that the receipt is presented to a specific officer. The phrasing leaves it to the traveller to choose the officer. Literally, it doesn't even say it has to be a CBSA officer. You could show it to a Mountie, or a Peel Regional Police officer. It should, for instance, put a big number or letter above the kiosk where this specific officer is, and say to go to that location to present the receipt. It also leaves it to the imagination what the purpose of this would be (i.e., is this about looking at your bag on the closed circuit TV?)
If they make announcements about it, that excludes me and another 4% of the population that can't hear it adequately, so the sign really should be self-contained.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Good news everyone. My bag(s) were found. The AC person at Winnipeg Airport had sent a message in Athens, Barcelona and Toronto and the bags were in... Barcelona.

However, they responded to AC's message twice, saying one bag was sent through Montreal and then they sent the same message that the same bag is sent through Toronto. The AC person said that probably that both bags were found and they just didn't bother typing the code for the second bag. The world tracer shows only for one bag (the one coming through Toronto. Is this accurate? I should find out today.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Fingers crossed until they are in your possession but sounds like really good news.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Both bags received. Thank you all very much!

Do you know if AC will pay for interim expenses?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by 555546727aaa
Both bags received. Thank you all very much!

Do you know if AC will pay for interim expenses?
For a mistake you made?

Last edited by IBJoel; Jun 13, 2019 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Sounds like OP didn't actually make any mistakes. The bags never made it out of Barcelona. That was AC's fault, not OP's fault.

OP, what sort of interim expenses? Was WPG home for you, or was it an outbound stop? That may make a difference in terms of what they'll cover, since it's easy to claim you need emergency stuff when you're on the road, but harder to claim you don't have a change of underwear or clothes if you're back home.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by D582
There are signs all over the customs hall that look similar to this as well as audible announcements. (This was taken in the NEXUS area so it references NEXUS. But there are similar signs in th baggage hall saying customers arriving from the listed cities need not reclaim their bags).

Having an ATH-BCN flight on another airline before is not relevant. If the bag was tagged in ATH as BCN-YYZ-YWG then it goes through automatically. At this point it's simply a mislaid baggage case. For all you know the bag never made it out of ATH.
What a poorly designed sign. Public signs that have 11 lines of text in English followed by the same in French will be ignored by most travels. A few will take photos of such sign for posting on forum to discuss said sign.

Honestly no one rushing to make a connection is going to pay attention to a sign like that. That is the type of sign that is put up by bureaucrats so after the fact they can say "But, we told you, we had a sign and it even said Attention. What! You were looking the other way at the sign of talking penguins selling Visa cards or the underwear model on the sports car. Nonsense our sign is so much more engaging and important looking."

They should pro-actively move to doing this for all flights from all destinations. That would result in a consistent consumer experience. Basically, your bags should be transferred to the final destination unless the customs officer indicates otherwise. If customs in its wisdom decides we must inspect every bag off a given flight they can still do that.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanRulez
For a mistake you made?
The bags were found in BARCELONA, it's clearly AC's mistake.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I suggest you send the expenses you incurred to AC and ask for reimbursement as the flight was ex-EU. The fact that you were home makes no difference to EU. Also, you have some things at home, but other things you don't. Being home will make a difference in what AC will offer or what they will say is their policy, but they cannot make policy that takes away your entitlement under any laws. Just stand your ground and keep asking for reimbursement up to the legal entitlement.
Since the bags never arrived in YYZ, the fact OP did not collect them there would have done nothing but delay the OP to the destination.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Since the bags never arrived in YYZ, the fact OP did not collect them there would have done nothing but delay the OP to the destination.
Plus, he actually did not have to collect them at YYZ. He would have waited forever in front of a carousel while luggage was supposed to go direct to his final destination.

That he may not have known that is immaterial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.