Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You assume that what you see now is the only part of the overall plan.

I can tell you that when I have a big task of 10,000 lines of code to write, I'll write a few hundred and get them checked into production as soon as possible, to keep all the changes "small" and easy to review/revert. If there's a big new feature, this may mean a lot of stuff goes in behind the scenes before anything user-facing can go out. But if a revamp of the UI is required for a new feature, that can go in on its own while the rest is being developed or tested.

I don't know what AC is doing here, but it's not reasonable to assume that this is "it".

I know I know. I am absolutely not assuming that this is it.

Shame on me for using lines that don't come out well without the non-verbal!

I was actually hoping that someone was going to say "you missed on post xx that it was confirmed x y z features were coming".

But I guess this also shows how much I am NOT an IT guys.

I can relate to the "slow" development part. When every I ghetto-code stuff (aka script) I do it in parts as well because of the exact reason you mentioned (I learned the hard way that changing too many things at the same time can lead to a huge cluster-fromage of errors, that and "always back up your ....").

Crazy though how much stuff was able to break. I wonder why, and what is going on behind the scene.

I believe ANA changed their website recently, and it was just a matter of a couple of days before the whole thing was back to normal.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I'm not happy with the new website either, however, I do wish to defend the use of bigger fonts. From my perspective, someone paid attention to demographics. The Canadian population is aging and along with that has come a very rapid deterioration in eyesight. The use of smaller screen devices such as smart phones doesn't help. My point here is that please do not be too harsh on the company for selecting bigger fonts as a majority of AC website users do have a vision impairment that can impact on the user experience. (Just like the general population.)
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I'm not happy with the new website either, however, I do wish to defend the use of bigger fonts. From my perspective, someone paid attention to demographics. The Canadian population is aging and along with that has come a very rapid deterioration in eyesight. The use of smaller screen devices such as smart phones doesn't help. My point here is that please do not be too harsh on the company for selecting bigger fonts as a majority of AC website users do have a vision impairment that can impact on the user experience. (Just like the general population.)
While I agree that larger fonts are probably a good idea, I do think it also makes the small print even smaller by comparison...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I doubt it was done for this. I'll bet you it was done to be more mobile friendly.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Member

When I hear "software" I see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mcl...outu.be&t=3m8s
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: *$ Green
Makes sense.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Advance Passenger Information

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please take note of the error number and contact our Technical Support Desk.(APIS_GE)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: *G
Banner on the website:

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties.
Reservations (online and call centres) are temporarily unavailable for bookings or making changes to reservations.
We apologize for any inconvenience this temporary interruption in service may cause."

Maybe the AC CIO should spend more time at her job rather than taking on positions such as a new member of the Board of the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So much for Latitude fares.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Its contagious: "Booking on http://Aeroplan.com is currently unavailable. Please check back later. Thank you for your understanding."
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Its contagious: "Booking on http://Aeroplan.com is currently unavailable. Please check back later. Thank you for your understanding."
Perhaps they are getting ready to reintroduce the new web site
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Just like that, when did the website rollback?

What a farce. Sorry, I have to dump on AC for things, but this one takes the cake for the best IT fail.

What a farce... how can anyone give even constructive criticism of it and the series of events that ensued?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Backup?
At least we now know they had some sort of backup...

Did any media outlet pick up on this? Not even an official memo...glad it didn't happen again on Groundhog's Day.

Meanwhile, have a look at this Beta and while googling I found this from June 2006.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I am so inspired
Attached Images  
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
I am so inspired
Why is it only iOS that shows that warning?

It's possible you're assigning blame to the wrong entity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.