Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master thread: CIBC Aeroplan credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jubberly
excerpt

1 You will receive a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 Aeroplan Miles after you make your first purchase at any time with your card
Thanks, I will use it to buy a coffee at my school

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I do not see that on their website, is it a special offer or specific site?
Here the link: https://www.cibc.com/ca/small-busine...d-for-bus.html

Did you get it approved on the spot and is it available to non residents of Toronto? I will be traveling through in several months, maybe I will stop by to apply if the location is provided.
It should be open to all resident to Canada when you apply on-line. I had to call back to confirm my address with CIBC, and then select a branch to pick it up within 5 business days.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Which card are we all talking about here ?
Oops....my bad.I was referring to the biz CIBC aeroplan Visa
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:04 pm

Well, biz is on the site and there is no need to ask for the fees to be waived. I understood the fellow got his Infinite card that goes for $120 but if applied at YYZ its FYF. Why would anyone write about getting a card at the airport if its the same as via net.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Maybe I have a different philosophy on points.

First off, I don't earn the points you guys do. I don't fly 300k a year. I fly like 50k, so I get points wherever I can otherwise.

Just redeemed for a Christmas flight YVR-ORD (stop for a hockey game)-SCL(5 days)-MDE (3 weeks)-YVR, all business class, except BOG-YYZ, but we'll see about that. That's a flight I would NEVER pay for myself. I couldn't even really price it out but it would be at least $7000. For now...they've charged me the wrong points value, but let's say they charge me the correct 95k. 7.36cpm. I don't redeem for anything other than flights and usually my flights are experiences for me. I'm going to PHX for 1 day for a hockey game, AA was $300 so I paid, cuz the points make no sense there.

So $120 for 15,000 points, no minimum spend...even when there's minimum spend I usually can make it by just buying things I already wanted/needed. .008cpm (or is it .08) in any case, if I'm redeeming at 7cents and getting the points at < 1cent how is it not a good/decent deal?

Do I want 50,000 points for free? Of course, but that's not available to me. I take the points where I can get them as long as it's not too much effort and as long as it's not hurting me financially or whatever.

Especially in a case where, I have no CIBC products, so getting the card (at least the personal one) should be fairly easy and non-damaging. So why wouldn't I do this? Even if it's not an AMAZING deal, still makes sense.
Well, would you realistically buy a similarly priced revenue ticket for $7K?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
To get the card at YYZ, is it after security which means you have to be flying? Or if it's outside security and anyone can go to the airport, to apply.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I just got my 2nd biz card, who hoo.

Time for my wife to get her 2nd as well.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
To get the card at YYZ, is it after security which means you have to be flying? Or if it's outside security and anyone can go to the airport, to apply.
I got mine AFTER security at CIBC booth (T1 Domestic, May 2015)
They don't publicly advertise it but confirms if you ask them (after getting the tip from FT)

but I think YYZ has CIBC outside the security (arrival level?), but not sure if FYF is offered there...
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I got mine AFTER security at CIBC booth (T1 Domestic, May 2015)
They don't publicly advertise it but confirms if you ask them (after getting the tip from FT)

but I think YYZ has CIBC outside the security (arrival level?), but not sure if FYF is offered there...
We were inside security level when taking a TK flight in early Sept. Saw the CIBC booth, but did not go ask them. I guess we should've, and if they offered FYF we would've applied.

After exiting customs on the way back in late Sept., I don't recall seeing CIBC booth outside.

Heck, if they are outside and offered FYF, we'd take a special drive there, just to get that and the bonus.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yscleo
We were inside security level when taking a TK flight in early Sept. Saw the CIBC booth, but did not go ask them. I guess we should've, and if they offered FYF we would've applied.

After exiting customs on the way back in late Sept., I don't recall seeing CIBC booth outside.

Heck, if they are outside and offered FYF, we'd take a special drive there, just to get that and the bonus.
I'd do that if they were at YVR for a FYF!

Anyone seen them at YVR or in any mall or anywhere in Vancouver with a FYF upon request ?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I remember there being a booth at T1 YYZ. I had 3 hours to wait.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Isn't there a booth in YVR almost right outside the domestic MLL?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Isn't there a booth in YVR almost right outside the domestic MLL?
Is there one land-side?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:05 pm

Just to add a data point to the contrary, I was rejected for the Aerogold Biz having applied with 4+ credit applications in the past six months (perhaps that was why). When I called in to enquire, I was told my application was downgraded to a lower class of small business card. I was a new customer with CIBC if that makes a difference.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I just got my 2nd biz card, who hoo.

Time for my wife to get her 2nd as well.
Did you get an instant acceptance online for the second card? I just did a second application but it is pending - but that happened for my first one as well.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Did you get an instant acceptance online for the second card? I just did a second application but it is pending - but that happened for my first one as well.
My first one was instant online approval, card arrived in about 7 business days.
My second one was also instant approval, but this time they called me for my business registration number for my 'sole proprietorship', before finalizing the approval.
My third and last one for the season, a week ago...also instant approval. Still waiting for the card to arrive, hoping they will send it without a call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.