Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Pricing for a mixed-class itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum

Hi folks,

My parents are booking YYZ-LHR-YVR for next month; they're hoping to go Y on the outbound and PE on the return.

For the relevant dates and flights, if I search for round-trip YVR-LHR, PE shows up at $924 outbound and $1144 inbound.

If I search for one-way LHR-YVR, PE shows up at $4,096 for flexible, with the "lowest" option greyed out.

Any search for a multi-city itinerary assumes you want the same class.

So... how do I book this thing? Am I about to spend a ton of time on hold with AC?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Hi folks,

My parents are booking YYZ-LHR-YVR for next month; they're hoping to go Y on the outbound and PE on the return.

For the relevant dates and flights, if I search for round-trip YVR-LHR, PE shows up at $924 outbound and $1144 inbound.

If I search for one-way LHR-YVR, PE shows up at $4,096 for flexible, with the "lowest" option greyed out.

Any search for a multi-city itinerary assumes you want the same class.

So... how do I book this thing? Am I about to spend a ton of time on hold with AC?

I spoke with an agent last week about doing PY in one direction and J in the other. It is best done with an agent. Also, the most restrictive of the 2 fare rules apply. He told me that doing 2 one-ways will cost a fortune as international routes are based on return prices unlike Dom/TB.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Saturday night stay requirement still in effect for int'l one ways (hence you need a return trip booking that includes a Sat night stay) that are non FP based? I believe so.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to book a multi-city (thus satisfying the Sat night stay) and then up-fare the LHR-YVR leg?

...or will that up-fare be based on the artificially-inflated one-way price?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My understanding is that some fares allow different cabins in each direction, others don't.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My understanding is that some fares allow different cabins in each direction, others don't.
That may be so, but this screams AC IT issue to me as I can price out the opposite of what yvrgary wants no problem - can combine PE lowest with any fare class, from Tango to business flexible, on the way back. The problem seems to arise only if selecting PE on the outbound.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
That may be so, but this screams AC IT issue to me as I can price out the opposite of what yvrgary wants no problem - can combine PE lowest with any fare class, from Tango to business flexible, on the way back. The problem seems to arise only if selecting PE on the outbound.
I'm trying to do PE on the inbound.

YYZ-LHR in Y
LHR-YVR in PE
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:22 pm

I think prob is its not a YYZ or YVR - LHR return. Trying to finish in YVR is the challenge.
I just combined PY from YYZ to ATH with a stopover in LHR and P on the return to take advantage of the discount P fares ex-Canada but which (now) dont allow a stopover in LHR.
Starting in YYZ and ending in YVR will be tricky.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maserati
I think prob is its not a YYZ or YVR - LHR return. Trying to finish in YVR is the challenge.
I just combined PY from YYZ to ATH with a stopover in LHR and P on the return to take advantage of the discount P fares ex-Canada but which (now) dont allow a stopover in LHR.
Starting in YYZ and ending in YVR will be tricky.
Well, dad's starting at YVR, with a stopover of several days in Toronto...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

If it prices out on matrix, you're generally good. Use advanced routing codes to specify the PE booking class on the outbound: /f bc=n if n is the PE booking class.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yvrgary
I'm trying to do PE on the inbound.

YYZ-LHR in Y
LHR-YVR in PE
I know, what I was saying is that if I could book it the other way around, surely mixing the two types should be allowed under the fare rules and that it's more likely an AC IT glitch.

Although actually right now it won't let me book PE lowest on LHR-YVR even if selecting PE lowest on YYZ-LHR.

So, pretty sure there's something wrong with AC.com's multi-city pricing on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.