Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Agents refusing to wear their name tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agents refusing to wear their name tags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by 24left
Regarding FAs, I've had a few chats with a few about wearing tags with their names, why some do, some don't, and why others just have one that says "Flight Attendant".

While there may be other reasons, the main one I've heard was harassment from pax, and this seems to have been a serious problem on more than one occasion. This is extremely unfortunate because these individuals really like their profession. I imagine it is not much fun to go to work wondering who the next idiot they encounter might be.
Sadly this is a more common occurrence that many here would believe or even acknowledge.

There are too many male flyers (frequent and otherwise) that seem to this it's okay to get grabby and touchy feely with some of the flight attendants. I have heard more than a few complaints from some regarding how they feel after such an occurrence.

Sadly, many FA's feel powerless to do anything, because in many cases the douche bag is a SE, for ExxK, MM, etc and feel that the company will not do much about this because the FA feels (rightly or wrongly is of no consequence here) the company position is not to do anything because the copany does not want to give a traveler a reason to fly another airlines, and/or the FA does not want to be perceived as being a complainer trouble maker.

Having said that, I have also seen some very confident FA's give a really good (and highly intelligent) tongue lashing to these douche bags in such a way that the perp isn't quite sure if they've been told off or not. ^ I lol'd pretty loudly when I saw that.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by jaysona
Sadly this is a more common occurrence that many here would believe or even acknowledge.

There are too many male flyers (frequent and otherwise) that seem to this it's okay to get grabby and touchy feely with some of the flight attendants. I have heard more than a few complaints from some regarding how they feel after such an occurrence.

Sadly, many FA's feel powerless to do anything, because in many cases the douche bag is a SE, for ExxK, MM, etc and feel that the company will not do much about this because the FA feels (rightly or wrongly is of no consequence here) the company position is not to do anything because the copany does not want to give a traveler a reason to fly another airlines, and/or the FA does not want to be perceived as being a complainer trouble maker.

Having said that, I have also seen some very confident FA's give a really good (and highly intelligent) tongue lashing to these douche bags in such a way that the perp isn't quite sure if they've been told off or not. ^ I lol'd pretty loudly when I saw that.
Harassment doesn't come from wearing a name tag. And even if it did there are ways to ensure employee privacy and still wear one.

FA's (and ground staff) have a lot more power than you think when dealing with unruly pax and the airline will always back its employees in such situations. AC has banned top tier members before for abusing contract staff at outstations, never mind permanent mainline employees

I've seen very highly compliance with flight crew wearing name tags (and I'm sure some can put out outliers). This thread is more about the large discrepancy of ground staff not wearing their brevets and/or refusing to give their name when asked. All of which is against AC's current regulations.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 14, 2015 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I know that, in my case, wearing your name tag is "mandatory", but I still didn't do it at times (even when I was in charge of enforcing it too).

But even when some of my employees didn't wear name tags, it had 0 effect of accountability. If a customer had any problem or concern, the employee related to the encounter/transaction could be identified in 30 seconds tops.
That's so true. In a past life I managed the front line of a major downtown bank. On payday Friday's (ususally casual day) the staff would all throw their name tags into a drawer and then draw out a random one to wear for the day. It was quite comical to see Dan wearing Kelsey's name tag but to be honest, only a few people/customers would notice.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona

So how does not wearing a name tag prevent that?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm confused as to why this is considered new news? You all know that the no-name nametags have been worn by many levels of front-line staff ever since the wheel was invented...!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:23 am
Suspended

They should just have everyone pick an alias and put that on the tag. Protect privacy and not generate friction like this.

China, happens all the time as people pick a western name in hotels, etc.

Of course we're used to it with Indian call center agents.

In Thailand people will sometimes use their nickname. Relatively sure that this girl was not named "Apple" and that one is not "Poo". Well maybe on the poo.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by nihonto
They should just have everyone pick an alias and put that on the tag. Protect privacy and not generate friction like this.

In Thailand people will sometimes use their nickname. Relatively sure that this girl was not named "Apple" and that one is not "Poo". Well maybe on the poo.
Kermie thee frog
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I then asked her how would one be able identify who you are, and she replied ''that's exactly why we don't wear them anymore!'', so I then asked her for Agent ID which she reluctantly showed, as I later found out they have to have with them at all times in the airport and show on demand.

Nothing much to add to the nametag conversation, but I thought I'd explain this fwiw.

As an airport employee (I'm 99% sure these rules are nationwide at all A class airports) you have to have your RAIC (Restricted Area Identity Card) not only on your person, but on display, above the waist on your outer layer. Now in practice, this is not only impractical, but many employees don't do this. I know I never did as a baggage handler having it on your outer layer it constantly gets caught on bags and in the way. Anyone is allowed to challenge you to see your pass. But, these rules ONLY apply to the secure area. Meaning a check-in agent, has no obligation to show you anything. A gate agent does though.

Transport Canada does spot checks on these as well, to the point where they will wait right on the other side of the secure doors and immediately catch you if you put your pass away. It serves a purpose, but it's rather annoying, they'll then give you a ticket after a few you get a suspension and there's always a possibility they have your RAIC revoked.

If we (airport employees) find someone without a RAIC displayed we are supposed to challenge them and Transport Canada (apparently) does checks on this as well and failure to challenge them after an interaction would result in the same tickets.

There's multiple types of passes as well that have more/different restrictions but I won't bore anyone with those unless they ask.

My point is, don't get all high and mighty demanding to see someone's badge if you aren't in the position to have the right to do so. (not saying that's what the OP did, just giving a fair warning)
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by nihonto

I worked with a woman once. Her name was Suk Yung Kum and she picked "Zita" (pronounced Zit-Ah) as her western name. I could never figure that one out.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
It is my understanding that in China they pick a western name in English class in school.
Some Chinese names have common English "translations" but sometimes they try to use a literal translation and end up with a strange sounding English name (I met someone named Cloud East once).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mendy7511
It is my understanding that in China they pick a western name in English class in school.
Some Chinese names have common English "translations" but sometimes they try to use a literal translation and end up with a strange sounding English name (I met someone named Cloud East once).
Not only China, but many other SE Asian cultures. Sometimes the seemingly "interesting" names stem from immigration paperwork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.