Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[IN FLIGHT] Shaves on a Plane; the Hall of Shame for passengers behaving badly on AC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
....Quite the rant indeed. But didn't answer the question. It merely implies that people who wear scents you might not like are "idiots", "self-absorbed" and "clueless".

But are they?
Well, I try to make my rants worth a rating or two.

The world has changed. Some people have allergies, some people just can't stand the smells, others just find the idea of overpowering scent and smells in a sealed tube at FL390 for 12, or 16 or 2 hours to be uncomfortable. There doesn't need to be a reason.

If many public buildings, private offices and others choose to have a scent-free policy, it is because it bothers enough people and is relatively easy to implement. Hotels have rooms that are scent free.

And to be clear, the planet is full of a monumental number of clueless and/or self-absorbed. They only care about themselves and it matters not to them if their choices have a negative impact on others. While this could be said about a whole range of topics, I am not the only one who would prefer aircraft cabins be free of people who choose to bathe in perfumes.

And I say this to that guy who was in 6D, upon arrival after 12+ hours, decided we all needed to get a whiff of his cologne.

Perhaps I should send a formal letter to Air Canada. I'll let the more rabid types file complaints....or call the CBC
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The lady doth protest too much methinks.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
The lady doth protest too much methinks.
Are you trying to imply that she subjects fellow passengers to overpowering scents? As urban dictionary says about the quote, "Overly insistent about something, to the point where the opposite is most likely true." I very much doubt that, though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting 24left in person. Most folks who get upset about scents are very careful not to use scented products.

I would be very upset if I were stuck sitting next to somebody who smelled like they had bathed in perfume, let alone applying it in flight. I can't imagine my reaction to someone using a bottle of nail polish in flight. That stuff reeks. Perfume is made to cover up bad hygiene. People should just wash.

Last edited by smallmj; Sep 30, 2018 at 6:29 am Reason: Changed to generalize last comment. Didn't mean to direct it at any specific person.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by smallmj
Just wash.
if you spend any amount of time near the equator, and especially where humidity runs near 100% all the time like here in Singapore this week, even showering twice a day won’t overcome outside conditions.

AC flies to plenty of places where your definition of hygiene is just plain quaint + I routinely do +20 hour journeys and where possible I might get a shower done in between, but I can afford business class to get to shower, and not everyone are in these circumstances.

PS… Check out history of perfume as people believed the bathing too much was not a good thing
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:53 am

I think some may be missing the giveaways “ reek” “bathed in” etc. There are indeed passengers who dispense complementary (or even their own) aftershaves/ scents so liberally as to make their fellow passengers uncomfortable. Consideration for others is never a bad thing especially in close quarters. And that includes noise and bodily odors...
24left likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I was at a conference last week, and walking through the exhibit hall, I said to my colleague "someone nearby is staying at the Marriott". The basic scent program of some hotels is so consistent, and the scents from the free toiletries is so persistent, that all it takes is to shower and shampoo in the morning and I can smell you at 3:00 p.m. from ten paces. This isn't add-on "splash me so I smell pretty" product. It's body wash and shampoo. That said, I like the Marriott scent, and Hilton, and others. I am not sickened by scents (generally - am recovering from two years of anosmia when I would have given my hind leg to smell anything). But if I can smell you, someone that is sickened can smell you. Given that many people on an aircraft started their day away from home in a hotel, maybe the complaint is with the hotels. The hotel I just stayed at had pleasant toiletries with no staying power to the scent at all.
skybluesea, wrp96 and smallmj like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:26 am
Suspended

Are you trying to imply that she subjects fellow passengers to overpowering scents? As urban dictionary says about the quote, "Overly insistent about something, to the point where the opposite is most likely true." I very much doubt that, though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting 24left in person. Most folks who get upset about scents are very careful not to use scented products.

I would be very upset if I were stuck sitting next to somebody who smelled like they had bathed in perfume, let alone applying it in flight. I can't imagine my reaction to someone using a bottle of nail polish in flight. That stuff reeks. Perfume is made to cover up bad hygiene. People should just wash.
I think CZAMflyer just doesn't agree with my intense dislike of perfumes etc onboard an aircraft. I am certainly not the only one. I've had a few "exuberant" posts and well, it clearly matters to me more than others.

The car service I used told me that they have a growing list of customers who have requested scent-free cars and drivers. It seems those of us who requested this don't want drivers smelling of cigarettes or heavy colognes - perhaps related to your point about covering up bad hygiene.

Anyway, AC should be smart enough to realize that not all pax understand the concept of a delicate scent or application. I don't mind someone who smells nice when I am close-up and personal, but the entire cabin does not need to bathe in it.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 30, 2018 at 7:51 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
My sense of smell became dull after having worked a decade in processing plants that used H2S. But if I can smell your scent, it is too strong for the average population.

More and more places have scent-free policies now, people just need to progress with the times and stop living in the 80s.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It merely implies that people who wear scents you might not like are "idiots", "self-absorbed" and "clueless".

But are they?
Yes.

And any scent BTW. Not a matter of liking or not.
smallmj and RangerNS like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by shadowspar
Even without a no-scent policy, not bringing out the nail polish (or remover) in an enclosed space should be common sense.
The problem is this: there is a finite amount of common sense in the world. As the population increases on an exponential scale the amount of common sense per person diminishes exponentially. Added to that is the phenomenon that it isn’t uniformly distributed.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
While I hate having to smell this stuff, I've been reading this topic for the last 24 hours, and I can't come up with a reasonable argument.

"I don't like it" is not reasonable.

And that seems to be the main argument here.
skybluesea, wrp96 and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

"I don't like it" is not reasonable.
Same for fart, right?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Same for fart, right?
Big difference between " I don't like it" and "Nobody likes it".
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I have flown with (sat next to) @24left and AFAICT, I did not smell anything.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad

I have flown with (sat next to) @24left and AFAICT, I did not smell anything.
I'm just waiting for those with whom I exchanged hugs at the recent YQB Do to report in.

Meanwhile, we seem to have a bit of broken telephone going on here.

Anyway, back OT....

We all know pax behaving badly, shaving on a plane, clipping toe nails on a plane, flying naked (waiting for one of those to show up on AC), and such are part of what goes on up there. I'm sure we can agree it could be annoying at best, offensive or cause a diversion at worst. Thankfully I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I have not been responsible for any of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.