Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching seats during a flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Your point is well taken and I can't disagree. A benefit provided to an employee for a business purpose shouldn't be appropriated for the benefit of the employee's family instead. I think where we diverge is your characterization of it as stealing. It's unacceptable and depending on the exact situation could be grounds for dismissal, but it's not a criminal matter. Mostly semantics I know, but this is probably where most people felt your language was a little strong.
Stealing used loosely. I think it's worse than someone swiping a chocolate bar at 711, but I am not a judge or lawyer. But my opinion as an employer has been given. I would not call the police, to be sure. But upon a second offense it might well be grounds for dismissal and clawback of the fare.

I did qualify my final reply by stating that the poster ought to clear it with their employer.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Forgot about this post, just came across it and I thought I would chime in.

On the flight home, I asked the SD about switching. He told me "No problem" but please do it after the first service. We did so and the crew were very nice to my wife after we switched.
Now, I can't believe the discussion here about stealing. Certainly there are habits that could constitute bad behaviour but each situation is different. BTW it was discussed with my boss (CEO) and there was no concern. I was not seeking approval.
Secondly, if people feel that this is stealing, then do you feel that accumulating FF points and using them for personal travel is stealing? Should you not use them (earned from business flights) to book company trips saving the company money? Would you fire someone if they did this? If they bought a toaster with AP points, they essentially bought the toaster with company funds. Fire them? Do you give your lounge passes to staff that do not qualify (I actually do)?
The rare perk of having a spouse fly one leg should not be an issue with a company that looks at the big picture and understands what makes their employees happy. They know that my wife has to take care of the kids on her own several (several) times a year because I have to travel. They know the family eats dinner without me at times because I have work events to go to in the evenings. We're all adults, we trust each other to do the right thing.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allvest
Next iteration will be to sell their J seat ... To a colleague or stranger. Even by giving it to the wise or GF no doubt there is "consideration" involved
Missed this one. Consideration? Seriously? Is that what you think is needed to get lucky? How about just being considerate. Sad.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvr2011
Forgot about this post, just came across it and I thought I would chime in.

On the flight home, I asked the SD about switching. He told me "No problem" but please do it after the first service. We did so and the crew were very nice to my wife after we switched.
Now, I can't believe the discussion here about stealing. Certainly there are habits that could constitute bad behaviour but each situation is different. BTW it was discussed with my boss (CEO) and there was no concern. I was not seeking approval.
Secondly, if people feel that this is stealing, then do you feel that accumulating FF points and using them for personal travel is stealing? Should you not use them (earned from business flights) to book company trips saving the company money? Would you fire someone if they did this? If they bought a toaster with AP points, they essentially bought the toaster with company funds. Fire them? Do you give your lounge passes to staff that do not qualify (I actually do)?
The rare perk of having a spouse fly one leg should not be an issue with a company that looks at the big picture and understands what makes their employees happy. They know that my wife has to take care of the kids on her own several (several) times a year because I have to travel. They know the family eats dinner without me at times because I have work events to go to in the evenings. We're all adults, we trust each other to do the right thing.
If I fly an employee in J it is for a reason. If they give away their seat they might never fly J again. If their J swap has adverse effects on their performance they might be dismissed with cause.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvr2011
Missed this one. Consideration? Seriously? Is that what you think is needed to get lucky? How about just being considerate. Sad.
I don't think so. But lots of posters on FT mention they would be in the dog house if they didn't offer to give up the J seat for their better half. So don't look at me. I don't give my J seat to my wife. She usually has her own and if not she is small enough to fit in a Y seat. I am not. (Tall not fat)
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: *$ Green
Consideration for getting laid? Preposterous.

My wife is lucky I lay down the pipe on her.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allvest
I don't think so. But lots of posters on FT mention they would be in the dog house if they didn't offer to give up the J seat for their better half. So don't look at me. I don't give my J seat to my wife. She usually has her own and if not she is small enough to fit in a Y seat. I am not. (Tall not fat)
Hah. That DOES come up a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.