Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancelling 2nd leg after 1st leg, is there a penalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling 2nd leg after 1st leg, is there a penalty?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abari
Do they still let you accumulate status miles on the portion flown? I can't see them going after people in court but i could see them docking the FF points or status.
Never heard of that being an issue.

On one occasion, I filed a complaint with customer solution, on an issue serious enough that I would have a solid case if I would formally complain, based upon tariffs.

I got a call at 8 am the next morning. Offering me possible compensation. In the conversation, while they were searching what they could offer me, it became clear to me that had had my entire (at least recent) history, including a few cases where I had skipped the last leg. (And no, they did not attempt to bother me about these. More like, seeing if they could offer me free changes or stuff like that.)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
This. This. This.
Depends how you book it.

If you search YVR-YOW on the website, pick an option that stops in YYZ, and book that, then maybe they could reroute you on a nonstop.

However, if you call in, and say you want to fly YVR-YYZ and YYZ-YOW, it will be the exact same fare, except now you've made it explicitly clear that you want YYZ.

This discussion came up in at least one of the EYW threads. I'm flying YYJ-YVR-YEG-YYC-YQR next Saturday on a YYJ-YQR fare. But I didn't call in and ask for YYJ-YQR, I asked for AC 8056 YYJ-YVR in G class, AC 236 YVR-YEG in G class, AC 8147 YEG-YYC in G class, and AC 8434 YYC-YQR in G class.

They cannot make the assumption that I want to fly YYJ-YQR (I suppose they could route it YYJ-YVR-YQR or YYJ-YYC-YQR, I'm not sure if there are other options), because it's not what I asked for.

And I highly doubt the airport agents looking at your file are going to know what you asked for. So if they try to reroute you more directly and you don't want that, then tell them you're leaving a package in your hidden city for someone. That's also a real scenario I've had (flying YVR-YYZ-YOW where I was short-checking bags to YYZ because I wanted to leave them there).

Not that I would publicly condone hidden city ticketing. But as someone who flies primarily flight passes and Aeroplan, I'm not even saving money by doing it, so I have no reason to.

Originally Posted by abari
Do they still let you accumulate status miles on the portion flown? I can't see them going after people in court but i could see them docking the FF points or status.
I've never heard of them not awarding you miles for flights you've taken.

But there's nothing to stop them from canceling your status, sending you a bill for the money you "saved", and not letting you fly until you pay it, etc. Although I think you'd have to do this a LOT for them to even notice.

As for whether anything would hold up in court, that's another matter. But I'm pretty sure the Altitude terms give them the right to revoke your status for "any reason".
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
One risk which is not always mentioned is if the ticket you purchased is a through fare YVR-BBB (with a connection in AAA), you always run the risk of being involuntarily rerouted YVR-BBB nonstop or YVR-CCC-BBB. They have no obligation to ever get you to AAA.
Of course, this can be solved by booking a flight such that BBB is only serviced from AAA.
(admittedly, this scenario is very rare.)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
As for whether anything would hold up in court, that's another matter. But I'm pretty sure the Altitude terms give them the right to revoke your status for "any reason".
and this could also be solved/have much less risk by crediting to other *A.
(i.e. I have done similar on exEU tickets on BA, but credited these to AA.)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:51 pm

Related query: 3 FF segments; when to ditch 2nd/3rd

Don't want to start a new thread as this has clearly been asked -- but am traveling in biz on FF miles using partner airlines -- have VA from SFO-LHR and then Alitalia LHR-FCO-Verona. (Returning on a different, purchased ticket.)

Since arrival is late after a LONG day of flying I found an alternate flight on Germanwings from LHR (via Cologne) to Venice (where I want to go anyway) that gets in in 2 hours earlier.

Is there a good time to ditch the second and third segments/to alert airline? It seems choices are not show up or tell them at airport or cancel in advance.

In some ways it could be helpful to keep it until safely on the GW flight in case GW flakes, but that is only a marginal consideration.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.