Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cancelling 2nd leg after 1st leg, is there a penalty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.

I am finding a better deal connecting in another city than going directly from YVR... would there be any issues/penalty if I booked a flight YVR-AAA-BBB, and then cancelling after I land in AAA, just with a carryon?

I won't be asking for a refund or anything of the additional legs, but wanna make sure I don't get into trouble.

Last edited by alexbc; Jun 5, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
This is called 'Hidden City' ticketing, and is against the T&Cs of sale.

Having said that, there are many reports of doing exactly what you propose without consequence. Most people say that as long as you don't make it a habit, AC won't follow up.

There are quite a few threads about this issue, try searching for Hidden City.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, should I then tell em, or just don't show up? I searched but not much for Air Canada.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
You can do either. There are some that advocate telling them that you won't need the flight as you leave the airport, simply to save them the trouble of paging you and no-showing you at the gate.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
You can do either. There are some that advocate telling them that you won't need the flight as you leave the airport, simply to save them the trouble of paging you and no-showing you at the gate.
Ok, thanks, I might do that. I am between doing this or just points
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
There is nothing good that can come out of you telling them.
Why risk some agent trying to collect change fees, etc, and flagging the reservation for hidden city ticketing.

Just leave the airport.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:03 pm

basis of www.skiplagged.com

You're fine with just a carry-on
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
This is called 'Hidden City' ticketing, and is against the T&Cs of sale.

Having said that, there are many reports of doing exactly what you propose without consequence. Most people say that as long as you don't make it a habit, AC won't follow up.
There is zero evidence that AC has ever gone after even people who make it a habit.

Some evidence of some airlines having gone after some TAs.

This is like a supermarket telling you, I'll lower the price of your apples by 10% if you also get some free bananas. But you must eat the bananas. You think they would win in court? So since the airlines are no fools, they make sure it never goes to court.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Make sure it isn't a return flight, as the rest of your legs will be cancelled.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You might just stop by the gate of the second flight and tell the GA you've had a change of plans and can't take the flight. That would allow the GA to help out a standby pax sooner.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:15 pm

At AAA you could OLCI and cancel checkin for your second segment.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
One risk which is not always mentioned is if the ticket you purchased is a through fare YVR-BBB (with a connection in AAA), you always run the risk of being involuntarily rerouted YVR-BBB nonstop or YVR-CCC-BBB. They have no obligation to ever get you to AAA.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I always let AC customer service know when doing this. I normally walk by them while leaving the airport. I once found a fare where I netted out 70% less doing this.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by D582
One risk which is not always mentioned is if the ticket you purchased is a through fare YVR-BBB (with a connection in AAA), you always run the risk of being involuntarily rerouted YVR-BBB nonstop or YVR-CCC-BBB. They have no obligation to ever get you to AAA.
This. This. This.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
There is zero evidence that AC has ever gone after even people who make it a habit.

Some evidence of some airlines having gone after some TAs.
Do they still let you accumulate status miles on the portion flown? I can't see them going after people in court but i could see them docking the FF points or status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.