Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Transborder Connections: Over a decade later and still a mess

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYC Transborder Connections: Over a decade later and still a mess

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Considering the oil boom is effectively over and the inevitable up-coming contraction in Alberta's economy, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed back the terminal opening.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by hearna
Then I pitty you will have to go through with a long unorganized line to security (Getting to the priority entrance can be incredibly difficult; especially at peak); a complete lack of security staff, especially at peak; little to no offerings post security; probably the worst and most overcrowded MLL in the network...

I could go on; but don't want to completely ruin all the fun surprises that await @YYC
I would say most complaints about YYC are a bit overblown, but THIS is totally accurate lol. I transit through YYC every couple of weeks, luckily just dom-dom so it's kinda painless. But the other day I had a long wait due to my connector being 1:20 late. I was hoping to eat somewhere other than Chili's or Timmies so I started to walk out to the public side, as their website indicated there was some other food options. This was around 16:30 on a Tuesday...all security lines open, all full, totally at capacity lineup out the door and seemingly no fast track like YVR, or if there is, it's not fast lol. I decided I'd be better off staying on the secure side .

The MLL is a minor issue but it's getting better, also the one time my YMM-YCC flight landed and parked way out in the sticks, that kinda sucked I don't mind walking, even if it's long range, but it seemed REALLY far and my connection time was a bit short so I was kinda stressing. First and only time I've ever parked out there.

For a 2 hour trip to YYC, honestly you'll be fine, you might be a bit held up getting back out, but it's nothing a seasoned pro can't deal with.

In the end it's not a good airport currently, it CAN be totally fine if you're there at the right time of day, but with the amount of PAX the place has grown to, coupled with the amount of weather delays and issues it suffers, the airport should be much bigger and hopefully the new terminal gets that done. I honestly don't know anything about the WS side, never flown them there, but the AC side is pretty damn crowded and there's seemingly lots of terminal that's not used.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by gesmith10
I went through there last summer to grab a flight to LHR I was surprised how overcrowded and antiquated the whole terminal is. Kind of like LGA but with less space at the gates and without the quirky advantages at LGA due to the old configuration like fast security lines.
The LHR and FRA flights go out within minutes of each other; so that entire corner of the airport becomes a sea of chaos.

The kicker is the YOW flight (one I usually take) is parked right next to it; to even get to the gate can be a challenge.

Then I pitty you will have to go through with a long unorganized line to security (Getting to the priority entrance can be incredibly difficult; especially at peak); a complete lack of security staff, especially at peak; little to no offerings post security; probably the worst and most overcrowded MLL in the network...
Please upgradsecret; point out the hyperboles; what is non factual in the above?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
If the airport is badly managed a new terminal won't necessarily work well.
We can but hope (and wait)
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dorian
I would have walked straight up and dropped my bag 1000%.

Even at YYZ I blow past the door minder wanting to check BP's for short connections or re-bookings. A couple times I've said "no English" and ripped through the doors, dropped my bag and I'm gone.
You are my hero. I am doing that next time. Except I will say "no Engrish".
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I honestly don't know anything about the WS side, never flown them there, but the AC side is pretty damn crowded and there's seemingly lots of terminal that's not used.
The WS side has a lot less passengers, and a lot less frequent fliers.

The Nexus security line is empty.

The priority security line is empty.

The terminal is more spacious than the AC side (WS side has moving side-walks).

The Servisair lounge is cavernous and usually very empty.

The clientèle over there, however, are clearly lower social-economic status than on the AC side.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The new terminal is long overdue.

Apart from the OP comments which I am sure are true, these are the other issues I have at YYC:

1) Terrible security line waits on the domestic and US side. (this prompted me to get NEXUS so we will see how that works out)

2) Awful waiting areas and restaurant choices on the US pre-cleared side.

3) Cramped AC domestic waiting areas, (at peak times) and very pathetic AC LHR and FRA departure gates.

4) One of the worst baggage delivery wait times especially on int arrivals. (Almost rivalling the wait times I have to endure at YYZ)
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by DavidYYC

Apart from the OP comments which I am sure are true, these are the other issues I have at YYC:

1) Terrible security line waits on the domestic and US side. (this prompted me to get NEXUS so we will see how that works out)

2) Awful waiting areas and restaurant choices on the US pre-cleared side.

3) Cramped AC domestic waiting areas, (at peak times) and very pathetic AC LHR and FRA departure gates.

4) One of the worst baggage delivery wait times especially on int arrivals. (Almost rivalling the wait times I have to endure at YYZ)
I am overjoyed whenever the dividers in the transborder side allow access to the Jugo Juice. Otherwise it's a crappy diner, burger king, or timmy's.

Oh, and Starbucks.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I am overjoyed whenever the dividers in the transborder side allow access to the Jugo Juice. Otherwise it's a crappy diner, burger king, or timmy's.

Oh, and Starbucks.

All the basic food groups.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
All the basic food groups.
Coffee. Alcohol. Fries. and Coffee.

Statement checks out. Please continue.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Coffee. Alcohol. Fries. and Coffee.

Statement checks out. Please continue.

Adding these Basic Food Groups from the Lounge Food thread (just in case YYC wants to improve things):

Originally Posted by PLeblond
That's funny. Mine are cheese and gravy.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That's interesting. My two fav veggies were gin and tonic.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yeah, this. Don't hold your breath on Nexus helping you with this. The brilliant minds here routinely send non-Nexus holders through the Nexus line to keep all their lines "equal". I have lost count of the number of times I am behind the first-time traveler with her dozen containers of yogurt, or loveable gramma and gramps who have no clue what to take off and what to keep on, or the 15-person school group with the two chaperones shouting instructions. I once actually sent them an email with some "suggestions for improvement" and got a useless phone call back from someone in CATSA who spent the next 15 minutes blaming everyone else. I posted about the sordid details here on FT but I can't find the link easily on my iPad. Anyway that phone call was precious minutes of my life that I'll never get back! I just go in now prepared to be stuck behind an infrequent traveler in the line that is supposed to be for frequent travellers (go figure!)

Edited to add the link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...rity-line.html. My story is post #30.

Last edited by catgirl; Feb 4, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:24 am

Did 3 trans border flights through YYC , total gong show. Spent a night on one of them in YYC due to missed connection.

The common repeated comment ( tongue in cheek) those of us caught in the mess was " but it will all be fixed in 2016 "

it remains an embarrassing joke as far as an airport when it comes to trying to transit through.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by catgirl
I just go in now prepared to be stuck behind an infrequent traveler in the line that is supposed to be for frequent travellers (go figure!)
As was pointed out to me by FT, I thought I'd share. NEXUS is a line meant for pre approved low risk travelers, not frequent travelers. However, I do completely agree with you. Either a) jack up the price for NEXUS or b) require those who have it (at least for air travel) to fly X segments per year. The fact that one only has to pay $50 is not enough. I, as you write in your post, feel the same way about those who have NEXUS slowing down the whole line. Infuriates me. I don't use this emoticon much, but comes to mind.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
As was pointed out to me by FT, I thought I'd share. NEXUS is a line meant for pre approved low risk travelers, not frequent travelers. However, I do completely agree with you. Either a) jack up the price for NEXUS or b) require those who have it (at least for air travel) to fly X segments per year. The fact that one only has to pay $50 is not enough. I, as you write in your post, feel the same way about those who have NEXUS slowing down the whole line. Infuriates me. I don't use this emoticon much, but comes to mind.
Issue is not infrequent Nexus travelers, but that the CATSA people send non-Nexus folks to the Nexus line.

While on one hand I understand that there is no point in having one of the stations idle while the others have a line up, the proper way to handle this would be to have Nexus holders cutting in front of non-Nexus folks sent by CATSA to that line.

Not sure why apparently no one has come up with that simple idea.

Not totally convinced we need our own Taj Mahal, a la YVR or YYZ, just for the sake of half a dozen FFs from north of Red Deer.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 5, 2015 at 10:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.