Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Transborder Connections: Over a decade later and still a mess

Old Feb 4, 15, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

(The mods didn't care for me resurrecting an old thread about this issue, although it does speak to how long YYC has allowed the idiocy to continue. Always wanting to be a cooperative flyertalker, I have created this new thread to vent with the original post below.)

Did a TB-dom connection at YYC yesterday for the first time in years... I was shocked to see how disgracefully dysfunctional the process still was. YYZ has really straightened the process out, why can't Calgary?

By far the worst part of the process is once you retrieve your bags from the TB flight, you are forced into a lineup where you really can't get around the pax talking to agents so that you can put your bags on the belt for the onward flight. Dozens of people were standing there needlessly and waiting while a family was busy rescheduling their flight to Grande Prairie or whatever... why not let people put their tagged bags on the belt and move on without forcing them to wait until all the worst case scenarios ahead of them were resolved?

Not surprisingly people started to boil over as the wait time grew and grew and people edged closer to missing their connections. Eventually everyone charged ahead and started dumping their bags on the belt. An AC agent meekly protested, telling everyone to "wait because we're helping others". Wouldn't it be easier to help those others if everyone else whose connection wasn't screwed up got out of the way instead? I can handle going through security a second time, but this needless lineup is just nuts.

The whole setup seemed like it was 2 days old and they were just working out the kinks, but apparently it has been going on for years. It's too bad because in all other facets YYC delivers a pleasant experience... I feel bad for pax in Alberta who have to put up with this garbage regularly. Give me a US connection at ORD or DEN any day over this mess.
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:23 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I would have walked straight up and dropped my bag 1000%.

Even at YYZ I blow past the door minder wanting to check BP's for short connections or re-bookings. A couple times I've said "no English" and ripped through the doors, dropped my bag and I'm gone.
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Dorian View Post

Even at YYZ I blow past the door minder wanting to check BP's for short connections or re-bookings. A couple times I've said "no English" and ripped through the doors, dropped my bag and I'm gone.
I had this same jacka$$ stop me from skipping a line a few days ago because I had no bags to check and a tight connection due to weather delays in Toronto. I simply turned around and went around when he seen me not get in the queue he started yelling out to which I simply ignored.

An AC agent has no authority in airport ops; keep the power trip to your self

On to YYC... you think the trans border process is a mess at YYC?? That whole airport is the worst piece of garbage in the entire country, it cannot even function mid day on a Wednesday in the shoulder season let alone handle anything even near peak traffic.
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:32 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by hearna View Post
On to YYC... you think the trans border process is a mess at YYC?? That whole airport is the worst piece of garbage in the entire country, it cannot even function mid day on a Wednesday in the shoulder season let alone handle anything even near peak traffic.
Just great...I'm going in to YYC for two hours tomorrow, from YVR.
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:41 am

Then I pitty you will have to go through with a long unorganized line to security (Getting to the priority entrance can be incredibly difficult; especially at peak); a complete lack of security staff, especially at peak; little to no offerings post security; probably the worst and most overcrowded MLL in the network...

I could go on; but don't want to completely ruin all the fun surprises that await @YYC
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian View Post

^

Lesson learned. Next time at YYC I will overcome my Canadian tendency to line up and it's just straight to the belt with my tagged luggage.

I would expect this at a smaller airport like YWG where not that many people do int/TB-domestic, but it is shocking for a "big" airport like YYC where every day there are widebodies disgorging people from the US and abroad and connecting to Canadian destinations.
Old Feb 4, 15, 10:48 am

Then I pitty you will have to go through with a long unorganized line to security (Getting to the priority entrance can be incredibly difficult; especially at peak); a complete lack of security staff, especially at peak; little to no offerings post security; probably the worst and most overcrowded MLL in the network...

I could go on; but don't want to completely ruin all the fun surprises that await @YYC
I'm there once a year at best...so don't recall much about it.
Now I'm thinking I should SDC to a later return.
Old Feb 4, 15, 11:01 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Not sure why this is threadworthy when a new Intl/TB terminal is around the corner, ETA in about a year.

From the YYC website:

The Calgary Airport Authority has introduced a number of additional elements that are being incorporated into the Airport Development Program. The first being new connection processes that will create a seamless experience for the millions of travellers that visit YYC each year. YYC’s connection processes will allow passengers to connect easily from international, transborder and domestic, while remaining post-security and without having to pick up and recheck their bags.
Old Feb 4, 15, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Not sure why this is threadworthy when a new Intl/TB terminal is around the corner, ETA in about a year.

From the YYC website:

The Calgary Airport Authority has introduced a number of additional elements that are being incorporated into the Airport Development Program. The first being new connection processes that will create a seamless experience for the millions of travellers that visit YYC each year. YYC’s connection processes will allow passengers to connect easily from international, transborder and domestic, while remaining post-security and without having to pick up and recheck their bags.
Whats your point? This crap has been going on for years and customers have had to endure it. The customer experience at YYC is dreary at best; the kind of experience you would expect in a 3rd world country.

When you consider the AIF fees charged at this airport are the second highest in the country, where other airports bigger and smaller that have been renovated to modern standards for years charge less; I find this to be appalling at best!
Old Feb 4, 15, 12:02 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Whats your point? This crap has been going on for years and customers have had to endure it. The customer experience at YYC is dreary at best; the kind of experience you would expect in a 3rd world country.

When you consider the AIF fees charged at this airport are the second highest in the country, where other airports bigger and smaller that have been renovated to modern standards for years charge less; I find this to be appalling at best!
What's YOUR point? Change is around the corner. Where do you think the AIF is going?

Moaning about a process that is going to change soon is pointless.
Old Feb 4, 15, 12:21 pm

From the YYC website:

Well, I think the point is that this is still going on...and will be for another year....?

Assuming one knew about it.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 4, 15 at 3:32 pm
Old Feb 4, 15, 12:27 pm

What's YOUR point? Change is around the corner. Where do you think the AIF is going?

Where was the AIF going 5-10 years ago when the terminal was in the same shape and nothing was being done about it; funny how the only people who defend that airport is Calgarians...

Moaning? Childish remark don't you think? I stated the sad facts... The authority has clearly been making some terrible and even questionable decisions over the years that has led to a major Canadian airport being simply unable to perform; and because the traveling public pays for this; as I said, appalling. Period.
Old Feb 4, 15, 12:45 pm

...Childish remark don't you think? I stated the sad facts... .
Re-read your own posts first. Full of hyperbole, non-factual (yah childish) remarks.
Old Feb 4, 15, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Where was the AIF going 5-10 years ago when the terminal was in the same shape and nothing was being done about it; funny how the only people who defend that airport is Calgarians...

Moaning? Childish remark don't you think? I stated the sad facts... The authority has clearly been making some terrible and even questionable decisions over the years that has led to a major Canadian airport being simply unable to perform; and because the traveling public pays for this; as I said, appalling. Period.
I went through there last summer to grab a flight to LHR I was surprised how overcrowded and antiquated the whole terminal is. Kind of like LGA but with less space at the gates and without the quirky advantages at LGA due to the old configuration like fast security lines.
Old Feb 4, 15, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm glad that a new terminal is coming but the obvious and simple fix to a major bottleneck could have been implemented 10 years ago at the cost of assigning two labourers to move the AC/WS desks off to the side of the connecting baggage drop area and making/installing a few "BAG DROP ----> " signs. Didn't need a new terminal for that.

Frankly I'm surprised the airlines didn't insist on it years ago given how many misconnects the existing setup is likely responsible for.

For what it's worth I like the rest of YYC... usually there just on the dom side and I find it pleasant, so it's not like I'm looking for reasons to rip on that airport

Last edited by heraclitus; Feb 4, 15 at 1:00 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: