Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Who to complain to about YYC NEXUS security line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who to complain to about YYC NEXUS security line?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Thumbs down Who to complain to about YYC NEXUS security line?

They keep on sending regular people over here, making it slower than the other line-ups. Any advice?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I once mentioned it, and they let me cut the line. Sucks!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
[email protected]
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Advice to resolve the situation.

1. Talk to a supervisor about the situation and express your concern about whether they are folloing the rules or not with regard to Nexus Line screening.

2. Concourse A does have a new rope barrier that is suposed to send traveller to lane 2 (which is also the Family lane). However the rope quite often gets pushed aside by traveller hoping to get into the Nexus Lane. I push the rope lane closed and this generally redirects the flow of traffic to family lane (although i only did this once very recently).

3. Kick people out of line yourself. I have done this at YYC Concourse A. Its actually quite fun, just ask them whether they are Nexus card holders and when the answer is No, then redirect them to Family Lane.

In all seriousness (the last twon points are DYKWIA snobby syndrome) there is descrepency as to whether regular travellers who have not been selected as random high risk screening can also use the Nexus line. The viewpoint/position taken in YYC (both A and D security) is that regular folk can use Nexus Line unless they have been selected for random additional screening.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
Advice to resolve the situation.

1. Talk to a supervisor about the situation and express your concern about whether they are folloing the rules or not with regard to Nexus Line screening.

2. Concourse A does have a new rope barrier that is suposed to send traveller to lane 2 (which is also the Family lane). However the rope quite often gets pushed aside by traveller hoping to get into the Nexus Lane. I push the rope lane closed and this generally redirects the flow of traffic to family lane (although i only did this once very recently).

3. Kick people out of line yourself. I have done this at YYC Concourse A. Its actually quite fun, just ask them whether they are Nexus card holders and when the answer is No, then redirect them to Family Lane.

In all seriousness (the last twon points are DYKWIA snobby syndrome) there is descrepency as to whether regular travellers who have not been selected as random high risk screening can also use the Nexus line. The viewpoint/position taken in YYC (both A and D security) is that regular folk can use Nexus Line unless they have been selected for random additional screening.
YDFKWIA............ LOL LOL ROFL
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jlisi984
They keep on sending regular people over here, making it slower than the other line-ups. Any advice?
Unfortunately I see this happening a lot as well. I believe that staff there have been instructed to (or just want to) keep the lines even, so when they see the NEXUS security line getting short compared to the rest, they send some folks over. And then when legitimate NEXUS holders show up, there is no advantage to being in this line!

Occasionally I have seen people wandering over from other lines as well because they see this line as shorter and since no one stops them, they just proceed.

I was very impressed with the way this was handled in Ottawa this past Monday evening. The lady checking NEXUS cards directed a couple of business suits over to the regular line when they tried to get in on the NEXUS line. She was very professional but they seemed VERY offended, and then from the conversation I overhead after (they were in the next line over) they were quite miffed that she'd sent them away.

jlisi984, I have no idea how to get this fixed, but there has got to be someone that one can raise the issue with. Perhaps the supervisor in Security A?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Love it! Just send them the following correspondence on behalf of all of us:

Dear Calgary Airport,

They keep sending regular people in my line. Please help.

Sincerely,

Flyertalk User
B.Sc, M.D., AC*SE, SPG*Plat, HH Diamond
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's cool down folks.

Although they may be calling this the Nexus line, looks to me like what it really is is the priority line. Nexus and J class. Maybe some more?

Regardless, it's still quite a bit faster than the regular line with the body scan or body search.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Complain to CATSA directly, they're the ones who decided that it's a good idea to make a "trusted traveller" line and then make a rule that regular people have to be put in it if it isn't busy. Then again, it's CATSA. The people who make their policies are geniuses so why should they listen to the actual travellers who this was intended to "help", right?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
They do this in all locations when there is nobody in the NEXUS line and things are getting backed up. However, this means there are usually a couple of "amateurs" ahead of any NEXUS newcomer. The major advantage of the NEXUS line is to fast track the main queue, just as in the US where the elite fast tracks get you to the document checker, but then into the normal queues for the security process. From their viewpoint, they cannot afford to have one lane under utilized and empty while others are working full tilt. This tends to get worse in the summer months (like from now) because the number of leisure travellers is greater and queues move slower.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I noticed the exact same thing at YYC this week as well. The CATSA agents are directing regular travellers to the NEXUS lane, both from inside and outside the main entry doors. The past 2 times I have used it, the NEXUS lane has taken longer than the regular lanes.

I agree with sending concerns directly to CATSA, and will do so today. Other YYC NEXUSers, please do the same.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Here's what I sent....

I wanted to raise some concerns I have in regards to the Trusted Traveller CATSA Security Lines at Calgary International (YYC), specifically at the Concourse A security point.

As someone who travels on a weekly/biweekly basis, I have appreciated the reduced wait times in many airports with the Trusted Traveller lines. However, at YYC, I beleive there are some issues that should be addressed to ensure the initiative works as intended.

The last few times I have flown through YYC, travellers who do not qualify to use the Trusted Traveller line (i.e. do not possess NEXUS cards) have been directed to the lane by CATSA agents. I have witnessed this occuring on both sides of the entry doors. Additionally, the barrier designating the Trusted Traveller line is often removed, and non qualifying travellers move into the line as they see it is shorter.

Overall, I believe the Trusted Traveller program is working extremely well in most airports. The terms of use published on your website are very clear (i.e only NEXUS members can use the dedicated lanes, travel companions without NEXUS cards cannot; NEXUS members must show their cards to access the designated lanes) and in most airports I travel to are enforced correctly, resulting in the initiative operating as intended.

However, this is not always the case at YYC, and in my experience, more often than not, the Trusted Traveller lane is not being administered as per the terms of the program. I appreciate your time in reviewing my comments, and look forward to using the Trusted Traveller line in my future travels.

Yours truly,
VoodooYYC
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Let's cool down folks.

Although they may be calling this the Nexus line, looks to me like what it really is is the priority line. Nexus and J class. Maybe some more?

Regardless, it's still quite a bit faster than the regular line with the body scan or body search.
It is NOT supposed to be a J line. It has a lower security screening level, which is why it is supposed to be tied to NEXUS (i.e. trusted traveller). J ticketing has nothing to do with security risk.

At YVR there are three streams: Regular People, DYKWIA and DYKWIA Platinum (aka NEXUS). Only DYKWIA Platinum is supposed to get the guaranteed "no penisograph" treatment. The setup works, except for the fact that they only designate one line as NEXUS and often that is not nearly enough to handle the load, making the Regular lines faster despite the infrequent traveller "whaddya mean I can't bring that on the plane" delays.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Souvlaki
At YVR there are three streams: Regular People, DYKWIA and DYKWIA Platinum (aka NEXUS).
Perhaps DYKWIA Platinum should be re-named YDKWIA since we are in effect pre-screened.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Confused.. at YOW they ask to see your Nexus card to allow one to use the Nexus line... not at YYC? how can someone without Nexus get through that tight CSTA security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.