Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

J and Y food - what do you keep, what do you change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J and Y food - what do you keep, what do you change?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I read your comment on the crapper and laughed-coughed so hard it pushed the log out. Curiously it looked like the beef tenderoin. Thanks friend! ^^
TMI
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AC AP Elite
Serve the ice cream in J in something other than a cheap cardboard container. It is good quality but the way it comes reminds me of being served salad in a plastic bowl a few years back.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
TMI
+1.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I read your comment on the crapper and laughed-coughed so hard it pushed the log out. Curiously it looked like the beef tenderoin. Thanks friend! ^^
Hahahhaa. I can't make this s*** up (pun intended) but I read your reply...on the crapper too and I LOLd so bad it woke my wife up. Thanks for an awesome start to my day ^
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
+1 Ditto.

This is why I NEVER use that dressing. I simply toss the unopened vial (of vile!) into my finished plate once done. I eat the salad "as-is"... and frankly it tastes ok without any of that vile dressing (in a vial!)
+++1

And months ago in other meal threads, I mentioned I did not like the taste of the new dressing, too peppery. Debate ensued. Either way, salad is great plain.

P.S. Finally tried the new chicken last night (there are 3 depending on route and SD promised this was the best of the 3). 4 of us chose it and it was excellent.^

Also nicely washed down with the COOKIE. ...and ice cream

Last edited by 24left; Jan 20, 2015 at 7:16 am Reason: add menu
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by RZR
Fix the Tea !! I've never once had a hot tea that did not taste like burnt coffee!
+1
am a tea drinker and AC tea is tepid shite. get Timmies steeped tea.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:11 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by karachi
+1
am a tea drinker and AC tea is tepid shite. get Timmies steeped tea.
And the tea is better than the coffee....
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Coffee on UA is better.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
P.S. Finally tried the new chicken last night (there are 3 depending on route and SD promised this was the best of the 3). 4 of us chose it and it was excellent.^
I'm going to keep my eyes out for the new chicken.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:14 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Coffee on UA is better.
I don't recall is being as awful so you're correct.

That being said, I think the blue stuff that flushes the lavs tastes better than the AC coffee...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AC*SE, IHG Platinum, Hyatt, SPG, FlyingBlueS
Originally Posted by a78jumper
Serve the ice cream in J in something other than a cheap cardboard container. It is good quality but the way it comes reminds me of being served salad in a plastic bowl a few years back.
I flew on an unnamed carrier where the ice-cream served was a single scope in what looked like plastic specimen tub. Certainly not appealing.

I do not mind ice-cream in the paper tubs, that is far better than scopes of ice-cream in bowls that has dried out due to the (re)freezing process, leaving ice without the cream.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Good/great English type tea I imagine would be difficult aboard a pressurized aircraft considering it is physically impossible to the boil the water at the requisite temperature.
Green teas, however, would not be too difficult to do as the water should never exceed 80şC.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm going to keep my eyes out for the new chicken.

Just a little info.....

Given that I'm on Dom, TB and TPACs, I can tell you that the meal choices for each topic (beef, chicken, pasta, etc) are different for each of the flights (not including Asian meals offerings)

It was partly my own error for assuming they were the same until I had all 3 pastas, took photos and now I know the difference. This was exactly the same with the beef. (Also took photos of the menus as a reminder).

I never chose chicken as it was always too mysterious a description. On one TPAC, the FA hinted that it was not the best choice.
Finally yesterday from LAX, the crew explained that the chicken on this route (or TB routes?) was the best of the 3, and they were right. The chicken and rice had a great sauce and flavor and was not dried out. Could have used a couple of extra veggies, but there was salad of course.

(Apologies for no chicken photo. I know. Shocking. We were all enjoying the Malbec and conversation )
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Dorian
I find this a tad unclear. Can you elaborate a bit further on what you think of AC's bread offerings?
I find the bread offerings perfectly fine for either lunch or dinner, but to have FAs call the breakfast one a ´cinammon roll´ is an insult to cinammon rolls:

https://bakingwithbuttermilk.wordpre...wheat-version/

BTW, both the menu and the breakfast pancakes somehow vanished on yesterday´s YYZ-MEX morning departure. Very odd, but par for the course with AC.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I have been flying on some other airlines over the last few months and have had a chance to do some comparisons. Many of you already highlighted several items that need to change. I'm going to use AF & KLM to illustrate the differences;

J Class
Bread: AC continues to serve the stale tooth breaking products they call rolls. Why? I note that many people have asked this question already.
How is it AF & KLM can served excellent baked goods which are, flavourful and fresh. Even on my BR long hauls, the bread isn't stale and is served warm (love the garlic bread).

Soup: I was surprised to be served soup onboard a KLM flight. I've had it on BR, but never ever onboard AC. A hearty soup in the winter months might be a winner for AC.

Coffee: I am going to age myself here, but the AC coffee was much worse back in the day they were using Mother Parker's. I was so happy when they switched to Cara's Second Cup. Today, the coffee is less flavourful and robust. Either they are using less coffee to make a pot, or they have changed blends because some pax had complained that the earlier blend was too strong. Bring back a more robust blend.
If you want to be disgusted/disappointed/shocked/annoyed, fly AF. In J you are served Nestle instant. Seriously. It is awful.

Wine: I enjoyed what I was served on KLM and AF. It wasn't the most expensive of wine, but the people who selected the wines knew what they were doing. AC's poor quality wine is legendary and a distinguishing feature of the F&B service. There's a reason why AC never wins any recognition for its wine selection save that of disdain from those who can differentiate plonk from something decent.

Cheese: I wish AC would not preplate the cheese, but allow one to select what one wants. I only like the cheddar, so why waste the camembert and brie on me? Give it to someone who likes it. Af is worse. On my last AF flight the cheese for the TATL was included with the dinner tray. It was a sad lonely lump. Thank you AC for not doing that.

This brings me to my general comment on main courses. AC doesn't do anything interesting or innovative, but it is usually edible and not bad. I enjoy the AC tenderloin, but then I like my beef well done. We are fortunate in Canada to have access to some of the best beef in the world. Yes, AC overcooks often, but on AF the food was so overcooked, I thought it was prepared for people with no teeth as my meat dish it had turned to a clump of mush. On the other hand, BR served me a cold main course. I had to send it back twice.

I don't understand why AC doesn't offer a noodle soup type of snack like Asian airlines. IT's cheap and easy to prepare. I don't want the greasy potato chips that give me heartburn. As for the snacks in midflight, AC has a more generous approach. AF & KLM are cheap. Asian airlines excluding mainland China always have a wonderful variety of interesting snacks.

IFE: I wish AC would load some more Asian films for its Asian flights. The highlight of my EVA flights is the opportunity to see some good quality films from Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, China and Taiwan. The historical action films produced in China are fantastic. In comparison, AF makes the AC selection and system seem brilliant. On my last KLM flight, the selection didn't compare to what AC offers.

I give thanks that AC doesn't serve hotdogs to its J class pax on long hauls. I recall being served "sausages" for theThai Airways main course breakfast before touchdown in Germany (the alternative was rice porridge). If anyone has been to a Thai 7-11, he/she will have seen the wide selection of mystery meat sausages/hotdogs on sale for less than $1. That was the quality of what was served in TG J. I was sick after eating 1/2 a sausage/hot dog. I don't even know how TG wins awards for its meals, and AC doesn't because I have never had a meal on TG in J or F that is as good as what AC serves.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Jan 20, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.