FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1645129-air-canada-forum-lounge-thread-2015-a.html)

superangrypenguin Jan 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24169379)
Mine isn't.:) I know others who are increasing spending.

Literally a mandate to spend more on travel?

After Burner Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24169388)
Literally a mandate to spend more on travel?

I wouldn't exactly say mandate to spend more. The spend is just a collateral effect. Cutbacks went too far, hence a correction.

shuuy Jan 15, 2015 7:03 am

As it started... Duplicate, please delete

ffsim Jan 15, 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24169729)
I wouldn't exactly say mandate to spend more. The spend is just a collateral effect. Cutbacks went too far, hence a correction.

You gotta spend money to make money, right?

^

superangrypenguin Jan 15, 2015 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24172194)

^

One would think. IBM is notoriously good at keeping costs down while making money. Their global services org are mostly work from home guys. While we are getting there, some engineers on my team (namely me) still fly every week for work...then again there is some difference in quality of service ;) :D

ffsim Jan 15, 2015 10:05 am

Disclaimer: our company is a TINY fraction of IBM's size. We're still mainly focused on the top line which really keeps things interesting. We can afford to spend in order to seize opportunities when some of our (larger and public) competitors are focused on cost-cutting.

Life as an entrepreneur, I guess.

superangrypenguin Jan 15, 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24172403)
Disclaimer: our company is a TINY fraction of IBM's size. We're still mainly focused on the top line which really keeps things interesting. We can afford to spend in order to seize opportunities when some of our (larger and public) competitors are focused on cost-cutting.

Life as an entrepreneur, I guess.

Yep, or life as a private company. Mccains is another good example. They are a private business. You should see how they treat their workers (e.g. very well) and how they spend their money (let's just say they don't fly commercial.) They are very much focused on the top line...

Sometimes it's better to not work in a publicly traded company as all are focused on "shareholder" value. Ugh. :(

superangrypenguin Jan 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 24173147)
Maybe there's a message in there. I know I still get a really cool feeling about 5 seconds after 'Rotate' when the plane is still moving forward more than it usual climb angle.

That doesn't change regardless of equipment or cabin.

Maybe we all need to re-listen to Louis CK - Flying every once in a while.

Personally, I get excitement no matter of cabin when the engines spool up and i'm thrown back into my chair. TOGA's are also fun and extreme turbulence (especially while under the influence). :D

After Burner Jan 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 24172194)

^

I would like to believe that :) but the long and indirect chain of cause and effect makes it hard to be certain you're not making better profit in spite of increased travel.

After Burner Jan 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24172324)
One would think. IBM is notoriously good at keeping costs down while making money. Their global services org are mostly work from home guys. While we are getting there, some engineers on my team (namely me) still fly every week for work...then again there is some difference in quality of service ;) :D

It's not just IGS, many (maybe most) of their developers in the software labs work from home. And those work at home guys seem to be the most productive.

After Burner Jan 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24172441)
Sometimes it's better to not work in a publicly traded company as all are focused on "shareholder" value. Ugh. :(

Sometimes??

After Burner Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24173207)
Personally, I get excitement no matter of cabin when the engines spool up and i'm thrown back into my chair. TOGA's are also fun and extreme turbulence (especially while under the influence). :D

I'd be really surprised if you've ever experienced extreme turbulence. I don't think you'd consider it to be fun.

superangrypenguin Jan 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24173661)
It's not just IGS, many (maybe most) of their developers in the software labs work from home. And those work at home guys seem to be the most productive.

No disagreement. Most enterprise services division of large tech companies aren't there coding software, but rather we support different technologies, either in reactive support (firefighting) or proactive support (best practice knowledge transfer). In both cases, having someone onsite is much better (relationship with the customer, the ability to physically grab someone, seeing the whites in peoples' eyes) etc. That's a main service differentiator between IBM and us/other companies. We price it accordingly though. :)

superangrypenguin Jan 15, 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 24173817)
I'd be really surprised if you've ever experienced extreme turbulence. I don't think you'd consider it to be fun.

I've had less than a handful. But when coffee/wine ends up all over the pod and the pilot yells over the speakers for all FA's to take their seat NOW (never have heard a pilot sound angry/maybe a little scared). I thought we were going to make the news, but let's just say the FA's had a really hard time getting into their seats. Scary as hell during the event, but afterwards, liquor was flowing to all pax in J, much of it being consumed by me...

After Burner Jan 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24173892)
I've had less than a handful. But when coffee/wine ends up all over the pod and the pilot yells over the speakers for all FA's to take their seat NOW (never have heard a pilot sound angry/maybe a little scared). I thought we were going to make the news, but let's just say the FA's had a really hard time getting into their seats. Scary as hell during the event, but afterwards, liquor was flowing to all pax in J, much of it being consumed by me...

That sounds more like moderate, or possibly severe, turbulence, but not extreme. Extreme turbulence is very rare.

Extreme turbulence: Turbulence in which the aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. It may cause structural damage.