FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1645129-air-canada-forum-lounge-thread-2015-a.html)

yyckerr Jan 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24153346)
This is not a complaint post so mods please don't remove it - just saying bye bye to the original Lounge Thread!

I feel compelled to observe a moment of silence.

The first page of posts on the original thread was epic.

yyznomad Jan 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by yyckerr (Post 24153361)

I know! Ahhh... I miss those days of FT... it's almost a 100% turnover from that time... only myself and maybe a couple dozen others from back then are left from what I see here nowadays...

superangrypenguin Jan 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by yyckerr (Post 24153290)
Only problem is that I can't see those lasting more than 2 checked baggage journeys....

I don't check bags :) What's the point of this on a checked bag tho?

yyckerr Jan 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24153547)
I don't check bags :) What's the point of this on a checked bag tho?

Hm. Fair enough.

Nitehawk Jan 12, 2015 9:33 pm

So does anyone know the main differences in benefits and qualification requirements between the US issued Centurion and the Canadian issued card?

superangrypenguin Jan 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk (Post 24154904)
So does anyone know the main differences in benefits and qualification requirements between the US issued Centurion and the Canadian issued card?

Oh jeez - I'd love to say I knew the definite answer, but it's honestly been years since I looked up the diff on FT about the two. I have however learned that over the years it's much harder to get a US issued Centurion. Although one could argue you would get the Canadian Cent and then swap it over to a US Cent (if you can still do that). Given the demographics of Canadian salary and the smaller gap, I think it makes sense that we have to spend less to get it. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not spending my money, but have I gotten an invite? Yes. Did I turn it down? Yes - I don't need a CC to make me feel better. If the VALUE gotten out of it was greater than the cost, yes, I would have paid it. But for me, the value wasn't there. If it was, yes, I would have paid for the card and allegedly gotten a Plat Amex to cover the fact I had one (from what I remember, you could get a Plat supplemental to hide the fact you had a cent - again - years ago). YMMV, that's just what I would do, - I don't like drawing attention...I'm married already...and i'm fairly certain I am a kettle.

PS Most of our invites were a few years ago...during the bad economic recovery..

yyznomad Jan 12, 2015 11:28 pm

Most of you don't know me personally, but one thing about me is that if I embark on an endeavour, I embark to the extreme and excel at it to the max. This is how I live my life... for better or for worse.

So, which is the best site to host photos to allow for embedding on FT posts? What do you guys use?

I have never bothered to take pictures or engage in any social media shenanigans (i.e. even when I go to a new city for the first time, quite often I do not bother to take pictures with the mentality that I can come back anytime I feel like it, under my own terms), but I think it is now time for me to take pictures of all of my AC adventures to drive home my points - because typed ASCII and Upper-ASCII characters just don't seem to resonate as much.

tcook052 Jan 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24155314)
So, which is the best site to host photos to allow for embedding on FT posts? What do you guys use?

Dunno about best but I quite like and use photobucket.

maradori Jan 13, 2015 1:52 am

I'm starting to use imgur more

Skyborne Flyer Jan 13, 2015 6:36 am

Remember most of these sites will block pictures if sufficiently high traffic is directed to them (i think), trying to entice you with some kind of membership. Dropbox on the other hand will provide direct links with no such limits. (Facebook will do the same but finding the direct link is a bit tricky)

superangrypenguin Jan 13, 2015 9:41 am

Google drive... OneDrive to name a few

Geoflying Jan 13, 2015 9:45 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24155314)

There are lots - I use imgur - I don't know if there are any better ones but it works for me

superangrypenguin Jan 13, 2015 11:57 am

Originally Posted by yyckerr (Post 24153361)

I just read it. Those were one of the funniest FT posts I have ever read here :D :D

superangrypenguin Jan 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Interesting food for thought.

We all know that AC planes are flying fuller than ever. I saw a CBC thing today about how oil workers are now worried about their jobs and how Alberta is going in the tank. I know a lot of hard working oil people who self fund their travels on AC to go back and forth.

I wonder how the drop in oil prices will affect AC load on routes like Fort McMurray. Or in general, I wonder if oil prices will decrease AC load due to everyone losing money (stocks, mutual funds lately etc). Maybe a mini recession (well Alberta is going into the crapper as the mayor).

AC probably hedged its fuel (i'm no expert here) so it's not benefiting as much from the decline in oil prices. Food for thought.

And point #2 i'd like to ask is...

Every corporation under the sun is cutting on corporate travel (ours is no different). If corporate travelers bring up a sizable portion of the market, how is AC load higher than ever. Maybe we are a drop in the bucket? Thoughts?

Third? Question - what is more difficult? Weekly domestic flying or the long haul flying that some do? Honestly I only have a one sided view, just curious.

Is Rapidair weekly or is going to NRT/LHR more difficult maybe once a month?

I know we have some outliers on the forum...nomad/dorian for long haul...like 3x a week :p and Jayson who does rapidair daily...but outliers aside....what's tougher?

After Burner Jan 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24169053)
Every corporation under the sun is cutting on corporate travel

Mine isn't.:) I know others who are increasing spending.