Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SE Denied UA Lounge Access in IAH on Domestic Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SE Denied UA Lounge Access in IAH on Domestic Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
ok! edited.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ya I don't carry my card, it's never been a problem IAH included. But my BP has always said *Gold, that said I'm also quick to offer my AP number when in doubt.

PTY always asks for my card, to which I respond simply with the number and what program I'm in, get's the job done. I might start carrying it internationally a bit more now, but to this point I've never needed it, I do have a pic on my phone, but obviously they can't swipe that.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Thanks rjp123, this has come up from time to time.

I think I know where the error crept in.

In some of the old employee guides in the same place (e.g. 2009), it stated:

"UA and US SAG customers may only access the Red Carpet Clubs and US Airways Clubs when traveling in conjunction with international travel."

Since US is no longer with them, they just took out US and voila

"UA and SAG customers may only access the United Club when traveling in conjunction with international travel."
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Actually, *A rules state that a BP with AC*G is all you need for entry
Exactly. ^

Yesterday's experieces for me:

BLQ - generic airport-operated lounge
- scan, scan, scan and verbally provided 9 digits when asked

IST - scan BP and enter, no muss, no fuss, no lounge warden (AC could learn many things from that experience for their YYZ lounge)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:58 am
alc

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
IST - scan BP and enter, no muss, no fuss, no lounge warden (AC could learn many things from that experience for their YYZ lounge)
AC had went with the BP only thing a month or two ago. They don't swipe my card any more, especially YYZ. I think others had report this as well.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:07 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by IC Expert
Yesterday: Presented IAH to SAT boarding pass, no international connections that day. Had Aeroplan number on boarding passed. No Card, Denied Entry.

Today: Presented SAT to IAH boarding pass, no international connections that day, had Aeroplan number of boarding pass. No Card, Allowed Entry.

Today: Presented IAH to SAT boarding pass, no international connections that day, had Aeroplan number on boarding pass. No Card, Allowed Entry.
This topic seems to come up every 6 months or so , with people having difficulty getting in to lounge occasionally.

Why Doesn't everyone just card the card with them ??? Surely we all travel enough to know ...

... Doing this would allow for a better chance at a more pleasant travel day.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by IC Expert
Yesterday: Presented IAH to SAT boarding pass, no international connections that day. Had Aeroplan number on boarding passed. No Card, Denied Entry.

Today: Presented SAT to IAH boarding pass, no international connections that day, had Aeroplan number of boarding pass. No Card, Allowed Entry.

Today: Presented IAH to SAT boarding pass, no international connections that day, had Aeroplan number on boarding pass. No Card, Allowed Entry.
Obviously you hit a reception agent who assumed AC (and other partners') STARGold rules were the same as UA STARGold...no access on purely US domestic flights. Did you not ask her to look up the STARGold rules?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
IST is the only STARGold lounge I've come across that has the access gates which permit scanning of the bar code on one's boarding pass. That said, only those of us very familiar with that lounge know this is a way to enter without having to be screened by a receptionist.

Could you explain why you think AC could learn from the IST TK lounge? (Other than catering...)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Obviously you hit a reception agent who assumed AC (and other partners') STARGold rules were the same as UA STARGold...no access on purely US domestic flights. Did you not ask her to look up the STARGold rules?
Oh god, I can only imagine what would have happened if the OP suggested that.

The contracted TK agent working the *G check-in desk in BLQ yesterday advised me that the only provide a lounge invitation to their own TK frequent fliers, not any other *G members. Since this was not my first rodeo with contract agents, I simply proceeded to the BLQ Airport Lounge and was warmly received with my passport and verbally giving my 9 digits. It was nothing exciting with sad pre-packaged offerings, but the big benefit was fast espressos and an unmarked special security line through a passage way on the opposite side of the lounge. Right there, I was very appreciative of my hard-earned *G status .
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
And if they referred to the above mentioned employee handbook - they'd be right The rule is technically there in print.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:59 am

Could you explain why you think AC could learn from the IST TK lounge? (Other than catering...)
Luggage locker (THE most useful thing ever), video Golf, hot-wheels car track (toy car racing), PS3, sleep pod rooms, more than one TV screen (with personal head sets to sort out audio)...

And oh, let's not forget catering...

(p.s. my point of reference is YYZ)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by 3dot14
Luggage locker (THE most useful thing ever), video Golf, hot-wheels car track (toy car racing), PS3, sleep pod rooms, more than one TV screen (with personal head sets to sort out audio)...

And oh, let's not forget catering...

(p.s. my point of reference is YYZ)

IST lounge is amazing. It's huge. 2 floors. Plenty of luggage lockers (so if you want to head into town for the day, you can), food, sleep rooms, etc. By far my favorite lounge.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Clear as MUD

(yes, the IST int'l *A lounge is pretty darn good when it comes to the alliance)

So have we gained more clarity on this thread, because to me it is still clear as mud...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by jason8612
IST lounge is amazing. It's huge. 2 floors. Plenty of luggage lockers (so if you want to head into town for the day, you can), food, sleep rooms, etc. By far my favorite lounge.
Is the lounge behind security/in the transit area? Wondering since I might have a 8 hour layover in IST and it would be cool to be able to leave luggage locked up and go into town. Can you actually do that? And don't you need a visa for Turkey with Canadian (or UK in my case) passport in order to leave the transit area?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Is the lounge behind security/in the transit area? Wondering since I might have a 8 hour layover in IST and it would be cool to be able to leave luggage locked up and go into town. Can you actually do that? And don't you need a visa for Turkey with Canadian (or UK in my case) passport in order to leave the transit area?
I'm unsure of the visa. I know for both USA and PL passports you need a visa. And now the visa is a e-visa which you need to pay and apply for before you get there.

The lounge is in the international area after security and passport control. There is a way to leave the airport but it's a bit tricky. On the total opposite side of the airport there is a place for connections to domestic flights. You go that way (down the stairs, and around a corner). Then if I recall some 50m farther there is the passport check which then you can enter the country.

We flew in from BAH and got in around 6am. Headed to the lounge to eat some breakfast and shower. Then we left our bags in the locker in the lounge and proceeded to that passport area and went into town via the metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.