Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I posted about this awhile ago regarding the sheer stupidity of it.
Weren't you the one that 'fixed' it and then the GA came and ask you if you were mentally challenged?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Weren't you the one that 'fixed' it and then the GA came and ask you if you were mentally challenged?
No, that was yyzslowmad.

I'm yyznomad.

Who's the mentally challenged one now?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No, that was yyzslowmad.

I'm yyznomad.

Who's the mentally challenged one now?
I hope it's not me. I am walking into an exam in 30m.

I will have to demonstrate how I can use math wizardry to make Zonal Boarding posts point in the right direction.

Gonna be pretty tough...
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I hope it's not me. I am walking into an exam in 30m.

I will have to demonstrate how I can use math wizardry to make Zonal Boarding posts point in the right direction.

Gonna be pretty tough...
Good luck! (on the exam)
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: SE 100K
Regarding an AE ticket booked for me with someone else's points. (Somewhat Zone related).

Is there any way to apply my AE# to the booking so that it comes up with my E50K privileges? Do I have to call in or something?

At check in they always try to charge me for a bag (domestic), my boarding pass says Zone 3, and I always end up having to pull out my E50K card when entering the lounges etc. Just a bit annoying.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Zone 1 and 2 boarded together yesterday in IAH. How hard is it to just board bloody Zone 1 on its own? So tired of being stuck with CC holders and other riff raff.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Regarding an AE ticket booked for me with someone else's points. (Somewhat Zone related).

Is there any way to apply my AE# to the booking so that it comes up with my E50K privileges? Do I have to call in or something?

At check in they always try to charge me for a bag (domestic), my boarding pass says Zone 3, and I always end up having to pull out my E50K card when entering the lounges etc. Just a bit annoying.

I asked the same question last week. I was told by the phone agent that it cannot be done over the phone or at OLCI, but it can be done by a check-in agent at the airport.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Zone 1 and 2 boarded together yesterday in IAH. How hard is it to just board bloody Zone 1 on its own? So tired of being stuck with CC holders and other riff raff.
Zone 2 boarding CC holders are TD and CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege Cards, which are targeted at 1% of the population (and I suspect an even smaller % of the population even has these cards). The riff raff that bothers you so much probably consists more of Latitude ticket holders and low level elites.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Zone 2 boarding CC holders are TD and CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege Cards, which are targeted at 1% of the population (and I suspect an even smaller % of the population even has these cards). The riff raff that bothers you so much probably consists more of Latitude ticket holders and low level elites.
Or all the UA*S who think they're entitled to zone 2 on AC (they're not) regardless of what their boarding pass says.

I saw a *G in Y get in a fight with a GA. "We should be zone 1. We ALWAYS board first." etc.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CanadianMike

There is currently a glitch in the AC system (surprise!) wherein even previous status recognition capability has disappeared since they announced the most recent enhancement. They are working on it, but the only way to have status recognized on any reward booking (using yours or anyone else's miles) is to have it done at the airport.

(I think there is a separate thread on the recent so called enhancement but have not found it)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
I flew DXB-YYZ on December 9th. During zone 1 boarding, the GA scanned my boarding pass and allowed my sister (E50K Zone 2) to join me. As we proceeded, there was a second set of sliding doors being monitored by a security guard who checked all the boarding passes for zone 1 eligibility before allowing us to proceed.

He allowed me to proceed as "zone 1" but would not allow my sister (zone 2).

Did the security guard follow SOP? Or are travelling companions, regardless of status, allowed to board with SE's or Zone 1's?

Cheers.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Or are travelling companions, regardless of status, allowed to board with SE's or Zone 1's?
Yes they are.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes they are.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Security guard was being anal.

DXB zone 1 police worked well that day...too well if you ask me.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes they are.
Not according to the wiki, and not according to http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...g-by-zone.html.

Travel companions of Altitude Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, 50K, 35K and Star Alliance Gold customers as well as select TD/CIBC credit card holders booked on the same reservation and checking in at the same time will receive the same boarding zone as the Altitude member or credit card holder (excluding group bookings).

Immediate family members (including spouse, common-law, same sex partner and dependent children) may board at the same time as Altitude Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, 50K, 35K or Star Alliance member, even if not travelling on the same reservation.
I disagree with this policy in the sense that if you have one companion on another PNR, I think you should be allowed together. However, what I don't want is "Oh yeah my class of 100 is all with me, so we're going to board now."
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not according to the wiki, and not according to http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...g-by-zone.html.

I disagree with this policy in the sense that if you have one companion on another PNR, I think you should be allowed together. However, what I don't want is "Oh yeah my class of 100 is all with me, so we're going to board now."
While you're correct about the letter of the law regarding companions, the GA had already made the determination that the Z1 and Z2 could board together. I think it's wrong for the security guard to say otherwise, especially since he's in no position to determine "companionship" eligibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.