Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu

As for hygiene, and how exactly is this different than a restaurant?
Well there are health inspections (how often are AC galley's inspected by Transport Canada?) at most restaurants YMMV. Do AC crews get certification on food handling, is this taught as a module as part of the training? Not a slam, BTW !
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:44 pm

As for hygiene, and how exactly is this different than a restaurant?
Restaurant cooks wear clothes specifically worn in kitchens. Flight attendants wear clothes that can be contaminated anywhere in the plane, in the airport, or prior to the airport sitting on the bus/subway on the way to the airport. Cooks in restaurants don't restock or clean toilets, wipe up throwup, touch dirty airplane seats and seat belts or handle random passenger jackets/luggage, etc. It is against food handling regulations to wear outside clothes in a proper kitchen. Is AC going to make all the FAs wear hair nets or hats when plating food so stray hairs do not fall in the dish?

Kitchens have proper hand wash stations where soap is plenty and the water stays on for a good cleaning (not little levers that you must hold down to get water like on the 767). I was on a flight two weeks ago where the J galley on the a320 sink was COVERED WITH CARDBOARD. All there was was hand sanitizer in there to wash up! That situation WILL happen again if AC lets aircraft fly like that and this program is moved to domestic. All AC needs is one person have fecal particles on their hand from using the bathroom and unlock the door without washing and it spreads.

The situation improves with auto sinks in the new planes but still issues with using the door handle in the bathroom and unlocking mechanism. Will they be trained to use paper towels to unlock the door?

I understand the potential visual appeal of having them plate food but lets not pretend the FAs are professional food handlers who wanted a career preparing food. Especially when their numbers are being cut increasing their workload already... And now expecting them to do even more.

I understand there is not much that can be done on a plane about some of this stuff. I would have expected an answer in the realm of "we will try to mitigate and train staff in proper sanitary food handling" but defensive response of how hygiene in an airplane is no different from a kitchen scares the hell out of me and makes me think that almost no thought have been put into the hygiene side of making the FAs deal with food.

I am all for increasing quality and value and commend any improvements that can be done as the cuts and quality decreases have certainly been large the past couple of years.

Last edited by bakersdozen; Oct 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:42 pm

It sounds like a good idea to me.

Now ... is my flight YYZ-IST in 4 weeks considered "Asia"?

Not sure how you cooked this one up... this is not a cost savings exercise; we spent $$ for all these initiatives. Yes, we no longer to board yogurt for everyone on Europe but at the same time, we added extra options too and we don't get them for free - Oatmeal, quiche, 2 kinds of cereals.

The brunch option has nothing to do with snacks, the current 3rd option we've added on YYZ/Asia just so happens to be a stir fry noodles with dim sum (which is a very popular brunch item in Asia) - nothing to do with the mid flight snacks dim sum.

I flew on YYZ-NRT today with the new crew complement, meal service completed within 2.5 hrs as per our specifications. (And no, I didn't help out as I am not allowed to serve customers or work as a FA) On all the trial flights we ran before launch, none of the meal service took longer than 2.5 hours. Of course there will be flights that will take a bit longer as our galley flight attendants get used to doing this - many of them have done this before and some have never done it so that's where the variation will come in at launch.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbphilip

Ah. IST is the only place in Turkey that's in Europe. Rest of the country is in Asia.

(Which BTW regarding their application for EU membership, membership probably ought to be restricted to Istambul.... )
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:40 pm

Well, Istanbul and the part west of there that borders Bulgaria and Greece...

But I wasn't asking if Istanbul *is* in Asia, I was asking if AC considered it to be part of Asia for this change...

Originally Posted by Stranger
Ah. IST is the only place in Turkey that's in Europe. Rest of the country is in Asia.

(Which BTW regarding their application for EU membership, membership probably ought to be restricted to Istambul.... )
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by bakersdozen
Restaurant cooks wear clothes specifically worn in kitchens. Flight attendants wear clothes that can be contaminated anywhere in the plane, in the airport, or prior to the airport sitting on the bus/subway on the way to the airport. Cooks in restaurants don't restock or clean toilets, wipe up throwup, touch dirty airplane seats and seat belts or handle random passenger jackets/luggage, etc. It is against food handling regulations to wear outside clothes in a proper kitchen. Is AC going to make all the FAs wear hair nets or hats when plating food so stray hairs do not fall in the dish?

Kitchens have proper hand wash stations where soap is plenty and the water stays on for a good cleaning (not little levers that you must hold down to get water like on the 767). I was on a flight two weeks ago where the J galley on the a320 sink was COVERED WITH CARDBOARD. All there was was hand sanitizer in there to wash up! That situation WILL happen again if AC lets aircraft fly like that and this program is moved to domestic. All AC needs is one person have fecal particles on their hand from using the bathroom and unlock the door without washing and it spreads.

The situation improves with auto sinks in the new planes but still issues with using the door handle in the bathroom and unlocking mechanism. Will they be trained to use paper towels to unlock the door?

I understand the potential visual appeal of having them plate food but lets not pretend the FAs are professional food handlers who wanted a career preparing food. Especially when their numbers are being cut increasing their workload already... And now expecting them to do even more.

I understand there is not much that can be done on a plane about some of this stuff. I would have expected an answer in the realm of "we will try to mitigate and train staff in proper sanitary food handling" but defensive response of how hygiene in an airplane is no different from a kitchen scares the hell out of me and makes me think that almost no thought have been put into the hygiene side of making the FAs deal with food.

I am all for increasing quality and value and commend any improvements that can be done as the cuts and quality decreases have certainly been large the past couple of years.
Many of our competing 4* carriers have done galley plating for years and there are no adverse affects; frankly this is why many of them receive higher scores on meals/meal presentation in surveys and industry awards (e.g. Skytrax). We will serve this food with the same high level of service, quality, and care as we always have, nothing will diminish as a result. I'm afraid that if you are that concerned about your food not getting contaminated onboard, my only suggestion would be for you to pack your own.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by rbphilip
It sounds like a good idea to me.

When I flew the IST-YYZ route, I was surprised to receive the daytime amenity kit on this route (I know they have gotten rid of these in J now), so despite the 11 hour flight time it was treated as a daytime European flight. Hopefully when you take it, it has moved to Asia!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Well there are health inspections (how often are AC galley's inspected by Transport Canada?) at most restaurants YMMV. Do AC crews get certification on food handling, is this taught as a module as part of the training? Not a slam, BTW !
As a matter of fact we have covered food handling and hygiene and galley plating gloves are provided. We couldn't possibly handle and prepare burning hot food from ovens with our bare hands.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
When I flew the IST-YYZ route, I was surprised to receive the daytime amenity kit on this route (I know they have gotten rid of these in J now), so despite the 11 hour flight time it was treated as a daytime European flight. Hopefully when you take it, it has moved to Asia!
Was this recently? Amenity kits have been standardized on all J/C International routes. The previous "day" kits are the standard for PY.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I'm afraid that if you are that concerned about your food not getting contaminated onboard, my only suggestion would be for you to pack your own.
I am sure you can afford to be much nicer. The poster raised coherent issues. If I am in your position, I will do my best to reassure over his concerns. That other Airline receive higher marks because they plate on board is not reasurance enough. Is it possible their FAs received the training the poster is asking for?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:35 pm

Many of our competing 4* carriers have done galley plating for years and there are no adverse affects; frankly this is why many of them receive higher scores on meals/meal presentation in surveys and industry awards (e.g. Skytrax). We will serve this food with the same high level of service, quality, and care as we always have, nothing will diminish as a result. I'm afraid that if you are that concerned about your food not getting contaminated onboard, my only suggestion would be for you to pack your own.
Ben, you asked what was the difference between a plane galley and a restaurant kitchen which was frankly quite scary and i provided answers. I am disappointed in your attack.

Last edited by bakersdozen; Oct 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: OnePass, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Lllahim
I'm afraid that if you are that concerned about your food not getting contaminated onboard, my only suggestion would be for you to pack your own.
I am sure you can afford to be much nicer. The poster raised coherent issues. If I am in your position, I will do my best to reassure over his concerns. That other Airline receive higher marks because they plate on board is not reasurance enough. Is it possible their FAs received the training the poster is asking for?
On one hand I can appreciate that for once a real person is representing AC and interacting with us as opposed to the usual PR mouth piece.

On the other telling a paying customer (in J class no less) to essentially suck it up ain't exactly good form. And I won't say anything of the usual "but others are doing it so we'll do it" justification....At least they are not trying to further nickel and dime us this time as is the case with the recent baggage fee.

Still, AC has a lot to learn on how to use social media effectively....

Max
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Max007
On one hand I can appreciate that for once a real person is representing AC and interacting with us as opposed to the usual PR mouth piece.

On the other telling a paying customer (in J class no less) to essentially suck it up ain't exactly good form. And I won't say anything of the usual "but others are doing it so we'll do it" justification....At least they are not trying to further nickel and dime us this time as is the case with the recent baggage fee.

Still, AC has a lot to learn on how to use social media effectively....

Max
Keep in mind those often criticizing AC J service are not necessarily those who regularly pay for it, so if you think AC is telling people to suck it up they likely aren't directing that to the people these service changes actually impact.

Criticizing AC for plating meals is a new low. Concerned about how AC views sanitation, really? I'll bet the conditions on ACs aircraft in the galleys are cleaner than the vast majority of Canadian restaurants. ACYYZ/SD has already said they undergo training for handling, plus they want to use gloves anyways as to not burn themselves - that should be the end of the story and any concern. Straight from the horses mouth (sorry ACYYZ/FA, you're the horse!). The nitpicking of AC and its FT representatives to death over a service improvement is extremely lame.

Wondering what difference replating has over the previous warm-and-go meals are you serious? Do you really just eat for calories, is eating not an experience for anyone? At a restaurant would it make no difference if your meal was served on a McDonalds wrapper instead of a proper dish? Andrew pointed out presentation makes a big difference to enjoyment, and that he views hygiene concerns on an aircraft no differently than a restaurant. What is wrong with that explanation? Do you honestly expect him to provide you with the PDF memo for FA food preparation directives? Frankly I'm surprised he'd respond at all.

You'd think from peoples reactions here that FAs are scooping portions with their hands and replating them. I'm sure Andrew Yiu and Ben's reactions are sarcastic because they are in disbelief some here think hygiene wouldn't be taken into account.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by bakersdozen
Ben, you asked what was the difference between a plane galley and a restaurant kitchen which was frankly quite scary and i provided answers. I am disappointed in your attack.
In Ben's defense, you do not want to know what goes on in a restaurant kitchen... lol. Especially the "really delicious / good" ones.

Also, ever ate food at a hot dog stand before?

Ever been to a chinese restaurant kitchen in Chinatown?

As Ben said... this is no different from other top tier airlines providing food so I don't see any difference. I have got sick from restaurant food before, but yet to have get sick from airline food. While I complain a lot about things like boarding queues and carry on luggage sizers, I have confidence in AC providing safe to eat meals.

Now..... about those European J routes... :P

Last edited by theseatbelt; Oct 3, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:20 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I believe Ben answered the question very well before his last statement

We will serve this food with the same high level of service, quality, and care as we always have, nothing will diminish as a result.
I have never ment Ben, I do not know Ben and I am not a mindreader, but here is what I believe he meant to say by the last line in his comment is that he is flabbergasted that people would not think that food safety is analyzed, controlled and monitored throughout the industry, let alone Air Canada.

It came out much nicer than if I would have said it, that's for sure.

Can we please chill a little here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.