Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Using Aeroplan miles for United flights

Question: Using Aeroplan miles for United flights

Old Sep 28, 14, 10:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 36
Using Aeroplan miles for United flights

I am sure this has been asked, but I can't find a simple straight answer. Is it possible to book United flights using Aeroplan miles, to reduce the surcharges? If I identify a specific UA flight number, can I call Aeroplan and ask them to book a seat using my AP miles? Or is that just too easy :-)
y2imm is offline  
Old Sep 28, 14, 10:59 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 38,102
You can search and book UA flights on the AE web site booking engine. If your itinerary is more complex, you are best to search by segments, then call an agent to book the flight since the AE engine may not present all the options even using the multi-sector option. What routing are you looking for and when?
Shareholder is offline  
Old Sep 28, 14, 11:04 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 36
Well, departing YYG for TYO, but I don't think UA codeshares anything from YYG, so I settle for YHZ...my preferred routing is YYG-YYZ-NRT, but I can't often be that picky...looking to travel mid-Feb through mid-March 2015

Last edited by y2imm; Sep 28, 14 at 11:05 pm Reason: Timeframe
y2imm is offline  
Old Sep 29, 14, 9:25 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,928
You dont have to have your flights entirely on United - you can add on a short hop on AC to/from YYG - and you wont get dinged extortion fees.

You can also fly on TK, SQ, CA, LX to Asia and not be scammed by Air Canada.
There are many threads about which airlines do not attract scamcharges

Do a search on united.com (award travel) - you are looking for blue (saver) seats - those will be available to Aeroplan phone agents
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 29, 14, 12:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
You can search and book UA flights on the AE web site booking engine. If your itinerary is more complex, you are best to search by segments, then call an agent to book the flight since the AE engine may not present all the options even using the multi-sector option. What routing are you looking for and when?
Hi, probably a noob question, but I don't see an answer in the FAQ - what is the ae web site booking engine? Aeroplan? How do you see UA flights if so?

Thanks

Last edited by Gentile; Sep 29, 14 at 12:41 pm Reason: added quote
Gentile is offline  
Old Sep 29, 14, 12:54 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Posts: 4,382
Originally Posted by Gentile View Post
Hi, probably a noob question, but I don't see an answer in the FAQ - what is the ae web site booking engine? Aeroplan? How do you see UA flights if so?

Thanks
AE is Aeroplan abbreviation. Go to Aeroplan, sign in and Use My Miles for Travel, and then Book Flight. You will see not just AC but other Star Alliance airline flights when you do that (including of course United)
mapleg is offline  
Old Sep 29, 14, 2:24 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ/SFO
Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Posts: 2,754
Originally Posted by y2imm View Post
Well, departing YYG for TYO, but I don't think UA codeshares anything from YYG, so I settle for YHZ...my preferred routing is YYG-YYZ-NRT, but I can't often be that picky...looking to travel mid-Feb through mid-March 2015
Code shares do not apply to reward bookings. Everything is booked under the operarting carrier flight number. So your preferred route YYG-YYZ-TYO would be booked on AC and subject to the AC charges. If you want to actually fly on UA metal you are looking at a connection in the US.
D582 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 14, 3:07 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC*50K
Posts: 129
y2imm, I asked a similar question a couple of days ago. I suggest you look at the following thread and see the replies there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1616189

I hope that helps.
TimMinYYZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: