Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Using Aeroplan miles for United flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Using Aeroplan miles for United flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Using Aeroplan miles for United flights

I am sure this has been asked, but I can't find a simple straight answer. Is it possible to book United flights using Aeroplan miles, to reduce the surcharges? If I identify a specific UA flight number, can I call Aeroplan and ask them to book a seat using my AP miles? Or is that just too easy :-)
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You can search and book UA flights on the AE web site booking engine. If your itinerary is more complex, you are best to search by segments, then call an agent to book the flight since the AE engine may not present all the options even using the multi-sector option. What routing are you looking for and when?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Well, departing YYG for TYO, but I don't think UA codeshares anything from YYG, so I settle for YHZ...my preferred routing is YYG-YYZ-NRT, but I can't often be that picky...looking to travel mid-Feb through mid-March 2015

Last edited by y2imm; Sep 28, 2014 at 10:05 pm Reason: Timeframe
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You dont have to have your flights entirely on United - you can add on a short hop on AC to/from YYG - and you wont get dinged extortion fees.

You can also fly on TK, SQ, CA, LX to Asia and not be scammed by Air Canada.
There are many threads about which airlines do not attract scamcharges

Do a search on united.com (award travel) - you are looking for blue (saver) seats - those will be available to Aeroplan phone agents
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
You can search and book UA flights on the AE web site booking engine. If your itinerary is more complex, you are best to search by segments, then call an agent to book the flight since the AE engine may not present all the options even using the multi-sector option. What routing are you looking for and when?
Hi, probably a noob question, but I don't see an answer in the FAQ - what is the ae web site booking engine? Aeroplan? How do you see UA flights if so?

Thanks

Last edited by Gentile; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:41 am Reason: added quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Gentile
Hi, probably a noob question, but I don't see an answer in the FAQ - what is the ae web site booking engine? Aeroplan? How do you see UA flights if so?

Thanks
AE is Aeroplan abbreviation. Go to Aeroplan, sign in and Use My Miles for Travel, and then Book Flight. You will see not just AC but other Star Alliance airline flights when you do that (including of course United)
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by y2imm
Well, departing YYG for TYO, but I don't think UA codeshares anything from YYG, so I settle for YHZ...my preferred routing is YYG-YYZ-NRT, but I can't often be that picky...looking to travel mid-Feb through mid-March 2015
Code shares do not apply to reward bookings. Everything is booked under the operarting carrier flight number. So your preferred route YYG-YYZ-TYO would be booked on AC and subject to the AC charges. If you want to actually fly on UA metal you are looking at a connection in the US.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC*50K
y2imm, I asked a similar question a couple of days ago. I suggest you look at the following thread and see the replies there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1616189

I hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.