Advice please re *A reward YYZ-FCO-IST-YYZ

Old Sep 27, 14, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*50K
Advice please re *A reward YYZ-FCO-IST-YYZ

Hi.

I'm planning a trip for two of us next summer. Looking for reward tickets in J, open jaw, to get us from YYZ to FCO, then back from IST to YYZ.

I have investigated:

1. The most direct option, YYZ->MUC on AC, then MUC->FCO on LH, returning IST->CPH on TK, then CPH->YYZ on AC. With scamcharges, total $1950.

2. Two less direct options, with the *A reward ticket originating and ending at JFK ($923) or EWR ($602). Those $ figures don't reflect the cost of getting to JFK or EWR (50K miles + ~$370 in J; or ~$950 in Y).

I will of course have to wrestle with whether, in an attempt to save not a whole lot of $, I want to add a segment each way (YYZ to either JFK or EWR), but have I missed any options I should be exploring? I think I've done my homework but I don't do this very often at all so I may be missing something. Suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 14, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
try via a European gateway

Have you considered buying the best available fare to a European gateway, then booking the AP reward travel as an open jaw multi-stop? e.g. LHR-FCO IST-LHR? Prices out at 45K and much less in scam charges! Beats the drive to NYC!
Old Sep 27, 14, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Have you considered buying the best available fare to a European gateway, then booking the AP reward travel as an open jaw multi-stop? e.g. LHR-FCO IST-LHR? Prices out at 45K and much less in scam charges! Beats the drive to NYC!
Hmmm I'm not sure that helps, unless I'm missing something?

Much of the travel time is across the Atlantic, and I'd like us to be comfy, so if I'm trying to compare apples to apples, I'd have to purchase two pods YYZ-LHR, which would be almost $11K all in for two of us, even at the lowest available Executive Class fare. And then I have to spend 90K miles (instead of 210K miles if the reward ticket leaves from YYZ) plus ~$600. So I'm spending about $10K to save 120K miles. No thanks.

Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?

P.S. I'm not planning to drive to NYC.
Old Sep 27, 14, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Are you finding nothing on TK YYZ-IST or YUL-IST for your dates? That's what I would be looking for first, then building my connections on either end.
Old Sep 28, 14, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Twickenham View Post
Are you finding nothing on TK YYZ-IST or YUL-IST for your dates? That's what I would be looking for first, then building my connections on either end.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe this is a newbie question, but how would I book a reward ticket on TK? The Aeroplan website doesn't (seem to) offer that. If I call Aeroplan to book (*shudder*) will they be able to explore that option? I'm happy to call Aeroplan, but I just want to have done my homework first, i.e. know which flight segments I'm asking to book.

Last edited by TimMinYYZ; Sep 28, 14 at 9:52 am
Old Sep 28, 14, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by TimMinYYZ View Post
Hi.

I'm planning a trip for two of us next summer. Looking for reward tickets in J, open jaw, to get us from YYZ to FCO, then back from IST to YYZ.

I have investigated:

1. The most direct option, YYZ->MUC on AC, then MUC->FCO on LH, returning IST->CPH on TK, then CPH->YYZ on AC. With scamcharges, total $1950.

2. Two less direct options, with the *A reward ticket originating and ending at JFK ($923) or EWR ($602). Those $ figures don't reflect the cost of getting to JFK or EWR (50K miles + ~$370 in J; or ~$950 in Y).

I will of course have to wrestle with whether, in an attempt to save not a whole lot of $, I want to add a segment each way (YYZ to either JFK or EWR), but have I missed any options I should be exploring? I think I've done my homework but I don't do this very often at all so I may be missing something. Suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
Wow, you are really missing the big picture. You haven't been reading FT enough when you don't know you can start your journey in YYZ and transit through the US (+ back if needed) to make connections with reward flights that might have more availability US-Europe WITHOUT paying for an additional YYZ-US leg. You will pay the same miles and usually lower YQ because you will access UA flight US-Europe but yes you will at least have one more segment YYZ-US. You need to know your MPM +5 which is 6454 for YYZ-IST.
Old Sep 28, 14, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mountaingrl View Post
Wow, you are really missing the big picture. You haven't been reading FT enough when you don't know you can start your journey in YYZ and transit through the US (+ back if needed) to make connections with reward flights that might have more availability US-Europe WITHOUT paying for an additional YYZ-US leg. You will pay the same miles and usually lower YQ because you will access UA flight US-Europe but yes you will at least have one more segment YYZ-US. You need to know your MPM +5 which is 6454 for YYZ-IST.
Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, I'm missing the big picture, and it was exactly that fear that prompted me to post the question.

I have spent several hours browsing through FT threads and other websites. I'm not lazy. But maybe I'm dumb. I'm just trying to figure out the mechanics of doing what you're suggesting.

I like the sound of your suggestion. I don't mind the additional segment, especially given (as you pointed out) that I can do that using the same amount of miles. I just need someone to tell me how. Maybe it's staring me in the face and I'm missing it. If so, I'm sorry. I'm just asking for help. I'll do the work once I know about the tool(s).
Old Sep 28, 14, 11:20 am

@OP

Start here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...forum-faq.html

Then read more on Mini-RTW section in that thread (same logic applies despite yours is NA-Europe only)

Mini-RTW
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-mini-rtw.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...hlight=upgrade
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...questions.html

Also Award section
Award tickets

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets
Short Haul Awards
Changes to Flight Reward Charts
Lack of Swiss F award availability
carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel
Old Sep 28, 14, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
@OP

Start here...
Thank you very much jerryhung. I've taken a quick look and will keep reading. I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I kept seeing references to "mini-RTW" on FT but hadn't connected the dots. Didn't realize that had any relevance to my situation. Now I have lots to learn.

I appreciate your help.
Old Sep 28, 14, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by TimMinYYZ View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe this is a newbie question, but how would I book a reward ticket on TK? The Aeroplan website doesn't (seem to) offer that. If I call Aeroplan to book (*shudder*) will they be able to explore that option? I'm happy to call Aeroplan, but I just want to have done my homework first, i.e. know which flight segments I'm asking to book.
If there is availability on TK, it will show up on the AE website, but not always when connecting to another city. So, even if your ultimate destination is FCO, search for YYZ-IST flights first, then search for the IST-FCO connection. You might have to call AE to actually make the booking, but the $30 spent will be worth it to get the rock-bottom fees - should be less than $200 R/T.
Old Sep 28, 14, 6:27 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: *A Gold / OW Sapphire / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Diamond
If you can be flexible with your dates, you should not have a problem finding availability on TK from YYZ, YUL, ORD, IAD, BOS, JFK and even IAH. They have a fantastic J product and no scamcharges.

Use the United website to look for availability as you can toggle between dates quicker vs. Aeroplan. To narrow your search down to TK, choose any of the gateways above as your departure and IST as your arrival city and check the "nonstop" box.

The hard part is to find the TATL avail. Feeder flights from/to YYZ and FCO are easy.

Good luck.
Old Sep 28, 14, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Twickenham and Far Siren. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 14, 6:11 am

Tk only flies to yul three times a week

Search this Thread
Search Engine: