Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use a CPAP on board?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 2:42 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Have been using a CPAP for a few months now and have used it successfully on several AC flights.

Yesterday on AC 114 from YVR to YYZ I used it, fell asleep, SD noticed I was using it and took it upon herself to UNPLUG it so it stopped working. Of course, I woke up, assumed it had just come loose by itself and plugged it back in. Just as I'm falling back asleep she comes back, taps me on the shoulder to get my attention and informs me it's a no-no.

I tell her that I've used it on several other flights so I want to see the regulation in the manual. Off she goes, comes back with the iPad and sure enough, if it's battery operated, no-problem, if it needs to be plugged in it's a no-go according to the AC manual. She was nice enough about it and clearly just 'following za ordaas', but unfortunate to get such a keener who was so well versed on the manual.

So it looks like if you have the standard ResMed Mini for travel (or another model that needs to be plugged in) YMMV in terms of using it onboard on AC.

I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm not clear on what the issue is to plug in this device as compared to a laptop or other electronic device, and I really don't think I'm posing a risk of bringing down an A330 with something I bought at Shoppers Drug Mart, so hopefully someone here has some more specific knowledge that they can share as to what the perceived or real risk is?
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I think that the risk is that the plane's electrical system is inconsistent and not sufficient to power the CPAP regularly so AC prohibits you from using the plane's power to escape potential liability if it fails and heaven forbid someone passes as a result. Seems pretty remote but I think that's the issue. I was on either an Emirates or Etihad 777 and they said I could use the power for my Air Mini but it wouldn't work. I travel with a Medistrom PILOT-24 LITE CPAP Travel Battery and have informed AC medical desk before every flight I intend to use it on with no problem. There was some discussion above about someone who claimed to have authority from the AC medical desk to plug his CPAP in, but I don't think this was ever verified.
songsc likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I think that the risk is that the plane's electrical system is inconsistent and not sufficient to power the CPAP regularly so AC prohibits you from using the plane's power to escape potential liability if it fails and heaven forbid someone passes as a result. Seems pretty remote but I think that's the issue. I was on either an Emirates or Etihad 777 and they said I could use the power for my Air Mini but it wouldn't work. I travel with a Medistrom PILOT-24 LITE CPAP Travel Battery and have informed AC medical desk before every flight I intend to use it on with no problem. There was some discussion above about someone who claimed to have authority from the AC medical desk to plug his CPAP in, but I don't think this was ever verified.
So, it's not OK to plug it in and have it fail if power not adequate but OK to not allow to use at all?
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:52 am

It’s clear on the AC website that you need a travel battery if you want to use a CPAP

SPG_Fan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by annehamnitz
So, it's not OK to plug it in and have it fail if power not adequate but OK to not allow to use at all?
I guess that's how they feel and why they require a battery. They would rather not have you use it than take the risk. As noted above, it's clear that a battery is required.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I guess that's how they feel and why they require a battery. They would rather not have you use it than take the risk. As noted above, it's clear that a battery is required.
The compatible battery is $400!!!
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by billdokes
Have been using a CPAP for a few months now and have used it successfully on several AC flights.

Yesterday on AC 114 from YVR to YYZ I used it, fell asleep, SD noticed I was using it and took it upon herself to UNPLUG it so it stopped working. Of course, I woke up, assumed it had just come loose by itself and plugged it back in. Just as I'm falling back asleep she comes back, taps me on the shoulder to get my attention and informs me it's a no-no.

I tell her that I've used it on several other flights so I want to see the regulation in the manual. Off she goes, comes back with the iPad and sure enough, if it's battery operated, no-problem, if it needs to be plugged in it's a no-go according to the AC manual. She was nice enough about it and clearly just 'following za ordaas', but unfortunate to get such a keener who was so well versed on the manual.

So it looks like if you have the standard ResMed Mini for travel (or another model that needs to be plugged in) YMMV in terms of using it onboard on AC.

I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm not clear on what the issue is to plug in this device as compared to a laptop or other electronic device, and I really don't think I'm posing a risk of bringing down an A330 with something I bought at Shoppers Drug Mart, so hopefully someone here has some more specific knowledge that they can share as to what the perceived or real risk is?
Just be discrete. Remember when using a wireless mouse during flights was a no-no as they could bring the plane down or cell phones were not allowed on as planes could blow up? I also use a RES Med Mini and it's quiet, small, and discrete so use a hoody or blanket in such a way as to cover it up from view. Just like during the pandemic not wearing a mask, just be discreet and cover up. I follow rules when they make sense, but when they are dumb or lack common sense then I like to think I am a trailblazer as those things mentioned are all ok now! I guess I am a futurist and to others I am a bad man, lol
billdokes likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Just be discrete. Remember when using a wireless mouse during flights was a no-no as they could bring the plane down or cell phones were not allowed on as planes could blow up? I also use a RES Med Mini and it's quiet, small, and discrete so use a hoody or blanket in such a way as to cover it up from view. Just like during the pandemic not wearing a mask, just be discreet and cover up. I follow rules when they make sense, but when they are dumb or lack common sense then I like to think I am a trailblazer as those things mentioned are all ok now! I guess I am a futurist and to others I am a bad man, lol
Oh yes, the good old days when your $9.99 wireless mouse from Future Shop posed a MASSIVE safety hazard! Got flagged for that once or twice out of several hundred flights, so like most other AC 'rules + regs' is was YMMV on enforcement. I also remember once being on an XM 767 and being told by a super keener dragon in J that I couldn't use my Bose Over the Ear headphones via blue tooth. I said 'seriously, this is the 4th flight I've been on this week, and likely the 50th this year where I've used these. She was having none of that so she dragged out the old paper based manual to show me the regulation...fortunately I had the wire they used to ship with those so I just rolled my eyes, shrugged my shoulders, plugged in and asked for another drink which seemed to annoy her further as it involved her having to do some 'work'.

Another good one was when Samsung had the issue with their Note 7 and AC would still sometimes make specific announcements about those long after they were rendered in-operable by Samsung and the telecoms through over-the-air software updates...another good eye-roll moment.

What you suggest is what I usually do, but I think the problem this time is I was on an A330 and the storage/power bins in J are decidedly smaller than the ones on the 789/777 and the bin top was slightly agar. Making things worse is the aircraft was quite warm and the A330 has no overhead fresh air vents so wasn't comfortable with the duvet over my head which again made it more obvious that I was wearing my mask while sleeping.

Again, she wasn't mean or rude about it and you can't fault someone for doing their job as defined to them and following the rules, however ridiculous they may be.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by billdokes
The compatible battery is $400!!!
I know. And that's a sale price. I only bought one when I found out my health insurance would cover 80%.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:41 am

Programs: DL GM
CPAP not allowed on AC?

Just flew AC 61 YYZ-ICN in Business. Had some dinner, watched a movie, then plugged in my CPAP to get some shuteye, as I have done on dozens of other trips on other airlines. About two hours later FA wakes me up and tells me CPAP is not allowed on AC unless it's battery powered (mine is not). Has anyone heard or verified that this is indeed a written AC policy? I've searched the web site and see some guidelines on taking battery-powered medical devices on board (including CPAP), but nothing on taking any devices that use the ac outlet. If the concern is fire hazard, wouldn't a battery be a bigger risk than an ac plug that draws no more than a laptop?

I'm returning Oct. 8 on AC 62, wondering if there is any documentation I can show the flight crew to prove that my device is allowed under AC policy.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:02 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YankInAtlanta
Has anyone heard or verified that this is indeed a written AC policy?
Please read through this thread, where I have merged your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.