Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use a CPAP on board?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I was wondering if you guys had to call AC to tell them you're using an CPAP onboard or the FA just ignore it? I know the website says we have to......
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Yes I used a RESMED Air Mini 3 times for Asia flights in J ... no one said anything ... I use a 6 inch power extension easier to plug anywhere ... also this travel CPAP is designed for planes uses 9W (very low) ... (approx) ... FA ignored it simply ... maybe fearing waking me up would do more harm ??

Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Yes I used a RESMED Air Mini 3 times for Asia flights in J ... no one said anything ... I use a 6 inch power extension easier to plug anywhere ... also this travel CPAP is designed for planes uses 9W (very low) ... (approx) ... FA ignored it simply ... maybe fearing waking me up would do more harm ??

Thanks. I'm using an AirMini as well. I plan on bringing the battery pack as well just in case they don't allow me to plug it in.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Thanks. I'm using an AirMini as well. I plan on bringing the battery pack as well just in case they don't allow me to plug it in.

Hey that is my travel CPAC machine.

I also carry the battery pack and its not an issue. I think most people on board appreciate those who need the machine, to use it. Its quieter for everyone else and you also stay alive!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:32 pm

The battery bit is probably AC not wanting to guarantee that you'll have access to plug-in power. And AC doesn't want something bad to happen, and get blamed if you couldn't plug-in because your socket wasn't working. Quite possibly their purchase agreement for the power system specifically prohibits medical devices, so they'd stand no chance in court.

Possibly AC had an (unpublished) incident in the past. Or their lawyers are dreaming up edge cases to rack up hours.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: aeroplan 1984,SE,MM Dec2012
Wife checked with Ac medical desk re. CPAP use couple of years ago:
Check type/ size, battery preferred .
Plug in not ideal because of seat location and other passengers not happy where its.positioned :-) Economy
They were willing to help with seat location.
Seemed quite reasonable.
Calling in advance allows both sides to optimise needs.

Have had patients with medical needs in past and had no issues
when checking with med desk. Sometimes Medical needs form needed
for confirmation, they have been more than helpful.
It isn't fun in middle of night in mid Atlantic dealing with pass with medical probs who didn't
make any arrangements and travelling solo.
Dolphin2 and lallied like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Just curious for AirMini (ResMed) which battery pack are people using here??
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Just curious for AirMini (ResMed) which battery pack are people using here??
I have the Pilot 24 Lite. I have not tested it on a plane yet though.

https://www.sleeprestfully.com/Pilot...-CPAP-Battery/
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
I've just bought a new CPAP with a battery, specifically after getting into a tiff (for the first time in 5-6 years) on HKG-YYZ because of the plug-in. The SD came to me specifically to let me know it had to be battery powered, even in J. I went with the Philips Dreamstation, with the battery pack. Lots of features, long battery life, and super quiet.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
I've just bought a new CPAP with a battery, specifically after getting into a tiff (for the first time in 5-6 years) on HKG-YYZ because of the plug-in. The SD came to me specifically to let me know it had to be battery powered, even in J. I went with the Philips Dreamstation, with the battery pack. Lots of features, long battery life, and super quiet.
"It is battery powered. I'm just charging the battery right now."
willflyforfood likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Member

I'm old enough to remember when people using wifi on board was causing dozens of airplane crashes every single day.

So a single 9 W CPAP machine (30 times more than a 300 mW wifi transmitter) would like cause the plane to crash several times on a single flight.)
willflyforfood and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
I'm old enough to remember when people using wifi on board was causing dozens of airplane crashes every single day.

So a single 9 W CPAP machine (30 times more than a 300 mW wifi transmitter) would like cause the plane to crash several times on a single flight.)
Unfortunately, until Corporate sends an email to all the FA clearly stating what is safe and what is not, there's not much we can do.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by willflyforfood
You have the Dreamstation Go? I was going to get that, but the AirMini was half the size and the battery pack on the GO looks huge! With all the attachments, it looks like a regular Dreamstation Pro.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by b24liberator
Wife checked with Ac medical desk re. CPAP use couple of years ago:
Check type/ size, battery preferred .
Plug in not ideal because of seat location and other passengers not happy where its.positioned :-) Economy
They were willing to help with seat location.
Seemed quite reasonable.
Calling in advance allows both sides to optimise needs.

Have had patients with medical needs in past and had no issues
when checking with med desk. Sometimes Medical needs form needed
for confirmation, they have been more than helpful.
+1 to this.

A colleague of mine uses a CPAP machine. He used it for a few years without issue and then got told on a YVR-TPE flight last year that it wasn't allowed.

Since then, he has just e-mailed the medical desk beforehand and it has usually been added to the PIL. On the rare occasion it hasn't been on the PIL, he has been able to show the SD his e-mail chain with the medical desk and all has been well.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
It is definitely bigger. My issue is that I use the same CPAP at home, and I move around like a demon when I'm sleeping. I took one look at the little Air Mini, and was convinced it would spend a lot of time being batted about. The Dreamstation is pretty stable, but still sleek enough to travel well. It fits into every crevice on each of the planes where I've needed it, and the quiet running is a real plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.