Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use a CPAP on board?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Recently flew TPE - YVR and used the Resmed AIrmini with the Pilot-24 Lite Medistrom 24V Battery. I phoned the medical desk in advance as mandated and was told it was okay to use and it would be noted on my reservation. I was also given an email address to give advance notice on future flights. After boarding when the SD introduced herself I informed her that I would be using a CPAP inflight and that I had pre-cleared it with the medical desk. She let me know that apparently it had not been noted on my reservation and she had to check to see if I could use it. She came back and confirmed I could and I had the best sleep I have had on a flght in years.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Sorry folks but it seems that we're drifting off track a bit here.

However, in the interest of safety, let me clarify. The whole point of fuses and breakers is to provide an emergency disconnect in the event of an accidental circuit overload; not to see how much you can connect before the lights go out!

Whether or not CPAPs or other medical devices can draw too much current on an aircraft's limited electrical resources I don't know.

However, the rules are there for a reason and AC's FAs should be commended for upholding the restriction. Ideally FAs should be able to shut off power to non-compliant passengers! Heavy handed maybe, but the option should be available as a last resort.
I don't get the safety aspect. You are saying by connecting a device that overloads the circuits you would cause the plane to crash? Hmm, I never knew planes were so fragile!

And your blanket statement "the rules are there for a reason" doesn't actually apply in most cases. Rules may have been created for a reason (which may not actually have been a valid reason even at the time of creation) but many rules are outdated. Remember the rules for in-flight devices? I'm pretty sure most people understand now that if you don't put your plane on airplane mode the flight controls won't be so messed up your plane will be unable to take off and thus crash. There is no safety issue there.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriot Silver Elite
I was emailing AC Medical every flight with my information about carrying my cpap on board, even when I had no intention of using it. A while ago they stopped replying so I’ve stopped wasting my time
emailing them if I’m just on a short haul
flight.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I only contact them if I am going to use it now. Never had an issue.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
CPAP/BIPAD on AC flights for Sleep Apnea - esp Int J class (signature class)?

Are AC Intl J class flights (whether domestic, transborder, international) able to allow passengers with sleep apnea to connect and use the devices? Such devices run on plugs connected to wall sockets - 110 v in North America.

A secondary issue is that distilled water is needed to run the devices - although it is a lot less than 100 ml - so it would have to be brought through security (I presume that the AC does not carry any distilled water on its flights)>

I say the question is meant more for passengers in flat beds in intl J class, than in upright seats in any class - because sleep apnea more likely develops when one is sleeping supine (sleeping flat on one's back) than upright.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Are AC Intl J class flights (whether domestic, transborder, international) able to allow passengers with sleep apnea to connect and use the devices?
Your thread has been merged here since the answer is contained in a number of posts above. Short answer, the device works, but technically you need prior authorization from the AC medical desk. Scroll up for details.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Gold

A secondary issue is that distilled water is needed to run the devices - although it is a lot less than 100 ml - so it would have to be brought through security (I presume that the AC does not carry any distilled water on its flights)>

I say the question is meant more for passengers in flat beds in intl J class, than in upright seats in any class - because sleep apnea more likely develops when one is sleeping supine (sleeping flat on one's back) than upright.
You can easily use the device without distilled water (or any water). Family member has been doing that for 10 years plus
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
All the water containers I’ve seen on cpap machines are more than 100ml. I’ve used normal water many times.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:08 am

Air Canada will not allow you to connect your CPAP to the inflight power. You need to have a battery pack. Many different types are available depending on your machine. I finally broke down and bought one and have used it with many different airlines. Policies are different from airline to airline. Some require medical clearance. Air Canada does not, but does require advance notice, Here is a short article outlining their policy https://www.healthsqyre.com/educatio...a-cpap-policy/ (first hit on a google search)
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are some great travel CPAPs. I'm about to buy one of these:

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-a...i-travel-cpap/
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Air Canada will not allow you to connect your CPAP to the inflight power. You need to have a battery pack. Many different types are available depending on your machine. I finally broke down and bought one and have used it with many different airlines. Policies are different from airline to airline. Some require medical clearance. Air Canada does not, but does require advance notice, Here is a short article outlining their policy https://www.healthsqyre.com/educatio...a-cpap-policy/ (first hit on a google search)

My wife has hand-carried her CPAP numerous times on AC flights- but without using it inflight. The link suggests that one has to get authorization from AC just to carry it on the plane- even without usage?
She has never got into trouble for bringing it on-board, without prior authorization.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Your statement (bold by me), and that article, are contradicted by the experience posted above re being able to plug in or not.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Are AC Intl J class flights (whether domestic, transborder, international) able to allow passengers with sleep apnea to connect and use the devices? Such devices run on plugs connected to wall sockets - 110 v in North America.

You're allowed to bring distilled water for CPAP to get past security for Canadian airports.
https://travel.gc.ca/air/what-to-pack

As other's have said, AC will not allow you to plug in your CPAP, you have to bring your own battery that is small enough to meet FAA requirements. You also have to email AC's medical desk (I think at least 72hr before flying) to get permission to use it onboard.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have carried a CPAP machine as carry-on on all major US and European carriers (with a small number of exceptions). Never was anything questioned. But using it is always an issue, and if you are a regular overnight traveller I strongly suggest getting a travel CPAP.
willflyforfood likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
As other's have said, AC will not allow you to plug in your CPAP, you have to bring your own battery that is small enough to meet FAA requirements.
No. If you have authorization from AC's medical desk, you can plug it in, if it's one of the models that's safe for use on an airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.