Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canadian Credit Card Survey - What do you use besides Aerogold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2002, 8:59 am
YYZ
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E

Just curious as to what credit card products people are using. I am getting tired of the CIBC Aerogold which everyone I know seems to have. The benefits do not seem to be stacking up for me as I can rarely book a flight for Canada when I want to. Also, there is no yearly bonus in points. I would much prefer an option like Starwood AMEX which isn't available to Canadians.

The question is... I would like to switch, and was thinking of the dividend platinum cards. However, was just wondering if people had any other great / horrible experiences with other credit / charge card offerings in the Canadian market.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:13 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I was also wondering if anyone knew of Cdn CCs that have secured options.

I would like to get the Aerogold (and willing to put up the 5k as security), but I'm told it's not available secured anymore.

I currently use the Global Payment MasterCard issued by my Credit Union (CU mastercard). There is no credit attached. All charges come out of my checking account like a debit card.

Any advice???
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:44 am
At Large

I use Royal Bank Avion gold for a lot of my purchases and have already transferred over 200k points to BA for a future trip to the Seychelles.You can also transfer points to AA or buy trips and hotels direct from RB.Pretty good product.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:46 am
Suspended

I currently use Aerogold and based on the rapid devaluation of the Aeropeso this year, when it comes up for renewal in October, I am closing the account and switching to a RBC Avion card. My diners club was cancelled a couple of months ago for the same reason.

Until AC / AP actually shows us they care about PAX, I don't collect miles, refuse to give them revenue and go out of my way to fly someone else. There loss, not mine.

------------------
If you want to experience good customer service from an airline forget Air Canada and try CanJet or WestJet
Old Sep 1, 2002, 12:11 pm

What makes you think I'd even consider an AeroGold card? I used to have a Diner's Club card that collected Aeroplan points, but as others have noted with their devaluation it hardly seemed worth keeping it, so I didn't.

And like others, I highly recommend the RBC Avion card. You can use the points the same way as and Air Miles card, but that's a complete waste. The true value is when you convert the Avion points to AA or BA.

As well the Avion card comes with a pretty good suite of benefits, including all the usual travel and purchase coverages. As best I can tell the car rental coverage is superior to any other commonly available card, including DC and Amex Platinum. It does have one weird little limiation in that delayed flight and baggage insurance doesn't cover the last segment of an itinerary. Because of that, I've kept my Amex card. Otherwise it's Avion Visa all the way.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 12:33 pm

Also worth considering is the TD Travel card - doesn't have the BA/AA transfer option like the RBC card, but does offer complete and utter flexibility in redeeming the points.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 3:01 pm
msn

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
It does have one weird little limiation in that delayed flight and baggage insurance doesn't cover the last segment of an itinerary. Because of that, I've kept my Amex card. Otherwise it's Avion Visa all the way.</font>
I thought Amex dropped "last segment" coverage as well!

Old Sep 2, 2002, 8:46 pm

TD Gold Elite is very good for its automobile roadside assistance benefit. At $99 a year, you, your spouse, and unmarried kids are all covered for this benefit. CAA wants $70 for primary member and another $40 for a family associate. So I like this card for this reason.

This card also gives 1% back. I know, it's not much. But it's not per tier so you start earning that rate at the first dollar you spend. Other dividend cards like those from CIBC require spending over a few thousand dollars before reaching the qualifying level.

My other favourite is President Choice MasterCard from Loblaws. You get 1% bonus back that can be redeem directly at Loblaws supermarket checkout counters. They have a double point promotion until Oct 31 so they are giving away 2% now, WITHOUT an annual fee.

Canadian Tire Options MasterCard is also free to get, and gives 1% in Canadian Tire money... which is like our national tender anyway. This is the only card that gives back CT money on gas purchases. You can potentially earn 4-5% back on gas purchase if they run 5X or more promotion. It is usually at 4X so you earn a minimum of 2-3%. This card is good for those who drive SUV and fills up often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.