Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan is a Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
In my posts, the level of criticism of AC/AE also far exceeds the level of posts lauding the program. But lets be fair, Aeroplan is not a total disaster.

And if one feels like it is - just leave
We agree
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:48 am

I'm no expert in AP, believe me, but I still find it to be worth earning miles. Mind you, I am not a flyer, except on vacations and the odd business trip, so all of my miles come from my spending. I used to go out of my way to earn AP points through a CIBC mortgage (done now), buying 40 boxes of KD at Sobey's when they offered 200 points per box, churning through sign up bonuses for Amex, etc etc

I earn between 8k-12k points per month.

So, when I can fly to Paris on LX in business class for about 2 years worth of points - that is very much worth it for me. I'd never purchase those seats if it was my own cash. Mind you, yes, it was quite the challenge getting 3 of us to Paris on the same plane.

but, what are the alternatives? I've looked at other plans, and the Avion card mentality, but many of those have limits on the price they cover for a business class seat, right? (I admit, it's been 2 years since I looked for an alternate rewards card).

So, For me, I will keep AP, and hope that there are airlines like LX, UA, NZ, etc that are low on the scam charges. but, I suspect I am not the typical FT forum member.

If I am out to lunch, please let me know! I really do want the best bang for the buck - I have no loyalties to any particular airline. Heck, I can't remember the last time I flew in AC metal...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Toddcan
but, I suspect I am not the typical FT forum member.
you are not.
Most here are stuck flying AC and/or fly for work.

You are exactly the person I describe. We do not have much of a choice in Canada for non-flyers - Aeroplan is pretty much the only worthwhile game in town if you want to redeem for (premium) flights.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
..... We do not have much of a choice in Canada for non-flyers - Aeroplan is pretty much the only worthwhile game in town if you want to redeem for (premium) flights.
Have you looked at BA? Recently I've been using BA Avios points for redemptions. I can convert my Amex MR points, and with the Marco Polo Gold status my Amex Plat card gave me I get One World Sapphire benefits on those flights. The short-haul rewards are a great value (eg. YYZ-NYC or YKF-ORD on AA for 4,500 points + $50 one-way.) I've yet to fly BA trans-Atlantic, but I made my first booking in F for December. Same high fees as AC/AP, but worth it (I hope) for F vs. J. I'm looking forward to trying it. There seems to be pretty good availability for reward flights on both BA and their partners. Also seems fairly easy to use points for upgrades.
I'm giving serious thought to letting my SE status slip next year and going with mid-tier status on both AC and BA. If I understand their tier point system correctly (questionable,) I'll earn BA Silver status with some flights I've booked in March 2015 which will last me until the end of March 2017. That will replace the Marco Polo Gold status Amex benefit that's expiring next summer.

edit: I just noticed your profile and see you're probably familiar with BA!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Have you looked at BA? Recently I've been using BA Avios points for redemptions. I can convert my Amex MR points, and with the Marco Polo Gold status my Amex Plat card gave me I get One World Sapphire benefits on those flights. The short-haul rewards are a great value (eg. YYZ-NYC or YKF-ORD on AA for 4,500 points + $50 one-way.) I've yet to fly BA trans-Atlantic, but I made my first booking in F for December. Same high fees as AC/AP, but worth it (I hope) for F vs. J. I'm looking forward to trying it. There seems to be pretty good availability for reward flights on both BA and their partners. Also seems fairly easy to use points for upgrades.
I'm giving serious thought to letting my SE status slip next year and going with mid-tier status on both AC and BA. If I understand their tier point system correctly (questionable,) I'll earn BA Silver status with some flights I've booked in March 2015 which will last me until the end of March 2017.
I have BA Silver (inherited from BMI) - that is expiring this year.
CX Gold will only last us until April as well.
But yes, it was nice to have sapphire benefits on Avios flights - even an opup on S7 because of it!

I have transferred points during the 50% promo last year, and used quite a few Avios awards - great value on shorthaul awards with S7, LA and AA. Great value at 40,000 points and no YQ for AB J across the water as well, very nice flight.

Its never a bad idea to diversify.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Read his posts in all forums.

Also, saying that nobody else thinks like rankourabu nor gets any value from this program is presumptuous of you. Even in this thread, benefits are illustrated by some posters. But take a look at the Booked RTW thread or similar. Air Canada on the other hand is making Aeroplan less and less likeable.
I am one of these people, and completely agree with this, but I am also one that can travel anywhere in the world within <2 weeks notice based on F/J availability. This works very well for me with the likes of LH/OZ/BR. AC not so much, unless absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
That is fair and valid. But you must admit, the level of justified criticism far exceeds the level of posts lauding the program. It's not even close.
I totally agree. Fortunately for me 99% of my travels are for personal reasons, and non work related.

Originally Posted by Toddcan
I'm no expert in AP, believe me, but I still find it to be worth earning miles. Mind you, I am not a flyer, except on vacations and the odd business trip, so all of my miles come from my spending. I used to go out of my way to earn AP points through a CIBC mortgage (done now), buying 40 boxes of KD at Sobey's when they offered 200 points per box, churning through sign up bonuses for Amex, etc etc

I earn between 8k-12k points per month.

So, when I can fly to Paris on LX in business class for about 2 years worth of points - that is very much worth it for me. I'd never purchase those seats if it was my own cash. Mind you, yes, it was quite the challenge getting 3 of us to Paris on the same plane.

but, what are the alternatives? I've looked at other plans, and the Avion card mentality, but many of those have limits on the price they cover for a business class seat, right? (I admit, it's been 2 years since I looked for an alternate rewards card).

So, For me, I will keep AP, and hope that there are airlines like LX, UA, NZ, etc that are low on the scam charges. but, I suspect I am not the typical FT forum member.

If I am out to lunch, please let me know! I really do want the best bang for the buck - I have no loyalties to any particular airline. Heck, I can't remember the last time I flew in AC metal...
No you are not out to lunch my friend, and if you are, seems like you have LOTS of KD! We are very similar in the way we generate AE points (x5++ for me though). I have tons of points parked on my Amex MR and Amex SPG "in case" I decide to diversify to other programs in the future. In the meantime, it is Aeroplan Amex & CIBC Visa.
I have other work "traveling" friends that possess TD First Class or RBC Infinite Avion cards. And we have spirited debates about the pros and cons of each. That's another story for later in the thread. @:-)

LFC
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:19 am

In my posts, the level of criticism of AC/AE also far exceeds the level of posts lauding the program. But lets be fair, Aeroplan is not a total disaster.
You employ a constructive criticism .... ^ I mostly agree with your comments in all forums.
And if one feels like it is - just leave
A bit harsh ..... what happened to a free flowing disagreements.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by newbie elite
I agree that is it is hard to plan a year out, but when you can AE has value even with no AC status. YUL-YYZ-WAW-IST-YUL for 105K and $200 is a fair deal in my opinion.
If its in J, its even more of a steal.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Sep 15, 2014 at 11:32 am
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby

If its in J, its even more of steal.
No No No, in J, it is outright THEFT. For Aeroplan that is. UA, this is the norm.

Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by luvFclass
No No No, in J, it is outright THEFT. For Aeroplan that is. UA, this is the norm.

For UA it's also 140k on Star Alliance partners to Turkey
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
For UA it's also 140k on Star Alliance partners to Turkey
Exactly - as I mentioned before, there are sweet spots with Aeroplan. 90k to Europe without scamcharges is one of them.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:59 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
If its in J, its even more of a steal.
Yes in J. In the interest of transparency, I must add $90 to the $200, forgot about the change fees... Still happy with it.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Sep 15, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Exactly - as I mentioned before, there are sweet spots with Aeroplan. 90k to Europe without scamcharges is one of them.
I'd agree with you. But unfortunately AE users are reduced to foraging for whatever crumbs that Aimia has left on the table. Even non-scamcharge Y redemptions are a real challenge now. The program is greatly at odds with the marketing image of diligently stashing up points to go to a dream destination of your choosing. The reality has gotten quite far from that image... it is a far less desirable program than it was even 3 years ago.

I won't cut up my Aeroplan card or anything, but I don't think I'll be seriously pursuing AE points as I once did when I use up my current stash.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I'd agree with you. But unfortunately AE users are reduced to foraging for whatever crumbs that Aimia has left on the table. Even non-scamcharge Y redemptions are a real challenge now. The program is greatly at odds with the marketing image of diligently stashing up points to go to a dream destination of your choosing. The reality has gotten quite far from that image... it is a far less desirable program than it was even 3 years ago.

I won't cut up my Aeroplan card or anything, but I don't think I'll be seriously pursuing AE points as I once did when I use up my current stash.
oh yes... that image...

Of course the program is not where it was 3 years ago. 120k for RTW F was quite fun, but couldnt last forever. But far less desirable is still a long way from useless.

Thats the whole thing though - its the pursuing part - I am happy to just let them fall into my lap, I would never pursue Aeroplan points - which is why none of my flights would ever credit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.