Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan is a Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
You can cancel for $90 + tax per ticket and get all your points back to try to re-book.

You can standby for business at check in and hope you're lucky.
Most importantly, you should regularly check, and if availability shows up in Business shows up for some of your flights, call right away. That change should be free.

At check in, chances are virtually nil.

Use up your Aeroplan points and forget about the programme. Unless one travels enough to be SE, Aeroplan/Altitude are waste of time. Just shop for the cheapest fare for the class of travel within your budget. I have frequently found discount business class fare on other airlines to be cheaper than AC's economy class.
Quite. If you are not SE, Aeroscam is worthless.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by harris22643
To answer the question how I could fly as much as I did and not become a million miler, a lot of my mileage was on round the world itineraries with many flights being on Star Alliance partners. I did Vancouver Beijing HK Singapore Kolkata Frankfurt and home. Later the same itinerary only starting in Toronto.

Explain how I could have got direct flights as you suggest?
You still haven't given dates, so that perhaps alternate flights can be found.

Having said that, Eva Air is currently limited to 90 day advance booking to/from North America, and Air China is unavailable while they get their IT with Aeroplan sorted out
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Stranger
Quite. If you are not SE, Aeroscam is worthless.
I have never been SE, and I dont find Aeroplan worthless, especially given the ease of earning AE points without crediting a single flight in Canada.

There are many ways to use Aeroplan and get unparalleled value out of it.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I have never been SE, and I dont find Aeroplan worthless, especially given the ease of earning AE points without crediting a single flight in Canada.

aeropeso is not worthless. You can get toasters.

My friend (no status) just tried to call ae, to book a flight. He was told the wait time is 370 minutes. That is certainly "unparalleled value".

Of course that is much better than the "unparalleled value" of 2 hr wait that I had to endure myself not long ago, trying to deal with a booking, where ae did not inform us of a cancelled flight (that I found out myself).
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:50 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K

Yes, if you are flying AC solely to accumulate AE miles you are doing it wrong (unless you have to fly all the time and are SE, then AC makes sense). Churning and burning on non-YQ carriers seems to be the best value for AE points these days.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
aeropeso is not worthless. You can get toasters.

My friend (no status) just tried to call ae, to book a flight. He was told the wait time is 370 minutes. That is certainly "unparalleled value".

Of course that is much better than the "unparalleled value" of 2 hr wait that I had to endure myself not long ago, trying to deal with a booking, where ae did not inform us of a cancelled flight (that I found out myself).
noone said they make it easy

Those awful redemptions (60k in Y + $800 for a TATL) are what I am sure that AE, and AC (who collect the YQ) prefer over a multi-segment partner RTW in J.

I've never found calling Aeroplan to be as long of a wait as calling Air Canada.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Any wonder Aeroplan|AIMIA doesn't have a lurker or official respondent in this forum as does AC.
Because AC and AP are in disagreement. AC in reality is the boss, and AP is just bleeding AC knowing its days are numbered.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:10 am
Suspended

Aeroplan is the economic crimes department of Air Canada. Outsourced for good measure!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

OK, I'll bite. How do you use your miles to get 'unprecedented value', or was that being cynical? If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
OK, I'll bite. How do you use your miles to get 'unprecedented value', or was that being cynical? If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Well I know my example is unique but I use my miles to get last minute tickets from YVR - YQF or YQF - YVR (personal reasons).

At T-12/24 hours, if there is only latitude left (happens more often then you would think because of how busy the triangle is) it's $622 o/w. Miles it's 7,500 + $60 taxes & fees.

I consider this great value for me personally.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:54 am

Everybody is right as we all have different trips or needs.

So far we used the points for 2 round trips to Europe in J, one RTW to Asia back via Europe. Book for next year RTW to Australia / NZ from Europe, and one way to Europe. Just now, partner is on the trip to Europe, book this within 2 days of departure as family matters necessitated quick departure. Cost for these were $300 to $900 pp. In my case it was a lot of frustrating long hours to accomplish or find the applicable routing. We also maximized 2 stops the program allows. With reduced availabilities and issues with BR and CA, values will be harder and harder to squeeze out. Even AC availabilities are diminishing despite the high "taxes". However, for some of us alternatives are limited.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unparalleled = having no parallel or equal

big difference from unprecedented

1) SIN-TYO or other Asia1 - 30,000 RT in J - no scamcharges on SQ,CA,BR
2) 150,000 RT for a 3 stop round the world in J - <$200 in fees if routed right
3) 90,000 RT to Europe in J - <$200 fees if routed right

I dont fly domestic and/or for work, but I hear domestic tickets, especially last minute and/or shorthaul can be great value, even in Y, and even with the YQ + fake navcan tax AC collects.

I would also add the relative ease of accumulating those points if one lives in Canada. You dont even need to fly.

Of course Aeroplan should never the only thing in your points collection, but it is still a valuable weapon in the world of redeeming points.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) SIN-TYO or other Asia1 - 30,000 RT in J - no scamcharges on SQ,CA,BR
3) 90,000 RT to Europe in J - <$200 fees if routed right
Item 1, OK, if you need one of these you might indeed be able to get value. But most people have no use for these.

Item 2, OK again if you have use. But usually you won't find availability except occasionally if almost a year in advance.

Item 3, very little availability. Again most people cannot plan a year ahead. Which makes things *very* restricted.

I recently needed a 2 stop RTW, TPE and then CDG for my wife, in J. With return from CDG on AC, scamcharges of $450. Best value I ever got from Aeroscam. However when shall I need one of these again? Maybe never. And I am not sure the last leg wasn't an IKK one.

Of course, if you plan your trip around award availability, you'll find "value." But then comparing with the price of a revenue ticket would be delusional.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby

I would also add the relative ease of accumulating those points if one lives in Canada. You dont even need to fly.

Of course Aeroplan should never the only thing in your points collection, but it is still a valuable weapon in the world of redeeming points.
Possess an Aeroplan Visa & Amex Card for Personal/ Business (+Amex SPG & Plats for personal/business purposes and for diversification). All CC are for points earns & churns.

1) 2 TIX via AE(via Online booking. Save $30) on AC/BR-C(J): YOW-YYZ-TPE-YYZ-YOW in June. $157.84 x2, ALL in. ^ "unprecedented value IMO."

2) Though I also just booked, yesterday, an F-TIX back to TPE via:
YOW-YYZ-FRA-ICN-HND(1 night)-TPE(stop)-HKG-BKK(3 nights)-FRA-EWR-YYZ-YOW (16 days). All TATL & EU-Asia long haul is F, rest of short haul is C. AC metal is only domestic YOW-YYZ, all in for the "unprecedented value" of $1089.84 . I won some this year, I lost some. Keep in mind I try to avoid (AC/UA metal for reasons other than YQ)

Value is what each individual perceives it to be, that and I don't even bother to book rewards for any airline tickets in NA anymore, my points are strictly for overseas travels. That, and I already have a toaster in every room in the house.

LFC
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Well I know my example is unique but I use my miles to get last minute tickets from YVR - YQF or YQF - YVR (personal reasons).

At T-12/24 hours, if there is only latitude left (happens more often then you would think because of how busy the triangle is) it's $622 o/w. Miles it's 7,500 + $60 taxes & fees.

I consider this great value for me personally.
You were able to find seats because you're SE.

As many have said before, once when you are not SE, you will feel the true ugliness of Aeroplan and AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.