Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan is a Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:24 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I agree that is it is hard to plan a year out, but when you can AE has value even with no AC status. YUL-YYZ-WAW-IST-YUL for 105K and $200 is a fair deal in my opinion. On the other end of the spectrum, 2 tickets YUL-YGR using the 2-1 Aeroplat benefit is a steal at 15K points and $300 fees, usually $1,600 ticket.

There is value to be had, just have to have the correct timing.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You were able to find seats because you're SE.

As many have said before, once when you are not SE, you will feel the true ugliness of Aeroplan and AC.
I ll conceed that SE may be useful for domestic awards, I have no clue about domestic award availability.

I've never been SE, or any kind of AC E for that matter, and I will disagree with feeling the ugliness of Aeroplan (I'll happily agree to the ugliness of AC with no status) - I've booked a few dozen of around the world, trips of a lifetime, in business or first class, for myself, family, friends and clients - none of which had AC status.

Tell the people that fly once or twice a year, that their around the world business class two month vacation courtesy of (free) credit cards is feeling the ugliness of Aeroplan.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
As many have said before, once when you are not SE, you will feel the true ugliness of Aeroplan and AC.
Earlier this year I booked a mini RTW for 3 in J. During my research, the only segments that didn't have 3 seats, were the AC ones. Even with IKK. These were eastern and western triangle flights 11 months out.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
It's Sept 2014 and you've only realized just now that AE is near-bogus?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
As long as amia makes money and people use AP, it's great. Its when people stop participating in the program is when it sucks or no good. As long as people are engaged and using, its all good.

...........Like the Toronto Maples Leafs, great corporate support, lots of participation, but the team, well it never wins, but a very successful franchise. Think about AP like the Leaf
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
This thread title is the understatement of the year!!!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC *P
Aeroplan is a Disappointment

I can see where the OP is coming from but you live and learn through experiences. Some learn it better/earlier while others take their time.

As others have said, it is difficult to navigate such that you need to develop an expertise in redeeming for travel awards. Suffice it to say that it can be learned.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
As long as amia makes money and people use AP, it's great. Its when people stop participating in the program is when it sucks or no good. As long as people are engaged and using, its all good.

...........Like the Toronto Maples Leafs, great corporate support, lots of participation, but the team, well it never wins, but a very successful franchise. Think about AP like the Leaf
Being a Leafs fan I disagree. At least with Aeroplan you can get something like an LH F award booking. MLSE gives nothing in return for your dollars and loyalty
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVRorange
This thread title is the understatement of the year!!!
I dont get it, than why are you SuperElite???

If something is a disappointment for me, I dont stick around.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I'm amazed this thread is three pages long. Aeroplan is a disappointment - this is news? Really?

With due respect rankourabu, you have to be the only one who feels the program delivers any sort of value whatsoever. I'm glad you do, and wish you well if it's actually working for you. But based on this and several other threads over the past few years, it's clear a significant number of people on FT, and perhaps a majority, feel quite differently.

I'm one of them. Earlier this year I tried to book a TATL redemption. There was no availability in J for the dates I needed, and AE wanted 60k points and $700 to travel in Y. Further, all available flights included at least one lengthy, inconvenient connection.

In the end, I bought a direct flight on a competing airline for a hair over $900. The time I saved not having to sit on my duff waiting for a pointless connection was more than worth the extra $200.

Agree with OP. For me at least, Aeroplan is beyond disappointing. It's a complete waste of time.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
With due respect rankourabu, you have to be the only one who feels the program delivers any sort of value whatsoever. I'm glad you do, and wish you well if it's actually working for you.
The irony being, most people who have so far called Aeroplan a disappointment are some sort of AC Elite :P
I try to avoid AC like the plague - on awards or revenue tickets. And I havent credited a flight to Aeroplan in a decade.

I dont understand, especially the SEs, who say Aeroplan is worthless, yet keep flying AC and/or credit flights to Aeroplan. Its not the only game in town.

Are Aeorplan redemptions as good as 2011 (not even 3 years ago), when we all zipped around the world in LH and LX F for 120,000 points + $100.

Of course not, there have been what, three? no or very little-notice devaluations, Air Canada has used AE tickets to start a racketeering side-business with scamcharges. On top of that, the website is designed to get the most out of you in terms of $$$, trick you by putting a 6000 mile flight in economy attached to a 200 mile flight in business, and charging you accordingly. $102 to make the slightest change, even for top tier - ridiculous.

but there are still ways of winning the war on Aeroplan. I have many satisfied customers this year alone who have been able to get good bang for their AE points, you cant tell me its impossible.

Last edited by rankourabu; Sep 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Item 2, OK again if you have use. But usually you won't find availability except occasionally if almost a year in advance.
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Just now, partner is on the trip to Europe, booked this within 2 days of departure ..... Cost for this was $300 ........
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:39 pm

With due respect rankourabu, you have to be the only one who feels the program delivers any sort of value whatsoever.
Read his posts in all forums.

Also, saying that nobody else thinks like rankourabu nor gets any value from this program is presumptuous of you. Even in this thread, benefits are illustrated by some posters. But take a look at the Booked RTW thread or similar. Air Canada on the other hand is making Aeroplan less and less likeable.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Read his posts in all forums.

Also, saying that nobody else thinks like rankourabu nor gets any value from this program is presumptuous of you. Even in this thread, benefits are illustrated by some posters. But take a look at the Booked RTW thread or similar. Air Canada on the other hand is making Aeroplan less and less likeable.
That is fair and valid. But you must admit, the level of justified criticism far exceeds the level of posts lauding the program. It's not even close.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is fair and valid. But you must admit, the level of justified criticism far exceeds the level of posts lauding the program. It's not even close.
In my posts, the level of criticism of AC/AE also far exceeds the level of posts lauding the program. But lets be fair, Aeroplan is not a total disaster.

And if one feels like it is - just leave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.