Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge Flight Report and Feedback Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This thread is for Air Canada rouge flight reports and feedback after flying rouge, not a general debate thread about the rouge brand, staff, equipment, etc. which should be directed to the master rouge thread which is here.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge Flight Report and Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I managed to squeeze into a Rouge MCO-YYZ flight yesterday and fortunately upgraded to J. The working crew seemed quite competent and pleasant. It wasn't the unmanageable wide-body and I think that's probably for the best.
The NUTS were the PERFECT temperature!

Two minor notes (an improvement on recent trips):
I was disappointed in the pasta, described as "tomato sauce", arriving positively soaked in bell peppers (a big food intolerance for me). If the menu had said tomato-pepper sauce, I'd have picked the chicken. Even the "dry" tortellinis had been infused with pepper vapour, so I'm glad the salad is currently in a pepper-free rotation. Not asking for any bend-over-backwards special catering, just more representative descriptions on the menu.

When I booked the flight (same day), J was about 50% unassigned, but of course, it was full on departure. I noticed a much higher female occupancy rate than normal*. At first, I thought, cool, the GA is spreading the op-up joy, not just bestowing favours on flirty men bearing chocolates. My positive thought was short lived, as in addition to hacking and coughing the entire way, my seat mate or her apparel reeked of smoking and some sort of smoke-odour-masking product that clearly did not work. I had to run the overhead vent the whole way, with limited efficacy. I am sure her non-smoking colleagues notice this person's unpleasant aura and wish they'd share this feedback with her.

* I am sure many figured this out faster than I did. The female invasion was subsequently clarified on deplaning when many, including my fragrant friend, hauled numerous carryons out of the overhead emblazoned with rouge branding.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
I flew Rouge for the first time last weekend, on a trip to Las Vegas. It was...surprisingly OK.

I upgraded to Premium Rouge from YUL to LAS and back (I would have preferred the widebody from YVR, but because of connections and my schedule in LAS the timing wouldn't have worked). I found no perceptible difference between Premium Rouge and North American Business class, other than having to figure out where to put the iPad when I was eating (and since I usually just listen to music, this wasn't that big of a deal). And the flight attendants were definitely perkier. I didn't see one wearing a hat, though

Since they're Rouge-ing YYG-YYZ, though, eventually I'll wind up in Economy when my E-upgrades run out. I'll report back again then
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

From other Rouge thread

Thanks for posting your experience!

Coupled with some of the challenges you face when flying, I find your perspective on airline service very interesting as it is much different than many flyers.

I am surprised that AC doesn't have the rights to the CC of their content. Hopefully it's not a decision to just skimp out on the licencing fees.

Out of curiosity, have you given up on ordering special meals in order to alleviate anxiety wrt food offerings? Is it because the ingredients are not listed for any of the meals? (I am sure many would be really grateful if they were listed.)
The caption licensing is usually cost skimping. As long as they could get away with it, Canadian networks would too often fail to broadcast captions for content known to be captioned in the USA. Prerecorded captions (i.e., not live transcription during news or NFL or whatever) are encoded to appear at certain time codes of the program. When programs need to be adjusted, such as to stuff more advertising into the half-hour, or in syndication when they insert product placement or make additional trims, or trim for airline requirements, it often means someone has to massage the captions for the new media format. That could incur additional costs beyond just the copyrights. Caption providers and copyright holders like the National Captioning Institute stand ready to do it, but entities like airlines often like to hide behind requirements like "screens of this size are exempt from captioning" (thinking is that the captions <13" screen are too small to read). I watched a LIVE NFL game on board UA seatback screen and captions were excellent.

Meal wise, until there is a directory of ingredients of special and regular meals (and how hard would it be to post menus of the month online? You can get that from Denny's for goodness sake) there's not much benefit to ordering special meals. If it wasn't for gluten, milk, and meat, I would probably starve!

I am not a unilateral AC-hater, but I don't plan to stop reporting on "improvable" experiences until they catch the wave and improve, if only a little at a time. It's all I can do.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by flyquiet
The caption licensing is usually cost skimping. As long as they could get away with it, Canadian networks would too often fail to broadcast captions for content known to be captioned in the USA. Prerecorded captions (i.e., not live transcription during news or NFL or whatever) are encoded to appear at certain time codes of the program. When programs need to be adjusted, such as to stuff more advertising into the half-hour, or in syndication when they insert product placement or make additional trims, or trim for airline requirements, it often means someone has to massage the captions for the new media format. That could incur additional costs beyond just the copyrights. Caption providers and copyright holders like the National Captioning Institute stand ready to do it, but entities like airlines often like to hide behind requirements like "screens of this size are exempt from captioning" (thinking is that the captions <13" screen are too small to read). I watched a LIVE NFL game on board UA seatback screen and captions were excellent.

Meal wise, until there is a directory of ingredients of special and regular meals (and how hard would it be to post menus of the month online? You can get that from Denny's for goodness sake) there's not much benefit to ordering special meals. If it wasn't for gluten, milk, and meat, I would probably starve!

I am not a unilateral AC-hater, but I don't plan to stop reporting on "improvable" experiences until they catch the wave and improve, if only a little at a time. It's all I can do.

Thank you very much ^
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: A3*G
Flight/Origin-Destination: YYZ-LAS (connected from MUC-YYZ)
Date: 12/08/2015
Cabin: Economy

Pre departure

Was check in quick and efficient?
Needed a new boarding pass to transfer, issued quickly.

Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient?
Don't know, was still at the lounge when boarding began.

If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates?
N/A

Onboard - rouge cabin:

Were the crew professional & well groomed?
Yes.

If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates?
N/A

Did the IFE work as expected?
Didn't use.

Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin?
Don't remember.

How was the quality of the meal/Onboard cafe?
Juice was ok.

Did the cabin crew offer water regularly throughout the flight?
Yes.

Post departure

If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time?
Yes.

Overall experience/any other comments

The flight was only half-full, hence i occupied 3 middle seats and slept for most of the flight.
Seats were comfortable and legroom was sufficient (i'm 1,8m).
All in all a good experience for a N.America flight.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:46 am

Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 1940/YVR-DUB
Date: 15/06/16
Cabin: Premium rouge

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes, no queue at YVR. Desk agent told me I could use the lounge, which I was pretty sure wasn't the case on an international Premium Rouge ticket, and this was confirmed when I was turned away at the lounge. No big deal.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes and yes.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates?Yes, excellent communication throughout the short delay.

Onboard - Premium rouge cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed?Yes, terrific.
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates?About a 30 minute delay to disembark at DUB because of ground crew issues, captain kept us well updated throughout.
Did the IFE work as expected?Yes.
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Yes.
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Newspapers distributed & meal orders taken on ground. They were taking orders according to some system unknown to me - would have said it was status, but I was the first one asked and have no status.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) About 2 hours.
How was the quality of all the meals? Dinner was fine, breakfast was the usual banana bread & yoghurt.
Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? No, but I didn't ask as usually travel with additional water/electrolytes.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time?No. This isn't AC's fault but a constant issue at DUB. Bags didn't start arriving until a good 30 minutes after we had disembarked (so almost an hour after we had landed) and as always at DUB the priority-tagged bags came out last. In future will ask check-in agents not to add priority tags if I'm flying to DUB.

Biggest issue overall for me was the legroom even in Premium Rouge. I was in the bulkhead and it may have been better in seats back, will have an exit row in economy to compare it to on the return trip. But it's uncomfortable enough that I would prefer to fly Transat Club to LGW and connect there on to DUB in the future.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Flight/Origin-Destination: YYZ - PUJ
Date: 06/10/16
Cabin:Y

Pre departure
Yes. And the agent was very nice. Just as the agents in the MLL

Yes

There was a delay with regular updates

Onboard - rouge cabin:

Yes
No delay
Did not use it
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin?
1.5 hours
N/A
Not sure. I didn't feel good, tried to sleep. May have missed them.
Post departure
It was at the belt before we arrived to the baggage claim area
Typical vacation flight - lot of crying babies. One bad experience - the seat of my older son had dried barf on it. Quite disgusting. Fortunately, there were blankets - he was sitting on it.

Flight/Origin-Destination: PUJ-YYZ
Date:06/17/2016
Cabin:Y

Pre departure
Yes
Yes
No delay, boarding started early

Onboard - rouge cabin:
Yes
There was a delay due to storms on the route, we were provided with updates
Did not use it - watched the lightning outside
1 hour
N/A
Yes
Post departure
It was at the conveyor when we arrived to the baggage claim area
Again, typical vacation flight with lots of crying babies. Found the leg space better than the 319, but still not comfortable enough. In the future will choose between Rouge Plus and TS Club
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
FA baggage wrangling - kudos!

I flew on AC1852 from LAS - YYZ on Nov. 22 and was very impressed by the FA (Geoff?) and his efforts to organize the overhead bins. As pax were boarding, he showed them the correct way to place roller bags to maximize space and rearranged things as necessary. As a result there was lots of space and little stress for late boarders trying to fit their belongings. I seldom see FAs showing this much initiative and (as a former tetris addict) I was very impressed by this fine display of competence. ^
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
I flew Air Canada Rouge economy class to Japan and it was fine (with legroom photos).

I just wanted to contribute a positive experience flying Air Canada Rouge because when I was Googling information about the airline in preparation for my trip, all I found here was people freaking out about how terrible it was. As a result, I was expecting to have an absolute terrible flight leading up to my vacation. I was, however, pleasantly surprised with the service I received, and I want to post an honest review of my experience here so that people who are Googling this airline in the future can get information I wish I had found leading up to my trip.

I flew AC1951 and AC1952 between Vancouver and Osaka. Both flights approximately ten hours.

I've flown trips in economy class with United, Delta, Air Canada, Air Transat, Air China, China Southern, and ANA over the last few years, ranging from short domestic flights to overseas long haul flights. I have never flown in business or first class. I can honestly say that the comfort level and quality of service with Air Canada Rouge is on par with what I am used to, with two exceptions.

First is that there is slightly less legroom. However, it's not nearly as bad as the Internet would have you believe. I snapped some pictures to show what the legroom was like on my flight. Note that I am a 6ft 1in, 160lbs man:

Image of my legs with my butt shifted as far back as possible: http://i.imgur.com/hMjp9At.jpg. There's a solid three or four inches of room between my knees and the seat in front of me.

Image of my legs in a more "slouched" sitting position with my butt forward: http://i.imgur.com/ZtvvZsH.jpg. My knees are lightly touching the seat in front of me but are not "crammed in" like many other people on the Internet suggest.

And here's an image of me sitting in a neutral, comfortable position: http://i.imgur.com/ELGbEFF.jpg.

The other thing to take note of is that there is no entertainment system on board. The back of the seat in front of you has no television embedded into it like most airlines. I overheard several conversations between flight attendants and other passengers who had not done their research and were surprised to find a lack of entertainment system. However, I had done some basic Googling about Rouge in advance and therefore came well prepared with movies and TV shows on my laptop and my Nintendo Switch to keep me busy, so this was a non-issue. I often don't bother with in-flight entertainment anyways because the selection sucks and the screens are tiny.

Also, here's a picture of the meal: http://i.imgur.com/U41mLLN.jpg. It tasted fine and was the same quality as in-flight meals I've gotten from other airlines in the past. I also brought lots of my own snacks with me, which I recommend for any flight.

With regards to the flight attendants, yes they were younger and their uniforms were a little less dressy, but they were just as professional as any other airline.

My airfare for round trip between Toronto and Osaka (including short layovers in Vancouver) was about $850 CAD. Given that anything under $1300 would typically be considered a good deal for a trip to Japan, the slightly less legroom and no TVs were well worth the savings. If I have further opportunities to save money by flying with this airline in the future, then I will not hesitate to take them.

I honestly think that most of the people complaining about this airline are airline super-elites who are used to hanging out in lounges and getting bumped up to business class most of the time. For those of us that just want to get to our vacation destination and save some money on the flight, Air Canada Rouge is a great option.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks for the review.

The consensus here seems to be that Rouge economy seats on the 767 are not much worse than mainline, but the A321/A319 seats are not a pleasant experience.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
I just wanted to contribute a positive experience flying Air Canada Rouge.....
@etgohomeok

Thanks for your detailed positive review and photos.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
I honestly think that most of the people complaining about this airline are airline super-elites who are used to hanging out in lounges and getting bumped up to business class most of the time. For those of us that just want to get to our vacation destination and save some money on the flight, Air Canada Rouge is a great option.
I've certainly heard some other people comment that Rouge isn't that bad.

That said, I'm not anywhere near a SE, have never been opuped, and rank Rouge Y as one of the least favourable travel experiences I've had (only 3 trips that I can recall).

I mean, they get you to your destination. Eventually and normally in one piece. Compare to say EasyJet, RyanAir and Air Transat - except these three generally offer cheaper prices. Rouge is not always that cheap. When a flight gets Rouged, do the prices go (significantly) down (I don't honestly know this for sure)?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by jc94
I've certainly heard some other people comment that Rouge isn't that bad.

That said, I'm not anywhere near a SE, have never been opuped, and rank Rouge Y as one of the least favourable travel experiences I've had (only 3 trips that I can recall).

I mean, they get you to your destination. Eventually and normally in one piece. Compare to say EasyJet, RyanAir and Air Transat - except these three generally offer cheaper prices. Rouge is not always that cheap. When a flight gets Rouged, do the prices go (significantly) down (I don't honestly know this for sure)?
I've flown a number of routes that got rouged. Certainly not cheaper in $, just the experience.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Compare to say EasyJet, RyanAir and Air Transat - except these three generally offer cheaper prices. Rouge is not always that cheap. When a flight gets Rouged, do the prices go (significantly) down (I don't honestly know this for sure)?
No, they do not. Not even reasonably (let alone significantly) down. And if you already have a ticket on a mainline flight that gets Rouged, there is no discount.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
And therein lies the issue. Rouged flights do offer a free cancellion that said, but for 90% of people they still want to get somewhere and it may be too late to get another cheap ticket.

As many have pointed out, Rouge is a low cost to AC. Not the customers. It's like going to the Keg, ordering a rib eye and being given a big mac because they decided it would save them money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.