Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge Flight Report and Feedback Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This thread is for Air Canada rouge flight reports and feedback after flying rouge, not a general debate thread about the rouge brand, staff, equipment, etc. which should be directed to the master rouge thread which is here.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge Flight Report and Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
YUL to VCE (August 26)

Duly noted that most of the flight reports posted above have to with Rouge premium class experience! Mine (below) is for Y service...........
Last month, I took AC Rouge YUL-VCE and was pleasantly surprised:
- bulkhead seating was surprisingly comfortable (alberit no reclining).
- flight was not full so room to stretch out,
- blanket and pillow were complimentary, as was dinner and pre arrival snack,
- flight was on time! (a first since we had two long delays to from HNL a few years ago!).
My experience was so positive I am rethinking my opposition to Rouge!

ps cooleddie, what does this have to do with AC Rouge??
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Is YYC YYZ non flat bed signature class?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Booked Barbados YOW-YYZ-BGI and I am upfront as its a 5.5-hour flight and I need to be comfortable and the Hilton there is much better.
My expectations are low, my fantasy is high, I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks
I flew YYZ-POS 5hrs Premium Rouge on Friday and am flying BGI-YYZ today. Keep your expectations low and you will be fine.

Cabin crew was woefully young/inexperienced. 3 months out of school. Our FA happened to be so slow and clumbsy, spilled a container of apple juice on a friend, ice on us ,walked down aise forgetting what he was looking for (ipad) numerous times. took 60min to start drink service another 40 min to slowly get from row 1 of our aisle to row 4 (yes, only 12 drinks!). No drink offerer the last 2hrs of flight. He aspires to he an international service director soon.. Good to have hopes!

AC deadheads the return flight and cabin crew on these 5-6hr rouge flights (avoids hotel nd overnight). So I exect today's crew back to YYZ may be a bit tired.
tcook052 and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Sep 1, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by expert7700
I flew YYZ-POS 5hrs Premium Rouge on Friday and am flying BGI-YYZ today. Keep your expectations low and you will be fine.

Cabin crew was woefully young/inexperienced. 3 months out of school. Our FA happened to be so slow and clumbsy, spilled a container of apple juice on a friend, ice on us ,walked down aise forgetting what he was looking for (ipad) numerous times. took 60min to start drink service another 40 min to slowly get from row 1 of our aisle to row 4 (yes, only 12 drinks!). No drink offerer the last 2hrs of flight. He aspires to he an international service director soon.. Good to have hopes!

AC deadheads the return flight and cabin crew on these 5-6hr rouge flights (avoids hotel nd overnight). So I exect today's crew back to YYZ may be a bit tired.

Wow, good to know - Thank you for sharing

I guess I will just have to be pro-active and hurry the service a bit, lol
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC SE
No the food is not identical

YYZ-YYC = 4 choices of food, a premium salad, cookies, fruit and ice cream
YYZ-BGI = 2 choices of food, some greens, no cookies, no fruit, no ice cream
YYZ-YYC is a Premium Long Haul Route, so it gets upgraded food. The food on rouge on rouge is identical to AC's food on non-premium routes. Most business travel routes with high yields are Premium Long Haul; the most common premium routes are YYZ/YUL/YOW-YYC/YEG/YVR/SFO/LAX

Originally Posted by RangerNS
YYZ-YYC is Signature Class, for which you pay an extra premium.

Regular mainline is 2 choices, the same as Rouge.
YYZ-YYC is only Signature Class when it's a widebody. For Narrowbody, it is Premium Long Haul, so it still gets 4 meal choices. But when they substitute rouge on the route, they only offer the rouge spec, despite it being a Premium Long Haul Route, so if you get a rouge flight on that route, it's only 2 meal choices. So while rouge is in the mix, there are 3 possible meal standards on YYZ-YYC.

Is YYC YYZ non flat bed signature class?
No, but it's Premium Long Haul, so gets better meals vs. the typical AC long haul spec.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC 75K
One of the reasons the rouge catering is not the same is because there are stipulations in the FA collective bargaining agreement that the premium rouge service can not exceed the standard of international premium economy.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Here is a quick review of BGI-YYZ yesterday (on narrowbody A319M):

The rouge plane cabin looked flawless, as did the FA . She did an absolutely wonderful job, has been with Rouge since they started 6 years ago. She works 2days on and takes Mon-Fri off to be with family! The difference in passenger experience was night and day. Drinks out 30min after takeoff, constantly refilled, and attention to detail. She left snacks out with a please help yourself note which didn't happen on the YYZ-POS. No bread rolls with meals, but perhaps due to the double catering in YYZ the bread would have gotten even less edible and require payment of more chipped tooth claims.

The YYZ-POS was more of a crew shuttle with the turnaround crew in uniform taking up most of the 767 bin space with huge bags. The BGI-YYZ flight uses the SAME crew for the immediate turn. I was told it was legal by exactly 5 minutes (13hr55min block turnaround, the crew is only allowed 14h)!! The 767 plane takes longer to deplane/turnaround which would make the difference and require two crews.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:02 am

I was just checking some flights and I see Rouge still seems to be using the A321 with all economy seating on some routes. I presume these are some of the ex-WOW aircraft they received last winter/spring. I’m starting to suspect that they will leave these in all-economy format for the future....
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Genetk44
I was just checking some flights and I see Rouge still seems to be using the A321 with all economy seating on some routes. I presume these are some of the ex-WOW aircraft they received last winter/spring. I’m starting to suspect that they will leave these in all-economy format for the future....
They may not have the hanger space or operational slots to touch them until the MAX situation gets straightened out, but there are enough FFs on any route that a place to burn eups is always good.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I was in Rouge's all-Y A321 the other day and the seat pitch was quite good for me (I'm 6'). Almost felt like I was on a wrong plane.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Agosti
I was in Rouge's all-Y A321 the other day and the seat pitch was quite good for me (I'm 6'). Almost felt like I was on a wrong plane.
good to know ...I’m 6’3 and 230lbs.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Genetk44

good to know ...I’m 6’3 and 230lbs.
Just FYI, I was in 14D.
I now notice it is probably a preferred seat with extra pitch. My booking was made from Lifemiles and apparently it gave me some extra perks (two checked bags) and I could choose this seat for free.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I recently flew Rouge for the first time on the LAS-YYZ redeye in Premium Rouge on a 321. I was appalled at how bad it was - poor legroom in Row 1, dirty plane, and very poor service (lousy attitude, no PDB, no blanket, had to ask multiple times to get my jacket hung up, no bottles of water distributed, no drinks offered in the morning before landing). Okay, maybe I should've done a bit of research on what I was getting myself into, but it's a disgrace they call that product J.

I commented somewhat recently I'd rather fly a Rouge 319 over a Jazz Q400. I take that back and apologize for not having any idea what I was talking about.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
So Dan did a Premium Rouge flight review, YYZ-YVR in a 767:

Spoiler alert: It is everything we've come to expect ... no overhead space in the '80s bins, no leg room in the bulkhead, cheap amenities, frozen fruit with the meal, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
So Dan did a Premium Rouge flight review, YYZ-YVR in a 767: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWj7fVioRs0

Spoiler alert: It is everything we've come to expect ... no overhead space in the '80s bins, no leg room in the bulkhead, cheap amenities, frozen fruit with the meal, etc.
He captured the experience pretty well. However, at least in my experience, Signature Service does cost more. Last time I checked it was $300 more per NA sector. I almost always ask for a blanket and have never been charged. That seemed very odd. Alas, did not appear to have a kit kat. He should write in about that.

Looking at the food pics made me feel ill. So unappetizing. Regrettably, I have several ACr flights coming up.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Non stop Dan made a video of Air Canada and rightfully hated it

Here you go

https://youtu.be/ZWj7fVioRs0

Last edited by cooleddie; Nov 2, 2019 at 7:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.