Search

Air Canada Long Haul

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue MH Enrich Blue 9W JPMiles Blue
Hi all,

Thanks for the help!

I will check at checkin time or at T-24 online to see if I luck out. I am flying on the 77W which is running a 3-3-3 config and chose the row directly ahead of the exit row which is 43C SYD-YYZ-SYD. I will also see about the food although i will take your advise and keep my expectations low but i dont expect any worse service than other mainline carriers.

Also... mmmmmmmmm doughnuts....

Edited to add:

Originally Posted by zkzkz

Air Canada is one of the safest airlines out there, this is one of the most prestigious routes flown by their most experienced pilots, and they're flying into their hub airports that they know well. The 777 is probably the single safest plane you could be flying. Prior to 2013 in 18 years of service there had been not a single fatality due to any incident while flying. (There was a ground crew member killed in a refueling fire on the ground).

The 777 also *feels* like a safe plane when you're flying. The plane is very stable, has a modern design such as big overhead bins and entertainment system so you don't feel like you're flying a relic from the 70s. But it's not a brand new plane, the design has been in the air 19 years now with a great safety record. (The plane you'll be flying will have been delivered to AC from Boeing in 2007 or 2008)
I couldn't agree with you more, the B777 is one of the most comfortable planes I have had the pleasure to fly on, even with a 3-4-3, I always snag an aisle seat so that I am comfortable.

Last edited by rgp2130; Aug 6, 2014 at 4:16 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Absolutely have to agree 100% with this - $240 round trip is well worth it - as it applies to 18A&B and 18J&K on the 77Ls and 77W as long as they remain exclusive pairs.

Can't comment on the 77HD where 18C and 18H have been added since they really reduce the exclusiveness of the 18AB/JK pairs.

Realistically speaking AC missed the boat on only pricing these four seats the same as other preferred Ys 18DEF since they are really worth much more!
Except that on the classic 9 across config, in economy class the exit rows are 31 and 50. Also can anyone explain why the row numbering here jumps from 43 to 50?

http://bit.ly/1kmlVyE
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:25 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by rgp2130
Except that on the classic 9 across config, in economy class the exit rows are 31 and 50. Also can anyone explain why the row numbering here jumps from 43 to 50?

There's a lav and a galley between the two. You can see it better on the AC fleet information:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/77W.html

Make sure you are looking at the 2 class configuration.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:08 pm

Business Class Beijing to Vancouver

I'm new to this forum so if this question has been asked and answered I apologize that I couldn't find it.

We're flying from Beijing to Vancouver July 6, 2015. I'm looking at Air Canada flight 30 Business Class with pod seating in herringbone fashion. Right now seats are open so I have a choice and would like recommendations/suggestions about a good choice of seats for a couple.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suek46
I'm new to this forum so if this question has been asked and answered I apologize that I couldn't find it.

We're flying from Beijing to Vancouver July 6, 2015. I'm looking at Air Canada flight 30 Business Class with pod seating in herringbone fashion. Right now seats are open so I have a choice and would like recommendations/suggestions about a good choice of seats for a couple.

As was suggested in the prev post, have a look at the fleet information through the link provided, it should help a lot.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tireman77
There's a lav and a galley between the two. You can see it better on the AC fleet information:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/77W.html

Make sure you are looking at the 2 class configuration.
Thanks for that mate, I understood when I looked at the fleet information. It seems like as I am at Seat 43C on the port side and in front of the bulkhead I won't get any recline, can anyone confirm this??
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:53 pm

Thanks for that mate, I understood when I looked at the fleet information. It seems like as I am at Seat 43C on the port side and in front of the bulkhead I won't get any recline, can anyone confirm this??
I've never sat there, but seat guru does not like that seat. It appears it was limited recline and protrudes out a little so people keep bumping into the seat and its next to the lav.

When flying in Y on 777s I prefer being ahead of or over the wings. I find it quieter and less tail wagging. Rows 18-26 are in a mini cabin and probably have less traffic. Obviously, if you don't want to pay for row 18, I would suggest the C or H in there. My 2 cents...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by suek46

By June 2015, it is possible that the plane is a reconfigured 777 with the new interior. The entire configuration could be different with outward facing pods like the 787.

In the meantime, I like 6A/6K as my preferred seats in J on the 773, if flying alone. If flying as a couple, it depends on your preference. The pods are isolated so the little 'connection' you should get would be across the aisle and 6 becomes a no-go.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
By June 2015, it is possible that the plane is a reconfigured 777 with the new interior. The entire configuration could be different with outward facing pods like the 787.

In the meantime, I like 6A/6K as my preferred seats in J on the 773, if flying alone. If flying as a couple, it depends on your preference. The pods are isolated so the little 'connection' you should get would be across the aisle and 6 becomes a no-go.
Ben Smith said 777 reconfigs won't apparently happen until Q4 2015, so the standard pods should for sure be what he travels.

suek46 look at this thread which links to other threads as well for even more seat selection discussion. Lots of opinions. Experiencing both, I'd rather be one window infront of the other when travelling with someone since I hate airplane-talk. If you want small amounts of discussion (as no seats are conducive for anything longer) go for 2 in the middle. I like 11DG since you have extra storage space and are in the mini-J cabin which is usually darker (less chance of a window seat person leaving the shade up, less seats than forward J cabin).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
As a general rule, picking a seat directly in front of an exit row is a terrible idea on any aircraft. They are as bad or worse than the very last row on the plane. Change it while you can.

Last edited by Mauricio23; Aug 6, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

I would not pay for exit rows, but I will always pay for Row 18 on the standard 777 (not the HD one--which I plan on never taking)
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Seat Selection

I'm on AC 033 YVR-SYD in Y in early December. It's the longest flight I've done since 2008, and I'm not entirely thrilled about doing it in Y.

Trying to figure out seat selection. Currently, it's $91 USD to move to a preferred seat. 77L configuration.

Currently open: 18B, 18J, 18G, 19H/C.

My company should pay the $91. From what I've read, it's worth upgrading.

Questions:

1) Which seat do experienced fliers suggest? I'm a little worried that there is nowhere to put my feet for sleeping in the preferred seats, although I suppose I could create some sort of footrest using backpack. Also worried about babies.

2) Do the back rows of the plane fill up in early December? Does this flight go out packed? Mid-week flight. If not, then I'm wondering whether I ought not just try to score a full row and lay out.

The best move seems to be to grab the preferred seat as insurance, and then look for the full row, if available.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
I could create some sort of footrest using backpack. Also worried about babies.
Just make sure to take the babies out before you put your feet on the back pack.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
I'm on AC 033 YVR-SYD in Y in early December. It's the longest flight I've done since 2008, and I'm not entirely thrilled about doing it in Y.

Trying to figure out seat selection. Currently, it's $91 USD to move to a preferred seat. 77L configuration.

Currently open: 18B, 18J, 18G, 19H/C.

My company should pay the $91. From what I've read, it's worth upgrading.

Questions:

1) Which seat do experienced fliers suggest? I'm a little worried that there is nowhere to put my feet for sleeping in the preferred seats, although I suppose I could create some sort of footrest using backpack. Also worried about babies.

2) Do the back rows of the plane fill up in early December? Does this flight go out packed? Mid-week flight. If not, then I'm wondering whether I ought not just try to score a full row and lay out.

The best move seems to be to grab the preferred seat as insurance, and then look for the full row, if available.

Assuming it's the same 77L that I just flew twice to LAX, (others can correct me)....

I really liked 18K and after take-off, you can pull your pack from the OH bin and use as a foot-rest.

As the cabin was empty, many people went to the back and slept across full rows.

I am quite sure others here will post that this is not likely to happen on AC 33 to SYD, especially in December.

I would NEVER take 19 C or H because of this design. However, if you prefer a more "open space" and legroom, it might work for you.

I found that due to bassinet placement, there were parents and infants in the 18 D/E/G seats

Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Thanks

Sounds like 18B or 18J are best.

My one worry is not being able to sleep due to crying babies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.