Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Long Haul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue MH Enrich Blue 9W JPMiles Blue
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
So far, the separatists rebels in Quebec have not figured out what to do. They do have pens, newspapers, baguettes, and a lot of hot air, but I would think your flight will be safe.
LOL! If any of the other posts didnt do it, this one definetly settled my doubts about flying Air Canada. Thanks InTheAirGuy!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ls17031
What?
Eh, that was a joke!

To the OP...you'll be perfectly safe, there is nothing to worry about, and the MH17 tragedy has about as much to do with an AC transpacific flight as a box of doughnuts. Set service/food expectations low and you'll arrive happy!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SE
Regarding the bad reviews on Skytrax, I'd expect a lot of the bad reviews that refer to the 777 planes are with the high density 77W's (10 across) which manage to cram an extra ~100 passengers into a 77W, but aren't used on the SYD-YVR route. Your flight is on the classic 77W configuration, which is 9 across, so the seat width and pitch in economy are pretty reasonable (18.5" width, typically 32" pitch). If you have long legs, I'd suggest paying extra for a preferred seat, as others have mentioned.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue MH Enrich Blue 9W JPMiles Blue
Originally Posted by gcashin
Regarding the bad reviews on Skytrax, I'd expect a lot of the bad reviews that refer to the 777 planes are with the high density 77W's (10 across) which manage to cram an extra ~100 passengers into a 77W, but aren't used on the SYD-YVR route. Your flight is on the classic 77W configuration, which is 9 across, so the seat width and pitch in economy are pretty reasonable (18.5" width, typically 32" pitch). If you have long legs, I'd suggest paying extra for a preferred seat, as others have mentioned.
Unfortunately, i don't have CAD 240 to shell out for preferred seating. It is an exorbitant sum to ask for in the first place when some carriers, eg ANZ charge a fraction and some don't even charge.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by rgp2130
Unfortunately, i don't have CAD 240 to shell out for preferred seating. It is an exorbitant sum to ask for in the first place when some carriers, eg ANZ charge a fraction and some don't even charge.
Yes, totally understand. It's 32" pitch, so it isn't too bad in the regular economy seats. The preferred seats (bulkhead/exit row) become open to all passengers at check-in, so you can always ask at check-in to see if any of the preferred seats are still open then (they are usually taken, but sometimes you may luck out).
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:51 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
In terms of safety, you are in very good hands with Air Canada. AC has an extremely good safety record - it has not had a fatal accident or hull loss incident in 30+ years, which is much more than can be said for most other major international carriers.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Your food is free!

Just a point of clarification re food.

As you are travelling SYD-YVR on AC34 and provided your onward connection YVR-YYZ is the same flight you do NOT pay for food (domestic pax YVR-YYZ on AC34 do have to pay).

Same applies in reverse on AC33 YYZ-YVR-SYD; your food is free.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by vernonc
Not sure of the skytrax reviews but perhaps they are for AC Rouge which is a charter equivalent.
Actually, there are a lot of bad reviews on skytrax's Air Canada mainline page. The cutting to the bone in both service and hard product, not to mention their dismal handling of IRROPS, is finally coming home to roost. I hope they keep making the requisite payments for that "4 star" rating, because the passenger reviews sure don't back it up.

That said, the inflight experience on a 77L is still fine. Enjoy them while you can (i.e. before they get sardine-canned).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jbb
In terms of safety, you are in very good hands with Air Canada. AC has an extremely good safety record - it has not had a fatal accident or hull loss incident in 30+ years, which is much more than can be said for most other major international carriers.
Hmm. Did you forget about this one?

http://www.atwphoto.com/ac646.htm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rgp2130
And others such as United charge more (for less).

I would suggest that most people who have in fact shelled out the $240 round trip think it is worthwhile. Way I look at it is ten bucks an hour for unlimited legroom, and in row 18 well worth it for the comfort obtained.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mapleg
And others such as United charge more (for less).

I would suggest that most people who have in fact shelled out the $240 round trip think it is worthwhile. Way I look at it is ten bucks an hour for unlimited legroom, and in row 18 well worth it for the comfort obtained.
Absolutely have to agree 100% with this - $240 round trip is well worth it - as it applies to 18A&B and 18J&K on the 77Ls and 77W as long as they remain exclusive pairs.

Can't comment on the 77HD where 18C and 18H have been added since they really reduce the exclusiveness of the 18AB/JK pairs.

Realistically speaking AC missed the boat on only pricing these four seats the same as other preferred Ys 18DEF since they are really worth much more!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by HangTen

No fatalities, but yes a hull loss - of a Regional Jet - a platform that Air Canada no longer flies/operates.

TSB report here in case you're interested.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:20 pm

As others have mentioned if you're on AC34 YVR-YYZ or the reverse you get free food on that leg. However FAs often don't remember this and you might have to show them your boarding pass which has a notation about it. So keep your boarding pass to show them.

The same does *not* apply if your ticket connects onto any other flight number YVR-YYZ. Generally on Air Canada flights within North America have buy-on-board food in economy.

That's the only pro tip really. Everything else is just follow the directions. When you board your bags should be checked through to YYZ but you'll hae to pick up your bags in YVR, go through immigration and customs, then drop your bags back on the belt. In this case AC normally uses the same plane for both legs so you'll probably be getting back on the same plane. (As a bonus, tihs takes away a lot of the worry about the connection if the first leg is delayed.)

Air Canada is one of the safest airlines out there, this is one of the most prestigious routes flown by their most experienced pilots, and they're flying into their hub airports that they know well. The 777 is probably the single safest plane you could be flying. Prior to 2013 in 18 years of service there had been not a single fatality due to any incident while flying. (There was a ground crew member killed in a refueling fire on the ground).

The 777 also *feels* like a safe plane when you're flying. The plane is very stable, has a modern design such as big overhead bins and entertainment system so you don't feel like you're flying a relic from the 70s. But it's not a brand new plane, the design has been in the air 19 years now with a great safety record. (The plane you'll be flying will have been delivered to AC from Boeing in 2007 or 2008)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:44 pm

You can also get premium seats free; at T-24h before departure; however most people pay in advanced so getting these seats at T-24 are unlikely.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:22 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by HangTen

I stand corrected. No fatalities, but a hull loss to be sure.

If its any consolation to the OP, the AC646 crash happened in 1997 and was for an aircraft type that is no longer being used by AC and a regional, not long-haul operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.