Air Canada Long Haul

Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue MH Enrich Blue 9W JPMiles Blue
Air Canada Long Haul

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I last posted and I have a few reservations about my flight. I am flying with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Sydney and Air Canada from Sydney to Toronto via Vancouver, since I have flown Air New Zealand before I am comfortable with that leg but it is my first time flying Air Canada and I only chose this flight because it was cheaper than the Air New Zealand flight option. I am hoping someone could clear any reservations I have about flying ACA since I have read the Skytrax reviews for Air Canada and its not only those reviews that are making me feel uneasy but the fact that I would not like to tempt fate especially in light of recent events and fly Air Canada for the first time in a long haul flight (the total flight time from SYD-YVR being 13 hours +).

Could anyone help?

Thanks,
rgp2130
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
moving to the Air Canada forum

Please follow it there. Thanks.
squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE
What is your question exactly?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rgp2130
Hi guys,

Its been a while since I last posted and I have a few reservations about my flight. I am flying with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Sydney and Air Canada from Sydney to Toronto via Vancouver, since I have flown Air New Zealand before I am comfortable with that leg but it is my first time flying Air Canada and I only chose this flight because it was cheaper than the Air New Zealand flight option. I am hoping someone could clear any reservations I have about flying ACA since I have read the Skytrax reviews for Air Canada and its not only those reviews that are making me feel uneasy but the fact that I would not like to tempt fate especially in light of recent events and fly Air Canada for the first time in a long haul flight (the total flight time from SYD-YVR being 13 hours +).

Could anyone help?

Thanks,
rgp2130
I do not see any issues. From a safety perspective, AC is excellent. You may prefer one kind of seat over the other but otherwise the service/offering is comparable. Are you in Y or J ? Depending on your fare you may be able to pick seats. On the YVR-YYZ route it is pay for food.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 pm

...tempt fate especially in light of recent events and fly Air Canada
What recent events?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:21 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

AC and NZ are similar. Especially on those looooong haul flights. In terms of safety both are excellent. The planes they use to get to YVR are almost the same as are the in flight amenities.

I don't know if you'll be travelling in Business class or economy, so as requested earlier, you may want to provide a little more information on that and your specific concerns and I am certain people will appease them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
If you are flying direct syd to yyz there will be a meal symbol on your BP for the yvr-yyz segment that will get you a meal and snack option or snack and alcohol option.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue MH Enrich Blue 9W JPMiles Blue
Hi again!

I will clarify all the questions asked, firstly

What recent events?
upgradesecret: The recent events involving MH370 and MH17, I was a regular passenger with MH and I found that MH was excellent and these two events have rattled me a bit, hence my apprehension of flying a carrier for the first time.

vernonc and tireman77: I am flying in Y on a Tango fare and have already done my seat select while I was purchasing my ticket, I have also registered for Air New Zealand Airpoints and have added this flight to my airpoints account so I can collect points as ACA and ANZ are Star Alliance members.
Thank you for allaying any fears, I was expecting a horrible trip after reading those Skytrax reviews and for the first time ever I had a small but genuine fear of flying after MH17.

kwflyer: On my Flight Itinerary it does mention that there is a stop in YVR, however it does not mention the layover time or whether the flight number will change hence I assume that AC034 continues from YVR to YYZ using the same flight number.

Thank you all for helping me, it is rather embarrassing for me to admit that I had a fear of flying for the first time in my life but I am sure all will go smoothly, I would appreciate if this thread could continue as a comparisin about Long haul products between carriers.

Thanks,
rgp2130.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Hi again!

upgradesecret: The recent events involving MH370 and MH17, I was a regular passenger with MH and I found that MH was excellent and these two events have rattled me a bit, hence my apprehension of flying a carrier for the first time.

vernonc and tireman77: I am flying in Y on a Tango fare and have already done my seat select while I was purchasing my ticket, I have also registered for Air New Zealand Airpoints and have added this flight to my airpoints account so I can collect points as ACA and ANZ are Star Alliance members.
Thank you for allaying any fears, I was expecting a horrible trip after reading those Skytrax reviews and for the first time ever I had a small but genuine fear of flying after MH17.

kwflyer: On my Flight Itinerary it does mention that there is a stop in YVR, however it does not mention the layover time or whether the flight number will change hence I assume that AC034 continues from YVR to YYZ using the same flight number.

Thank you all for helping me, it is rather embarrassing for me to admit that I had a fear of flying for the first time in my life but I am sure all will go smoothly, I would appreciate if this thread could continue as a comparisin about Long haul products between carriers.

Thanks,
rgp2130.
Not sure of the skytrax reviews but perhaps they are for AC Rouge which is a charter equivalent. While the flight 'may' continue, I believe you will clear Canada customs in YVR. Someone else may be able to confirm. AC definitely has one of the best safety records IMHO.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
My advice for you is to pay for extra for priority seats 18 A/B/J/K especially.

The MH issue is a red herring..has nothing to do with flying AC for first time. Now if you were flying MH, then yes, I would say that's an issue.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

On my Flight Itinerary it does mention that there is a stop in YVR, however it does not mention the layover time or whether the flight number will change hence I assume that AC034 continues from YVR to YYZ using the same flight number.
You will have 1.5 hours on the ground in YVR at which point you will have to get off the plane with all of your baggage and clear Canada Customs. By the time you get back to the aircraft it should be cleaned, fuelled up and all ready to continue to Toronto so time isn't badly wasted.

AC34 is the same flight number YVR-YYZ, and you may only get 1 boarding pass SYD-YYZ which you will also use to board the YVR-YYZ segment, rather than separate SYD-YVR and YVR-YYZ passes be issued.

Not sure on the 1 vs. 2 boarding passes, I was issued a single boarding pass on a connecting (same flight number) AC flight BRU-YUL-YYZ. It was odd boarding a flight in Montreal with a boarding pass that didn't have Montreal anywhere on it! It won't make a difference to the process above though.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by winnipegrev

AC34 is the same flight number YVR-YYZ, and you may only get 1 boarding pass SYD-YYZ which you will also use to board the YVR-YYZ segment, rather than separate SYD-YVR and YVR-YYZ passes be issued.
You will get one BP in SYD and you will need it for both the SYD-YVR and YVR-YYZ legs. The BP makes no mention of the YVR stop.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:16 pm

So far, the separatists rebels in Quebec have not figured out what to do. They do have pens, newspapers, baguettes, and a lot of hot air, but I would think your flight will be safe.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K
AC34 YVR-YYZ is operated as domestic flight from the same gate at YVR. You don't get the free blanket and pillow anymore.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
So far, the separatists rebels in Quebec have not figured out what to do. They do have pens, newspapers, baguettes, and a lot of hot air, but I would think your flight will be safe.
What?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.